What's your MRoutine?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by SilentPanda, Jul 26, 2010.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

What is your typical MacRumors browsing routine? How do you browse the site? What's your "go to" page when you come here?

Just curious what ways people use the site. I/we might even learn of a new feature or two!

2. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Straight to Forum Spy, then whatever's of interest.

I've requested before, but will mention it again: It'd be great to have a "My Profile" link on the Front Page. It'd save a click or two when you want to follow your previous conversations. It'd also be nice to see which threads you've posted in on Forum Spy. not just the ones you've subscribed to. There's a lot to wade thru on the boards these days so anything to make it easier to keep current would be appreciated!!!

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I used to always use this search at the start of each session but now that's all shot to hell. I still do the search but the results are not in their correct recent-replies order so I just do my best to get through. I haven't felt like I can keep very good track ever since though. :-S

Other than that I just use forum spy and click into specific forums as needed.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

First check my subscriptions of course (I have automated subscription to every thread I reply). After that, I browse through the Mac related forums and search for threads with no replies. After that, it's time for Forum Spy. I can easily spend an hour replying to my subs and then several more for other stuff :p

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As I'm not a really a regular user here, I just go to the Forum Spy and let it show me some of its offerings. I also reload my Subscriptions page every once in a while to see, if someone replied to the threads I participated, especially after I went to the loo*.

I used to browse the individual fora before I discovered Forum Spy, but now I just do it from time to time, the only sub-fora I regularly visit are Digital Photography and Digital Video. If I browse the individual fora, I look for threads with no replies and see I might know a thing or three about the issue.

I also often use MRoogle to produce links to similar threads I participate in.

I also spend much time formatting my posts and even edit them, if I discover a spelling or grammar hiccup, even after weeks of having made the post.

I also like the [​IMG] button very much and I would like to know, how mods and admins see those reports. Do those reports go into one repository or are they filtered and do mods/admins delete those after they have been taking care of?

* bed

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Routine?
    I just have Forum Spy running…
    Give it a look now and then to see if anything interesting has scrolled up.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Still a "New Posts" guy but I have a lot of sub-forums turned off.

8. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

User CP to check subscriptions, then my favorite forum, than Forum Spy.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When I first come here, I go to the User CP to see what threads I'm subscribed to have new posts.
    After reading/replying to those, I have a bookmarked customized search to find posts in the past 24 hours, excluding forums I'm not interested in. I generally look for questions that haven't been answered yet, or need additional information. Once I've gone through those, I use Forum Spy to track the forums I'm interested in.

I have SafariStand set up with right-click searches of MRoogle, Apple Support, Google, Wikipedia, etc. so I can quickly find threads and sites to quote in answering questions. When I find such links, I frequently "Copy Link HTML Tag" and paste here to convert to BBcode, for pasting in the forum. I'd like to find a more automated way to do that without going to another site, like a right-click special paste that would convert it automatically.

I also have a stack of text files on my Dock containing answers to frequently-asked questions that I can copy and paste to save retyping. (my CTS is bad enough!)

Recently, I've started checking profiles of newbies asking questions, to see how many posts they have. Approximately a third of all members have zero posts, a third have only one post, and a third have more than one post. That tells me that a first-time poster has about a 66% chance of never responding if I answer or ask for additional information, so I use that as part of my decision as to whether or not to respond.

It would be helpful if post count was visible on each post, under the poster's name, as it is on some other forums. While it's not always valid, it does give some idea of how committed someone is to the forum and how knowledgeable they may be. Generally speaking, someone who has been here for a couple years and has 1,000 posts is more likely to have learned accurate answers to common questions than someone who joined yesterday and has 2 posts.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Forum Spy, where else. I then go to individual forums to see if someone wanted help from hours ago. I also try to find responses I made the day before to see if the poster got his problem fixed.

11. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't think it's terribly top secret information so I'll divulge here. Actually I might confer with the other mods real quick (real quick in mod time is 3 weeks) and possibly make a whole new helpful topic regarding it! In short a new thread gets made in a subforum with the information you provided and we look at it. Not very glamorous. :p

Overall you sound way more advanced than most... :p I think a lot of users get to this forum via google. So to an extent, telling a user to search might not help since it was the search that brought them here to MR in the first place. I know there are a few forums (2 I can think of right now) that I've posted only about 3 posts in the past several years, most being questions. They're for things I just don't know a lot about but pertain to me. I don't think the users are being rude. They just view MacRumors different than people who have been here for years. Some people are just Internet savvy enough to ask a question and don't really feel the human behind it. They don't really know forum etiquette past figuring out how to make a post. So once they get their answer I think it's natural for them to leave and not come back until they have another issue. They also don't persist in the forums like some of us do and so aren't aware that 30 other people made the same topic that day.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

True. That's why I expect a first-time poster to be unfamiliar with MRoogle, whereas someone who's been around for a while should know about searching.
    I don't think that one-time posters are being rude, and I certainly don't expect anyone to come back and say "thanks" for an answer, but I don't hold my breath on getting a response if I ask for more information. Also, if a first-time poster's question sounds nonsensical, frivolous or insincere, I'm more likely to leave that to others to answer, if they choose.
    Indeed! Only about 5% have 50 or more posts.

13. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I usually answer most of everybodys problems inside the iPod Touch forum, see if i can help with the iPhone forum, even though its pretty bad, go to community discussion, look if theres anything interesting, and then go here. :)

14. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

My typical visit:
    1. Check the front page
    2. Head directly to the Web Design/Development forum via bookmark (where I spend most of my time)
    3. Open Forum Spy in the background so it can start accumulating
    4. Make my way to a select set of forums (about 8 of them), none of which are iRelated
    5. In each forum I go down and look at each unread thread, looking out for interesting threads and for spam and other violations to report. I some times report more posts than I make.
    6. Then I see if anything new came into Forum Spy and address anything of interest.
    7. Then I leave for hours or a day
    I never use the subscriptions piece as it always misses things and has been unreliable every time that I tried to use it so I don't waste any time with it anymore.

15. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My MRoutine is pretty simple. After logging on I take a look at New Posts, glance over it and reply to the interesting looking threads. After a while of doing that, when the interesting threads start to wane, I take a look at individual forums and reply to threads up to a day or two old if no one has replied to them and I know the answer.

I used to use Forum Spy, but I grew increasingly frustrated by it updating and clicking on the wrong thread by accident. Thus I have used New Posts ever since. It gets the job done :)

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

As with quite a few others, I start off with Forum Spy (with a number of forums deselected) and then check in on a couple of choice threads to see if anything's happened there since my last visit.

Generally I'll leave the Forum Spy ticking away in the background as I go off to do other stuff, and check occasionally to see if anything of interest has popped up.

17. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

For what its worth..

I check my subscriptions in User CP, see if there have been any posts on threads I have posted in before. After that I open Forum Spy and open threads that interest me. Every once in a while I check my subscriptions again to see if I missed any and then back on Forum Spy. Rinse. Repeat. You would think it gets boring but it doesn't.

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I load the main forum page and madly refresh it so I get my $25 worth.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

20. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

Front Page then Forum Spy. How do you think most people got here? :)

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Front page, to Usercp, to Forum Spy, to New Posts*

*I go to New Posts when I feel forum spy is falling too far behind, meaning I'm up really late and people aren't posting often enough to keep me occupied.

22. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

10 Browse MR Randomly
    20 Post Dick Joke
    30 Goto 10

23. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

24. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks. If you have to browse the individual sub-fora to even see reports, then that explains, why some reported posts/threads take so long to get looked at.

I thought it would be like a database or even inbox, visible for all mods and admins.
    Like you log in to your mod/admin page and see that there have been xy reported posts/threads and you can read them without clicking on them, except if there is a link involved. Like a mailbox, just different I guess.
    Then when you decide to take care of this report, you click on a button or some other link, that shows to other mods, that this report is currently handled, so the other mods can take care of another report. After you have finished cleaning up, you click another button (or link) and that moves that report to the archive (done list).

[​IMG]

And I agree with GGJstudios about the post count visibility, I also click on most new member's profiles to see, when they registered and how many posts they had. Maybe it could be possible to implement the date of registration and post count in the overlay you can see, when clicking on a user name?

[​IMG]

25. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

While not exact, that's pretty much how it works. It's just another forum on our list. We mark the thread as handled when it's being handled.