Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For anyone with sleep apnea, got the wife a SoClean2 used for sanitizing her mask and hose. Not selling it to anyone reading, but I am impressed with how it works. It uses activated o2 to kill any bacteria, fungus, or mold that decides to grow in your mask. However the unit is on the expensive side, about $300.

http://sleepingdoctor.com/how-does-soclean-work/
Edited post a bit.

Still feelings terrible. On stronger medication after my cultures checked out. Feeling much better than the other day, but there's room for improvement.
Hope you get to feeling better soon...

Last edited:
Reactions: 0388631

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Anyone with sleep apnea?
Alas! My husband suffers from it… and I suffer along.

*sigh*

Too many nights in the spare bedroom for me. :(

Earplugs go some way, but goodness when he gets going I think the neighbours sit up and wonder what magnitude earthquake just passed. The bed vibrates.

I feel sorry for him — immensely — because I can hear the constriction, and then the sudden gasp for air.

NHS doctors are pretty much hopeless at treating it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

*sigh*

Earplugs go some way, but goodness when he gets going I think the neighbours sit up and wonder what magnitude earthquake just passed. The bed vibrates.

I feel sorry for him — immensely — because I can hear the constriction, and then the sudden gasp for air.

My mother used to suffer from it, - the kind of cartoon lift the roof stuff, leading to oaths and muttered curses from me - if I didn't get to sleep before her - and I am nocturnal - I wouldn't get to sleep at all, as sleep was impossible.

Actually, you could hear her when you quietly opened the front door while sneaking home after a night in the pub.

Then, around two decades ago, she had some blood vessels cauterised in her nose, (after an especially appalling and explosive nosebleed, something she used to suffer from relatively regularly) followed, a few years later, (not for this malady, needless to say), by the installation of a pace-maker and several stents.

Something worked.

She hasn't snored since.

Last edited:

ProTruckDriver

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2016
Virginia
I've been on a VPAP Machine for the past 11 years because of Sleep Apnea. I'm currently using the AirCurve 10 Auto and I sleep like a baby all night long. Any CPAP / VPAP machine can only be bought with a prescription from a sleep Doctor. I can't sleep without the machine because I stop breathing about 30 times an hour. With the machine, no snoring, sleep all night long and wake up refreshed. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

*sigh*

Has your husband tried a CPAP machine? That resolved the issue for my wife. She says I too snore on occasion and I should probably do a sleep evaluation, but I do not have fatigue issues like my wife had before the machine. I could watch her chest heaving trying to breath and then a huge gasp, which disrupts sleep patterns and can be dangerous, as you probably know. Ear plugs could not shield my ears from the heavy duty snoring.

ProTruckDriver

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2016
Virginia
Many people don't know that Sleep Apnea can cause your right side of your heart to enlarge. Before going on a VPAP machine I also would gasp for air in my sleep for many years. At that time I thought this CPAP stuff was a lot of BS. Then it got so bad I would wake up from a sound sleep jumping out of bed onto my feet gasping for air then the acid reflex would set in with my heart pounding in my chest. This happened three times within 2 weeks. I decided to get it checked out. I went to see the family doctor. He took X-Rays of my chest. Sure enough, my heart was enlarged. I made an appointment with the Sleep Doctor for a sleep study. The sleep study at that time was to take 2 nights. The first night was to see if you have sleep apnea and the second night you sleep with a CPAP machine so they can adjust your settings. For me it only took 30 minutes after going to sleep on the first night. They woke me up and put a CPAP on me since I was so bad. It took about a week or two to get use to the machine. After the breaking in period I was sleeping like a baby. No more snoring, gasping for air or acid reflux, all gone. About a year later I had X-Rays done of my chest again. Enlarged heart, all gone. Heart is normal again. The heart condition is reversible if you catch it in time.
http://blog.cleveland.com/health/2009/02/sleep_apnea_treatment_can_redu.html

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
My mother used to suffer from it, - the kind of cartoon lift the roof stuff, leading to oaths and muttered curses from me - if I didn't get to sleep before her - and I am nocturnal - I wouldn't get to sleep at all, as sleep was impossible.
It is astonishing how loud a person's snoring can get.
I have investigated most earplugs and some do indeed help. What I hate about them though is it is unnatural for me to sleep without being alert to natural sounds. I dislike not being able to hear the owls or even the foxes having a mad run around — the birds early morning. *sigh*

