What's your bootup time on your MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Razeus, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Razeus macrumors 603

I'm trying to determine, even after a visit to the Apple store and clean install, if my boot up time is sub-optimal. It's still taking over a minute to bootup to the desktop (from the start up sound). What's ya'lls times for booting up?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

30 seconds after a fresh install, 45 seconds after a while and sometimes even 1 minute and some seconds if it has a bad day.

The HDD is a 500GB 7.200rpm Seagate Momentus and the processor has two cores with 2.8GHz.

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

From pushing the button to usable was ~38 seconds. Now it's gone up to about ~42 since the last firmware update. Sometimes my computer seems to take considerably longer to start up than others. A minute isn't really that bad and I wouldn't say it's a problem.

4. wesrk macrumors 6502a

early 08 mbp, freshly installed SL on early september and now has a bunch of stuff, it takes 38 seconds even from the sound to the desktop showing.

5. glavoie84 macrumors regular

16 secs from pushing the power button to desktop and apps completely loaded... and I have to type my user account password. Does it count? (coughx25mcough)

6. phixiuz macrumors regular

7. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

8. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

Who cares how long it takes? How often are you cold booting your machine that these few seconds of boot time are so valuable to you? :confused:

9. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

Because I'm trying to solve an issue with my MBP in which I believe I have a failing HDD

Anyways. Switched out the Seagate hard drive for a Hitachi. Boot up on the Hitachi is back to what I have been accustomed to, which is 30-40 seconds.

I'm chalking this up to a faulty Seagate (which is my 2nd in less than a year plus an External Desktop) drive. No longer will I use Seagate.

10. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Not everyone leaves their computers on 24/7. When I go out to locations I would rather not carry my laptop around while it's sleeping. The newer MBPs seem to be better at staying asleep with the lid closed than past Apple laptops because there have been reports of past laptops' lid accidentally opening waking up the computers and because they are in nice well insulted laptop bags their laptops ended up frying itself.

I know this problem isn't common but it can happen. My PowerBook has a latch button which can easily be accidentally pushed compared to my unibody MBP that doesn't have a latch button. Even if the laptop doesn't fry it uses up battery power and when I'm out on locations I don't always have access to a power outlet so every minute of battery life is valuable especially when I used my PowerBook since it's battery charge doesn't last as long as the newer MBPs.

Because of all this I would rather turn off my laptops and then do a cold start. A fast start up time and shut down time is much appreciated and has always been one of the things I liked about Macs compared to Windows.

11. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

25 seconds to desktop with auto login. this is with the ocz vertex ssd

around3-5 seconds faster without auto login

12. steagle macrumors newbie

seems to be about 10 seconds, haven't timed it yet but this thread has inspired me to do so!

13. glavoie84 macrumors regular

14. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I am running a 13/8GB/160XM25 + 320WD_7K in the Optibay.

When I was at 4GB of ram I was at 10-14 second boot times, now it is more like 17-20 with 8GB. I also have 100GB on my 160 covering 800K in files, not that it really matters much, it still benches 250-270 in the tests.

I really wish there were a terminal command to not have the Optibay mount on start up, I would rather have it be just the SSD on boot.

15. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I have the 80 GB 2nd gen Intel SSD and it still takes my 15" Unibody MBP ~30 seconds to cold boot to the desktop. Most of the time is spent on the White screen with the Apple logo, after that screen, the desktop pops up very quickly thanks to the SSD.

16. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

Bootup time is not a litmus test for a failing hard drive. Download SmartReporter or something similar that reads the SMART status of the drive. That will tell you if there are excessive errors being reported by the drive's controller.

17. prodigee macrumors 6502a

My 13" normally takes about 45 seconds. I hardly ever do a full shutdown, or restart, so its really not that bad.:apple:

18. Mumford macrumors regular

I have the BTO SSD (Toshiba) in my Unibody MBP. It just booted in ~30 sec. Most of that time was spent loading the various VMware modules (and also on logging in since I have Automatic Login disabled). I could probably shave it down to less than 20 sec.

19. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

Just tested my newly installed 160gb intel ssd, 14.7 seconds bootup from sound to desktop.

20. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I cold boot my MBP almost every day.
    While I'm keeping my Mini always on, putting it on stop only when not in use, I'm not going to waste loadcycles on my MBP's battery if not really needed.
    BTW boot time for my MBP is 40".

22. puke macrumors regular

12 seconds (brand new macbook pro 2.66ghz 4gb ram etcetc) had it for about a week now.

23. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

12 seconds ?!? :eek:

I think it's simply impossible ...
    Do you have an SSD inside ?

24. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I agree, I've never seen a Mac boot that quickly, and that one isn't even particularly high spec. :confused:

25. Eruanno macrumors newbie

With the stock 160gig 5400 RPM in my MBP 13-inch I would say it takes between 30 and 60 seconds to boot. For comparison, my Windows 7 machine takes somewhere between 45 seconds and 1 minute-some seconds to boot (slightly slower :p)

It's all very scientific!