Whats your "Durable phone"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikemanblah, Jul 20, 2010.

1. mikemanblah macrumors regular

Well, if you are getting a phone that is durable that you wouldn't mind too much if it breaks, post here.
    Uses for this phone may be:
    Amusement parks
    doing dangerous activities
    etc

What "POS" phone will you be getting?

I'm thinking about getting an iphone 3g on ebay because of the plastic back and they're mega cheap atm. Do you think i could get one for under 160?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You should use your regular phone, just protect it appropriately based on activity you are doing at the time.

3. mikemanblah thread starter macrumors regular

When i'm dirtbiking i really don't want to risk my iphone 4. Plus i would let my mom use it as an ipod touch when im not using it

4. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

When I go to the gym and have to leave my phone in the car, or if I am going for a hike or something, I forward all my calls to my Droid Eris work phone and leave my Iphone 4 at home.

I don't care what happens to my work phone, my Iphone 4 is my precious. :D

5. mikemanblah thread starter macrumors regular

I also want it so i can not worry about losing it

6. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Blackberry Tour for me. I've dropped it all kinds of times and works like a champ. :cool:

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I currently have a Samsung Mantra that takes a beating pretty well. But it'll be deactivated once I try out the iPhone and decide to keep it.

8. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

I have a few throwaway phones. It is nice to not worry about breaking them.:D

9. chrisc983 macrumors member

I'm new to AT&T. How do you forward calls? Do you have to pay more for this feature?

10. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

11. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

12. No ice please macrumors 6502

For when I'm out on my quad a LG Shine or maybe my iPhone in it case mate full covering.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't have one, as I would rather not switch phones. However I do still have my Motorola Q9h in case something happens to my iPhone.

14. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I picked up a nokia 2330 for $30.

Got it for two reason.

1) Mainly to have a spare/temp phone to use while I return my iPhone 4 and in future when I sell.
    2) When I go biking, etc..

I like the nokia for the fact the way the sim is secured. It uses a fullsize sim, but it has a gate that holds the sim down so I just position my micro over it correctly and it works. May get an adapter in the future but not a necc

15. L.C.W. macrumors regular

L.C.W.

I have a V3xx that I use. Made a microSIM adapter from an old SIM to be able to use my iP4 SIM. Works great.

16. terps2005 macrumors member

I bought a refurb nokia flip go phone from att for 8 bucks. I forward my iPhone calls to it when I don't want to risk the iPhone. I have a motorola Q and a 3G iPhone at the bottom of the bay so I would rather not risk that anymore.

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

Nokia makes some of the most durable and reliable phones. Cheap too. Get a $20 T-Mobile prepaid Nokia phone as an emergency backup hidden in your car, and you should be good to go. The dumbphones act like better "phones" because all the bells and whistles aren't crammed into the device to kill battery like the smartphones.

My Nokia N82 is now my durable phone. Nokia may use this cheap plastic feeling, but it tends to "bounce" off when it hits concrete. The irony here is my N82 is in excellent condition after 2.5 years. No scratches on either side. Only used a holster case for it and left the original screen protector on even though the edges got dirty. I only dropped it ONCE on concrete and my shoes broke most of the fall and impact. It was a 3ft drop. Only a tiny scruff mark on the bottom corner that went away after rubbing it. I have it on sale on Craigslist because I want to get a BlackBerry Bold 9000. My N82's battery needs a replacement and the meter is inaccurate.

Nokia is using some durable materials for their N8.

18. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I have an old G1 but I don't use it...that thing is pretty much indestructible though.

19. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Mine is/was my Sony Ericsson w810i. That thing has taken a beating and still runs like a champ (including the battery!). Are there any microSIM adapters available online? Are there any cheap phones that use microSIM yet?

20. Steveo47 macrumors regular

Blackberry storm 9530 (Storm 1) Ive dropped it so many times, thrown it around and it hasent broke. Plus i hate the phone, so tired of blackberry OS. I can throw the phone around, and it doesnt break, but one i put it in mypocket, took it out and the screen broke.....

21. err404 macrumors 68020

If an activity is too dangerous for my iPhone, I just don't take it with me. It's nice to be disconnected when I'm in the great outdoors.
    If I'm at the beach, I just use a ziplock bag to avoid sand.

22. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have the original iPhone that I use when I'm at the beach or at an amusement park where I don't want to risk damaging my 3GS. For example, I'm going to Disney in about a month, and will bring both iPhone's. If we're doing a water park that day, I'll pop the SIM out of my 3GS and place it in my 1G. Thus, I don't have to worry about damaging the phone somehow (yet I still have a phone on me in case someone needs to reach me).

23. mikemanblah thread starter macrumors regular

24. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

My "Durable" phone is an iPhone 4 in an Otterbox Defender Case. I'll have the case as soon as they come out.