What's your dream setup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yumunum, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

It doesn't necessarily have to be crazy or anything, but if you could rearrange and change your setup right now, what would you want it to be? I'll start...

Apple Thunderbolt display, an (almost) maxed out 27-inch iMac (both on my desk), and a 50" TV on the wall next to my desk, also hooked up to the computer (for movies, gaming, ect.) It would also be handy for when I have guests over, and I wanna show them a video or something. I'd just drag the YouTube window to the right and BAM, big screen!

Then I'd have an 11-inch 64GB MBA for any portable needs. (note taking, Starbucks, ect.)

And of course, the iCloud would help keep things in sync incase I needed media on the Air.

I'd be one happy man if I could afford that currently...

What about you guys (or girls)?

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I'd sell my 13 inch MBP and get rid of my desktop. The hardwire my place, get airplay setup everywhere. Get a 27" iMac, base model 13 inch MBA and an iPad.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Dream setup?

For Apple to stop forcing us professional users to accept iOS as part of OS X. I don't care about all the fart apps, angry birds and other nonsense when I'm trying to get my engineering work done. Leave that stuff in the entertainment, consumer space. On my iPhone or iPad it's fine, just don't dilute the OS I rely on.

Yes, yes, I know... Many of you have already argued those features can be turned off. But I can tell you after buying a fresh new MBA with Lion, just so I could experience it for myself without screwing up one of my wonderful fast & bug free Mac Pro's or MBP's, Lion is fine to play with & ideal for beginners, but it's of no benefit to me.

Too bad it's too late, Apples addicted to more money, more money, and lip service to the professional.

It's all about appealing to those who are in need of more entertainment and unwilling to learn something new. It's about being Magical. Bleh

4. timotay89 macrumors regular

Dream setup:

Mindport, a new (maybe wireless) piece of hardware that can read my mind. If I want resume to restart everything, then it will, but if my mind tells it not too, it won't. When I click the wrong app on the dock, mindport know this and just opens the right one. When moving an image around in pages, mindport puts it exactly where I want it with the exact correct size.

Also, Mindport would know to stop switching mindport to mind port.

In reality:

Massive SSD, min of 4 USB 3.0 ports, firewire, thunderbolt, the old power adapters that were easier to pop out if needed, HDMI port too (why not?), Safari that stopped giving me the pinwheel all the time, SD slot, and more.

5. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Haha, that dream setup is pretty much what anyone would want. Think about it, computing would be so amazingly quick... Just a thought and x y z is done

6. darels macrumors member

Change my MBP 13 to MBP 15 2.2 ghz hi res display, and get and iPad 2, also make my iPhone 4 factory unlocked, thats all i need now. :)

7. Gofre macrumors regular

27" iMac with i7, 256GB SSD and 2GB graphics, an entry level Air for moving around, and a Thunderbolt display for dual screen setup. It's all hypothetical of course and I could go nuts, but that there would suit me right down to the ground. And my iPhone, of course!

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Maxed out Mac Pro with 2 27" ACD and some high end studio monitors plugged in.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

My dream setup is a
    Ivy Bridge Quad Core MBP with 28nm GPU 2GB GDDR5. The GPU is hopefully about as fast as current 560M class GPUs or even faster like a 6970M.
    A Thunderbolt dockingstation that can feed 2 displays. A 27" display but not the Apple one because I cannot stand glass glare even indoors. I would get one from Dell or something.

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'd have a 13" MBP with a 1TB internal drive (actually probably will have that part within 2-3 months), then a 27" ACD and a wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad as well as a 2-3TB hard drive on my desk, with some nice speakers. I doubt I'll do that part for a while, but at some point I expect to have a docking station with a monitor of some type in my office.

jW

11. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

15" Ultimate MBP
    Mac Pro
    Apple Display 27"
    Bang and Olufsen(B&O) BeoSound 9000

12. murdercitydevil, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

2012 MBP highest end 15"
    iPad 2
    new top-o-the-line hackintosh
    Thunderbolt display
    and an MBA just for the hell of it

EDIT: might as well add a huge TV for my room and a new sound system. Wouldn't mind a new desk either.

13. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    I have the 2011 17" MBP
    vertex 3 SSd/optibay

My dream set-up would be:

Office
    Consumer level TB peripherals - a extn harddrive enclosure ofr my number of old ssds would be fab.

Working usb3 expresscard for this rather less redundant slot in my MBP (when compared to TB - atm)

ATD 32"

Vidock with desktop grade graphic processor

Lounge
    50" OLED TV
    NAS Drive with 3gb of my data
    9.1 DTS digital amp with surround

Bedroom
    Leather premium TV bed - connected wireless-ly to a 13" MBA
    Bose wireless speakers

14. ViviUO macrumors 6502

The setup I have now.

2.2 i7 MBP + 23'' ACD
    DP 2.5 G5 + 20'' ACD

A bunch of other Macs about the house.

15. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

sell my mbp 13 and get a imac 21 inch for desk and an ipad 2 or mba 11 inch for mobile.

sell my netbook, get beats by dre

16. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i just want my computer to talk like on star trek XD

17. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

with text to voice this might not be that far off!

18. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

13" MBP with a good graphics card and a fast SSD
    51" 1080p plasma
    HTPC: 2011 "ultimate" Mac Mini with a fast SSD
    37" 1080p LED LCD
    10TB+ NAS
    6.1 surround
    40Mbps down Internet, I could care less about upload speeds because I don't seed.
    Keyboard and trackpad on my iPhone 4 for when my laptop is hooked to the TV, and for the HTPC

Lucky me, aside from the Mac Mini, I have my dream set-up :) The only thing I would like that I can't have would be for my 13" to have a 1920x1200 screen, which I am not expecting anytime soon...

19. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

i think next rev, which is supposed to be a grand update will give at least 1440x whatever

20. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

My Dream Set up:
    1 MacPro with maxed out settings with apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse connected to 3 Apple Cinema Display.
    MacBook Pro 17in in the middle with Apple keyboard and magic trackpad.

Thats all Id really need XD

21. ZiggyZidel macrumors member

Current Settup: Posted in sig

Dream: 13" Macbook Air Ultimate for note taking and school, 27" iMac for heavy lifting

22. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

1440x900 would be nice, but for me to upgrade I'd have to see 1680x1050. Performance wise my 7,1 does everything I need very well; the only thing I would be buying the new one for is the screen, so the screen will have to be a big step up to justify dropping a grand.

23. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd like to have a Windows 8 tablet that I can dock to use as a desktop, and will file access from anywhere to my home server. A device I can connect to my TV to watch videos from online, as well as a home server. A laptop (with a high res screen and legit graphics card!) that I can log in and have access to all of my files stored on a home server, or dock to use as a 13" desktop.

24. Prodo123, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Dream setup:
    16-core Ivy Bridge Mac Pro with 3 4k-resolution Thunderbolt Displays hooked up to 40TB of Pegasus Thunderbolt Arrays, with 10TB SSD local storage, 128GB RAM, Dual ASUS MARS II (GTX 580), Blu-ray support, liquid cooling system.
    All for $100.

25. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030