Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlySwinson

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2018
Manchester
I got dizzy some times when i suddenly stand up from a sitting position. It is a normal condition though and can happen to anyone because it is related to the blood flow going to your brain which got disrupted when you suddenly stand up.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I got dizzy some times when i suddenly stand up from a sitting position. It is a normal condition though and can happen to anyone because it is related to the blood flow going to your brain which got disrupted when you suddenly stand up.

I have this. It turned into me passing out 8+ times a day. I was in a wheelchair. It might be Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. Just keep your eye on it, if you do start passing out...

Go to a cardiologist that is familiar with POTS and ask for a tilt table test.

If it never gets worse, maybe check your vitamin levels and see an ENT?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
So thankfully it was just a huge, painful, benign polyp. No cancer or endometriosis. They do want to keep an eye out in the future though but for now, I'm good. Celebrated my birthday yesterday well and got a hangover.

At least I had fun and no more fear.

Very pleased for you that it has turned out so well.

And delighted that you enjoyed your birthday - you deserved to do so.

CarlySwinson

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2018
Manchester
I have this. It turned into me passing out 8+ times a day. I was in a wheelchair. It might be Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. Just keep your eye on it, if you do start passing out...

Go to a cardiologist that is familiar with POTS and ask for a tilt table test.

If it never gets worse, maybe check your vitamin levels and see an ENT?
Oh My God, That sounds awful I will surely checked it out. Thanks for the advice.

CarlySwinson

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2018
Manchester
If your physician should say to stop drinking gin, vodka, and whisky keep me in mind. I’ll take one for Team CarlySwinson and get rid of it for you.
Thanks for the support, i really appreciate it. I hope that my tests came clear but if my doctor advice me such thing then I will simply reduce the use of them.
P.S I will try to change my doctor first and see if this works :D

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for the support, i really appreciate it. I hope that my tests came clear but if my doctor advice me such thing then I will simply reduce the use of them.
P.S I will try to change my doctor first and see if this works :D

Lol....best wishes, seriously!

Signed,

The Philanthropist

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I had an appointment with my obgyn Tuesday, the one who did the surgery.

Turns out that benign polyp was in the early stages of necrosis due to a twisted blood vessel inside it.

Had I kept it, the necrosis could have spread and I may have ended up with sepsis. That was jaw dropping.

Today I'm off to see my psychiatrist.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

Turns out that benign polyp was in the early stages of necrosis due to a twisted blood vessel inside it.

Had I kept it, the necrosis could have spread and I may have ended up with sepsis. That was jaw dropping.

Wow, I am very glad it was caught before.

CarlySwinson

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2018
Manchester

Early diagnose of a disease is a blessing very few get in their life. I am glad you got rid of this disease. :)

Reactions: Huntn and Gutwrench

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A two weeks or so ago, I got a call from my wife who I found laying on the floor in extreme pain in her chest. She told me it felt like a gallbladder attack, but she had hers removed years ago, and the pain was so much, she feared a possible heart attack. Of note , it is not impossible to suffere a gal bladder like attack after it has been removed.

I called for an ambulance, and frick’n 30 minutes later when they arrived, the attack had subsided. They checked her out and did a quick EKG and all seemed ok. Still I took her to the Emergency Room and they found nothing. Her heart was good. She has an appointment with our family practishioner.

A couple of days ago, she told me she felt another attack coming on, although not as bad as the first and suddenly she associated eating jalapeño pepper on nachos, which we had that day, and also two weeks ago just prior to the first attack.

I looked up symptoms, and I’m leaning towards esophageal reflux, an online description said contractions of the esophocus can cause extreme pain and pressure in the chest. I have suffered from acid reflux (GERD) and am back to taking medication for it , but I’ve never suffered an attack like this. Any other impromptu diagnosis? ;)

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I looked up symptoms, and I’m leaning towards esophageal reflux, an online description said contractions of the esophocus can cause extreme pain and pressure in the chest. I have suffered from acid reflux (GERD) and am back to taking medication for it , but I’ve never suffered an attack like this. Any other impromptu diagnosis? ;)

I was going to suggest this even before I finished reading your post. The first time this happened to me (also the last!), was the first time I'd ever left school (work) in the middle of the day. I hurt so badly I thought my insides were being squeezed and I was going to implode. I was annoyed that the ER did not take me immediately as I was also convinced I was having a heart attack. I'm now taking something daily, and have had no other episodes. GERD is horrible.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was going to suggest this even before I finished reading your post. The first time this happened to me (also the last!), was the first time I'd ever left school (work) in the middle of the day. I hurt so badly I thought my insides were being squeezed and I was going to implode. I was annoyed that the ER did not take me immediately as I was also convinced I was having a heart attack. I'm now taking something daily, and have had no other episodes. GERD is horrible.
Thanks! :) Was it something you ate?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I wasn't able to narrow it down to any one thing. I eat a LOT of spicy foods, although unlike my brother I do not go for a jalapeño taco with a side of meat. Definitely didn't happen after a basket of fried jalapeños, so there's no telling.