He does come from a family of snorers though. Goodness I remember some nights spent under the same roof as his brothers and sisters. Sleep is an impossibility. :)

[doublepost=1545129931][/doublepost]
Has your husband tried a CPAP machine? That resolved the issue for my wife. She says I too snore on occasion and I should probably do a sleep evaluation, but I do not have fatigue issues like my wife had before the machine. I could watch her chest heaving trying to breath and then a huge gasp, which disrupts sleep patterns and can be dangerous, as you probably know. Ear plugs could not shield my ears from the heavy duty snoring.
The CPAP is next on the list.
I hope he gets some relief from it this coming year…

Your experience is exactly mine. The struggle to breathe and then the huge violent gasp for air. It is disconcerting… though when you yourself are struggling to find some sleep sympathy can run a bit low. To my shame. :oops:

[doublepost=1545130015][/doublepost]
Many people don't know that Sleep Apnea can cause your right side of your heart to enlarge. Before going on a VPAP machine I also would gasp for air in my sleep for many years. At that time I thought this CPAP stuff was a lot of BS. Then it got so bad I would wake up from a sound sleep jumping out of bed onto my feet gasping for air then the acid reflex would set in with my heart pounding in my chest. This happened three times within 2 weeks. I decided to get it checked out. I went to see the family doctor. He took X-Rays of my chest. Sure enough, my heart was enlarged. I made an appointment with the Sleep Doctor for a sleep study. The sleep study at that time was to take 2 nights. The first night was to see if you have sleep apnea and the second night you sleep with a CPAP machine so they can adjust your settings. For me it only took 30 minutes after going to sleep on the first night. They woke me up and put a CPAP on me since I was so bad. It took about a week or two to get use to the machine. After the breaking in period I was sleeping like a baby. No more snoring, gasping for air or acid reflux, all gone. About a year later I had X-Rays done of my chest again. Enlarged heart, all gone. Heart is normal again. The heart condition is reversible if you catch it in time.
Thanks for sharing. Many people laugh it off and snoring is often made fun of, but it can have huge health implications.
Congratulations on getting it sorted.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It is astonishing how loud a person's snoring can get.
I have investigated most earplugs and some do indeed help. What I hate about them though is it is unnatural for me to sleep without being alert to natural sounds. I dislike not being able to hear the owls or even the foxes having a mad run around — the birds early morning. *sigh*

He does come from a family of snorers though. Goodness I remember some nights spent under the same roof as his brothers and sisters. Sleep is an impossibility. :)

Funny you should say that, about how this trait can be found to run in families.

I recall once, when my mother's brother - a clergyman - and also a prolific snorer - was staying with us.

I had returned from the pub, and was standing at the bottom of the stairs, listening to this cacophonous duet of off-key snores from a floor above in two different rooms; they were incredibly loud, and utterly discordant.

Sneaking into bed undiscovered was not an issue those nights; getting to sleep was.

But, I agree with you; unless it is really deepest, darkest winter, I tend to sleep with my bedroom window open, as I, too, like to hear natural sounds (including the sibilant hiss of car tyres on a wet road which tells its own tale).

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anyone with sleep apnea? Just got the wife SoClean2 used for sanitizing her mask and hose. Not selling it to anyone reading, but I am impressed with how it works. It uses activated o2 to kill any bacteria, fungus, or mold that decides to grow in your mask. However the unit is on the expensive side, about $300.

http://sleepingdoctor.com/how-does-soclean-work/

Hope you get to feeling better soon...
I apologize for part of this post. I asked about anyone having sleep apnea and then realized it has been discussed before in this thread several times. :oops:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I assumed the enlarged heart is it trying to overcome lack of O2 in the blood. Just looked it up:
https://www.thoracic.org/patients/patient-resources/resources/obstructive-sleep-apnea-and-heart.pdf

Also with each one of the episodes, your body tells your heart to beat faster and your blood pressure to go up. Severe obstructive sleep apnea can also cause stress on your heart causing the heart to get enlarged. An enlarged heart can cause the heart to get less oxygen and work less efficiently.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProTruckDriver

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
My husband got a CPAP about a year ago, and the entire neighborhood has been thankful. It also took him only one night of the 2 night study because his was so bad. But we can actually sleep in the same room again. Of course, now that he's all settled it seems as though I've begun to snore badly, so I'll be going for a sleep study after the beginning of the year.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I sprained my patellar tendon and plantar plate and sustained an avulsion fracture while going off a diving board in June.
Sorry to hear that. Just a normal bounce?
[doublepost=1545952242][/doublepost]What do you all think about Homeopathic medicine?

