What's your favourite SL feature?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iSlave, Sep 6, 2009.

1. iSlave macrumors 6502

Mine? Dock Expose, which I'm finding insanely useful! :)

2. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I love the minimize to app feature as well as list view when you clock on stacks. Though it may have been there in Leopard, I never saw it.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

New Stacks, and Dock Expose are both excellent.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

For me there's more than just one new feature. I love the new Dock/Expose integration. Love the new dark contextual menus in the Dock. Love the new minimize feature into the the Dock application icon. Love the fact that I can two finger tap on the System Preferences icon and all the apps in System Preferences show up in a contextual menu without opening System Preferences.
    Love the new toolbar in Preview.
    Love the new Quicklook features in Expose.
    Love the new Services contextual menus and customizations.
    Love the features in Automator.

I love the new look of Quicktime, the black interface is very cool.
    Stacks is finally useful in grid view. THANK YOU.

Less reasons to have to depend on Windows and Office 2007 now that Exchange support is built in. Saves me money. :D

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I'm hard pressed to find anything that really blows me away in SL. Of course I knew this going in.

I suppose the enhanced Expose is nicer. I like seeing the text label under each window now. When having 10 windows open on a 13" screen they all started to look alike under 10.5 since they were so tiny. But I still don't like how the windows change positions - I still have to hunt for them.

8. MacMonster1985 macrumors member

Your money is going straight to Microsoft for Exchange.

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Did you know that you can press the Space Bar and zoom in on each window in expose?

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ha ha, true. :D. Honestly I could care less where the money goes as long as I don't have to spend extra and if a portion of my $29 for SL goes towards Microsoft to reduce my needs for Windows then that's worth the price of admission. :D

11. rfrankl macrumors 6502

The new stacks where you can keep searching down folder levels without the finder opening.

I do like the minimize to app and dock expose as well.

12. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

I LOVE the new Stacks. If you drop your home folder into the stacks area you can turn it into a stack and access almost all of you computer just from stacks!!! You could technically do the same with your hard drive and then you would be able to access your entire comp from stack without ever opening Finder.

The picture shows how this is implemented.

And the new Dock/Exposé is really nice as well.

Attached Files:

13. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

gcd+blocks. Quite unexpectedly transformed the way I write code.

14. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

The little slider on Finder windows for adjusting the icon size. In video and picture folders that makes life so much easier.

15. irbdavid macrumors regular

irbdavid

Right-click contextual menus in the dock need some work - how come iCal doesn't have a 'quick add event' type thing? The only reason you'd ever want to right-click on the iCal dock icon...

Also - blue glow in expose? Hardly fits with the rest of the UI.

16. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

has anyone else noticed the new expose is set up in a way that would make it really easy for a touch screen?

17. dyn macrumors 68030

I really like the way Expose works now, very useful, especially when you have a lot of windows on your screen. The best feature however is most definitely the renewed services because it now became very useful. In Leopard you had services, folder actions and those workflow things that would fill the context menu. Right now it's just services. You can expand it so it can work in different programs or all of them which is really nice. It makes things like emailing files, compressing items and renaming a batch of files very easy.

18. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Considering Mac OS X's theme has always been blue...

My favorite features are the icon resizing in the Finder (512*512!!! is amazing), and Dock Exposé.

20. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

i dunno if this is new to SL or if it was in Leopard since I just upgraded from Tiger, but I like the command-option-eject Sleep shortcut. Also liking the list view for folders in the dock. Ever since Jaguar i think i've been putting my Applications window in the dock and right clicking it to launch non-dock apps, but the right-click on Dock folders into list view was always slow, even in Tiger. Now a folder set to list view in the dock opens really fast. Just started keeping my Home folder in there, thanks to someone's advice on this thread. I used to make an Alias to the home folder on the desktop, but this works much better. Grid view is kinda cool, but not as practical (I guess Fan view was a fad?). The black background list view menus look very nice.

Everything in the Finder in general is animated nicely and smoothly. The Exposé updates are nice, but I don't know if i'll really fall into the habit of using them. Likewise for Spaces, I can't seem to get into using that. Maybe when I get back to work and start having Matlab and lots of spreadsheets open (again I'm coming from 10.4). Also enjoying Time Machine finally. iCal and Mail both sync up with the free online Google equivalents nicely, so I can't really see much of a need for Mobile Me. I got the Mac Box Set so I'm liking iWork a lot. And oh ya, Quicktime X is nice looking, I'm glad Perian still works with it!

Overall, I'd say it's made my 26 month old MacBook Pro feel brand new again. I've always upgraded OS every second major update (to get more bang for the buck, that's all), so this should last me until maybe 10.8 when I might be ready for a new computer finally.

21. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

That picture made me dizzy. The arrows are totally pointing the wrong way O_O

22. Syonidism macrumors regular

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No. How do you figure? With the multi-level menus?

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What menus in Exposé???

25. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Dock/Expose along with the new nvidia 8600m gt graphics drivers. In leopard the dock was painfully slow animating it's effects. Even on my 2.8 iMac.
    Not it's all as smooth as butter :)