Yes, spicy foods are a favourite of mine, too.

Sinus troubles used to afflict me a lot; these days, I remain hydrated, which has alleviated the issue to a large extent.

And, I used to suffer from murderous migraines, roughly once a year, but have not had one since I had my lower wisdom teeth removed nearly eight years ago.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Yes, spicy foods are a favourite of mine, too.

Sinus troubles used to afflict me a lot; these days, I remain hydrated, which has alleviated the issue to a large extent.

And, I used to suffer from murderous migraines, roughly once a year, but have not had one since I had my lower wisdom teeth removed nearly eight years ago.

As a kid I used to get annual migraines too. They always came in January and last for ~48 hours. Then disappear. The pain was incredible. I could not tolerate any light or sound.

I get a ride to the country hospital where Dr Ahn would give me a “hypo” of something that was intended to take the edge off so I could sleep and wait it out. I grew out of it but won’t forget them.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As a kid I used to get annual migraines too. They always came in January and last for ~48 hours. Then disappear. The pain was incredible. I could not tolerate any light or sound.

I get a ride to the country hospital where Dr Ahn would give me a “hypo” of something that was intended to take the edge off so I could sleep and wait it out. I grew out of it but won’t forget them.

Once started, - and you knew for around an hour or so that one was on the way - mine invariably lasted three days and were absolute agony; I couldn't bear light, or sound, couldn't eat, fell asleep with that pain in temple and behind eyeball, and awoke with it. Sometimes, not always, not even often, I vomited as well when the migraines kicked in.

On average, I would get one, around once every 12-15 months, and they ran like clockwork - very predictably - once when they did start; when I had one, no standard pain killer worked or worked for long.

I learned to identify some triggers, but that took time; stress, certainly was one. I recall once, getting a migraine when I had loads of term papers (we were working to a deadline, and that cost me three days) to grade and assess.

Reactions: Gutwrench

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
A two weeks or so ago, I got a call from my wife who I found laying on the floor in extreme pain in her chest. She told me it felt like a gallbladder attack, but she had hers removed years ago, and the pain was so much, she feared a possible heart attack. Of note , it is not impossible to suffere a gal bladder like attack after it has been removed.

I called for an ambulance, and frick’n 30 minutes later when they arrived, the attack had subsided. They checked her out and did a quick EKG and all seemed ok. Still I took her to the Emergency Room and they found nothing. Her heart was good. She has an appointment with our family practishioner.

A couple of days ago, she told me she felt another attack coming on, although not as bad as the first and suddenly she associated eating jalapeño pepper on nachos, which we had that day, and also two weeks ago just prior to the first attack.

Is that the same as what they call esphageal spasm? It IS incredibly painful, and makes you think you're having a heart attack. The first time it happened, it woke me up, and stupidly I went to the computer to google the symptom instead of going right to the ER (I had no way of knowing it wasn't a heart attack, since their presentation isn't always clear in women). Next time I was in rehab after my stroke, and the PT sent me right to the emergency room, and I ended up staying two nights in the hospital so they could check my cardiac emzymes and do an ultrasound of my heart, both of which checked out. The doctor said it was very likely esophageal spasm.

You can let your wife know that I have actually found one thing that heads it off at the pass if she can do it as soon as she notices it starting: drink some cool water. If I can get to a sink fast enough, I can stop it from progressing. If not, the attacks last almost exactly 22 minutes in my case. And like I said, very painful.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is that the same as what they call esphageal spasm? It IS incredibly painful, and makes you think you're having a heart attack. The first time it happened, it woke me up, and stupidly I went to the computer to google the symptom instead of going right to the ER (I had no way of knowing it wasn't a heart attack, since their presentation isn't always clear in women). Next time I was in rehab after my stroke, and the PT sent me right to the emergency room, and I ended up staying two nights in the hospital so they could check my cardiac emzymes and do an ultrasound of my heart, both of which checked out. The doctor said it was very likely esophageal spasm.

You can let your wife know that I have actually found one thing that heads it off at the pass if she can do it as soon as she notices it starting: drink some cool water. If I can get to a sink fast enough, I can stop it from progressing. If not, the attacks last almost exactly 22 minutes in my case. And like I said, very painful.
Yes, I think that is what it is and thanks for this suggestion!

Reactions: annk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.