Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Having watched a few recently during the SciFi (or however it's now spelled) marathon on New Year's Eve/Day, I was wondering what some of you considered your favorite episode?

Mine has always been The Monsters are Due on Maple Street where a neighborhood turns against itself due to fear and paranoia...

Try to link to the Wikipedia entry for the episode you choose so we can quickly see a plot summary. I think every last episode has a Wikipedia page devoted to it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What's that one where a girl sees herself leave for the bus? I recall so few but that one was one I could recall.

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
The people with the Pig Faces!!!

I liked the more modern colored episodes & all the twilight zone movies were quite good. Remember John Litgow in the plane & he was scared cause there was a demon on the planes wing. By the way...remember the other shows that had the same type of style like : Tales from the darkside,Amazing Stories, Tales from the crypt and Monsters. These were some of my favorite shows. If you guys like these type of shows you guys should consider watching a movie called Creepshow.

Attachments

• 2742017570100752951S425x425Q85.jpg
    2742017570100752951S425x425Q85.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 45

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
I think I might be the only person alive today who hates the original Twilight Zone. The New Twilight Zone was so much better. Is this on anymore?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The people with the Pig Faces!!!

I even loved the spoof they did of that episode on SNL.

That was an excellent episode. I don't have an original Twilight Zone favorite, but several. It's been a while since I've thought about it, but here is a sampling of my favorites that initially come to mind: the gremlin on the airplane wing and only one man sees it, the one where the astronaut becomes master of the itty-bitty civilization and then falls prey to a larger entity, the criminal who has been serving out his sentence on the asteroid, but when they come to bring him home, he does not want to leave his girl friend, and the one where the man in the apartment fights the little aliens who in the end resort to a mini-nuc (or something like that). :D

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
The gremlin on the airplane wing episode is the only one I remember. It really freaked me out when I was a kid. Great episode!

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
The gremlin on the airplane wing episode is the only one I remember. It really freaked me out when I was a kid. Great episode!

I prefer the other Shatner one...I believe the the official title is "Pimped-out Devil Bobble-head Fortune Teller"

"Will...we ever...leave this....town?"

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I liked the more modern colored episodes & all the twilight zone movies were quite good. Remember John Litgow in the plane & he was scared cause there was a demon on the planes wing.

That version of Nightmare At 20,000 Feet was in the movie. The original series' version starred a pre-Trek William Shatner. (Yes, Wikipedia is my friend. How'd you guess?)

A handful of episodes stand out for me: To Serve Man ("Don't get on that spaceship-- the book! It's a COOKBOOK!); The Midnight Sun (a woman suffers in her hot apartment building as the Earth spirals closer to the Sun); and Living Doll ("I'm Talky Tina, and I'm going to KILL YOU"). That last one has taken on new meaning for me, as my mom gave my daughter one of those porcelain heirloom dolls for Christmas, and it looks somewhat creepy.

My favorite though, by a small margin, is Time Enough At Last, with Burgess Meredith as a bank clerk and avid reader who discovers that he is the sole survivor of a nuclear holocaust.

I think I might be the only person alive today who hates the original Twilight Zone. The New Twilight Zone was so much better.

The only New TZ story I remember seeing was called Wordplay; a man goes to work one morning, to find that the entire English language has been rearranged.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Oh, To Serve Man, outstanding! And I'll add the episode when the airliner flies through a storm and they go back in time, a couple of times. :D

quadG5guy

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Richmond, VA

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Yes, that one is an absolute masterpiece.

I also really like the A Stop at Willoughby episode: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Stop_at_Willoughby

And the one where the janitor steals the time machine helmet and goes back in time to 1890, what he perceived as "the good old days", but then soon hated it due to lack of the modern living that he was accustomed to.

Oh yeah, that IS a good one!

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
That version of Nightmare At 20,000 Feet was in the movie. The original series' version starred a pre-Trek William Shatner. (Yes, Wikipedia is my friend. How'd you guess?)

A handful of episodes stand out for me: To Serve Man ("Don't get on that spaceship-- the book! It's a COOKBOOK!); The Midnight Sun (a woman suffers in her hot apartment building as the Earth spirals closer to the Sun); and Living Doll ("I'm Talky Tina, and I'm going to KILL YOU"). That last one has taken on new meaning for me, as my mom gave my daughter one of those porcelain heirloom dolls for Christmas, and it looks somewhat creepy.

My favorite though, by a small margin, is Time Enough At Last, with Burgess Meredith as a bank clerk and avid reader who discovers that he is the sole survivor of a nuclear holocaust.

The only New TZ story I remember seeing was called Wordplay; a man goes to work one morning, to find that the entire English language has been rearranged.

Honey, dinosaur is ready!

Dinosaur???

Yeah, you love dinosaur. It's ready.

Yep, great episode. Another great one was where the woman found a medallion on a necklace while she was digging her flower garden. It let her stop the world when she yelled "shut up!" At the end of the episode, she stopped the world and looked up in the sky and saw a nuclear missile coming down on her town. Yeah, the new Twilight Zone was so much better.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
"And When the Sky Was Opened". Astronauts go up into space (remember, this was when almost nobody had ever done it before), return home...and start disappearing -- for absolutely no reason! If that's not bizarre enough, nobody remembers these guys even existed, except for one of the remaining astronauts, who is terrified that he'll be next.

The scariest thing of all in that episode is, they never explained anything. Which just made it incredibly, incredibly creepy.

Runners-up: "The Howling Man", about someone who claims they've captured Satan in their cellar...and "The Odyssey of Flight 33", in which a jet gets lost in a time warp. (Sounds like a good idea for a TV series, huh?)

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
And the one where the janitor steals the time machine helmet and goes back in time to 1890, what he perceived as "the good old days", but then soon hated it due to lack of the modern living that he was accustomed to.

Does anyone know the name of this one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.