This Christmas after being coughed on for 5 days, I got the initial symptoms of coming down with a bug, I assume a cold. When I told my wife, she said here try this: Zicam Cold Remedy (https://www.zicam.com), Shortens Colds. She had used and liked it when she got sick. The package has 20 individual swaps in a tube of liquid, and every 3-4 hours you are supposed to rub the inside of your nose with the liquid on this swab. So I said sure and started using it, and it has had a significant impact. Usually when I get a cold, if I take no medicine, my sinuses close up completely, which is miserable at night.

GUEST_b4c49418-b21d-4967-9ed4-721df3422c6b.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zicam
*Note: Zicam no longer included Zinc in its ingredients because of a warning from the FDA.

I just happened to notice that this medicine is labeled as Homeopathic, so I looked that up, me thinking "home remedy" and found: https://www.webmd.com/balance/what-is-homeopathy#1

Homeopathy is a medical system based on the belief that the body can cure itself. Those who practice it use tiny amounts of natural substances, like plants and minerals. They believe these stimulate the healing process.

It was developed in the late 1700s in Germany. It’s common in many European countries, but it’s not quite as popular in the United States.

Now my understanding is that some home cures work, and that medicine a long time ago, started with local knowledge of plants and their qualities.

Now here is the thing, what ever is in this plant based substance (benzalkonium chloride, dibasic sodium phosphate, eucayptol, eugenol, glycine, hypromellose, menthol, monobasic sodium phosphate, phenethyl alcohol, polysorbate 80, water, saccharin sodium, sodium chloride, succinct acid) works and has kept my nose open and I'm feeling pretty good too. If I have an issue is that they label it as a cold remedy. The fine print says that in trials it shortened the duration of a cold by 1 day. I don't know if I'd call that a remedy, but it definitely relieves symptoms.

If I was not taking this, I'd be taking a 12hr sudo-tab (phenylephrine hcl) during the day and a shot of 12hr nose spray at night. I also know that during previous colds, I've had cold symptoms from 7 to 10 days. I've been swabbing my nose since the evening of the 25th about every 4 hours.

Usually one of the big symptoms I get when a cold is just about over, is that I get a tickle in my throat and cough my head off. Waiting for that to happen. :)

Anyway, what do you think about homeopathic remedies? Some say they are the same a placebos.

Edited: changed phenylephrine to pseudoephedrine, the 12 hr stuff.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Oral phenyleprhine isn't good. Go to the RX counter and ask to buy a box of psuedoephedrine. While the current Zicam is more homeopathic, some of the ingredients do affect nasal blockage. Primarily the eucalyptol and menthol. 12 hour spray is Afrin or some derivative, I assume, since it has almost instantaneous effect. Just remember to avoid using it for more than three days.

Up until two days ago I was having issues with PND causing a dry cough. I went out to my favorite store and bought a sinus rinse kit and several jugs of distilled water. I assumed my nasal cavities/sinus was clean but I'd be lying if I said that. I'll leave out the details, but I'm feeling a lot better now with much, much less throat irritation.

Of course, you can ignore all medication for a mild cold and consume scotch or your choice of hard liquor by the glass and tuck in.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Oral phenyleprhine isn't good. Go to the RX counter and ask to buy a box of psuedoephedrine. While the current Zicam is more homeopathic, some of the ingredients do affect nasal blockage. Primarily the eucalyptol and menthol. 12 hour spray is Afrin or some derivative, I assume, since it has almost instantaneous effect. Just remember to avoid using it for more than three days.

Up until two days ago I was having issues with PND causing a dry cough. I went out to my favorite store and bought a sinus rinse kit and several jugs of distilled water. I assumed my nasal cavities/sinus was clean but I'd be lying if I said that. I'll leave out the details, but I'm feeling a lot better now with much, much less throat irritation.

Of course, you can ignore all medication for a mild cold and consume scotch or your choice of hard liquor by the glass and tuck in.
I misstated that and changed my post. The reference was to 12 hr Sudotabs, changed phenylephrine to pseudoephedrine. This morning I awoke to draining sinuses, and coughing, took a dose of the Zicam and the symptoms immediately abated. There has to be something to this other than placebo effect.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Reactions: AlliFlowers

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Keep waking up with headaches on the right side of my forehead. Been to an ENT, sinus etc all ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.