Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Good point.

Professional writer: yes, the macbook pro is suitable as long as the keyboard does not heat up and burn the writer's fingers.

:apple: users can always be recognized by their fingers scared from burn marks.
Thats a status symbol!
Try to take fingerprints from us - good luck! :D

It also saves on my heating bill.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Thank you! Finally, someone that chimes in with experience, too.

I've tested tons of macbook pro retinas, and they suffer from the problem you described. The unibody of the laptop is either uncomfortably cold when not in use, or uncomfortably hot when in actual use, like you're doing.

I bet your temps are near 70c when working in photoshop and illustrator. You are very lucky you don't have to do any video editing work, because your temps will sky rocket.

Anyone reading this post should test it. Go download a trial version of After Effects CC. Then, create a new composition and add a complex fractal that generates frames for up to 10 minutes. Now hit render and watch your macbook pro BURN. I will pay anyone here $20 via paypal if you can render a project file I give on a macbook pro while not having your cpu temps go above 90c. You have to take a video of it and include your username while videotaping.

The terms of the contest are:

1) You must completely render the project file I give you in After Effects CC. You're only allowed to load it, add it to the render queue, and hit render
2) You must have temperature guage pro running while recording. I must see your temps in real time. If any one of your temps exceed 90C for more than 30 seconds, you are disqualified. I will be looking at the temperatures of all of your cores, along with the average core temp.
3) Any editing of the recorded video will lead to disqualification
4) If any of your temps reach or exceed 100C, you are disqualified

I am not sure what you are trying to proof.
My rmbp gets very hot and you can boil eggs on my macmini.
I can even use my ipad mini as a pocket heater.
What does that proof exactly?

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Thermal output of a machine is irrelevant to the discussion of whether the MBPr is suitable for "professionals" or not.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Everyone knows pro computers don't follow the laws of thermodynamics :rolleyes:

Stupid apple, why don't you just ignore physics like your customers want:rolleyes:

MacSumo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Thermal output of a machine is irrelevant to the discussion of whether the MBPr is suitable for "professionals" or not.

It is completely relevant because inefficient cooling decreases the life of the machine(investment), decreases performance (due to necessary CPU throttling), and makes the work experience unusable (due to the heat of the keyboard).

----------

It's to prove that it does indeed get hot, and Apple did not design a laptop to last long. It's purposely designed to give issues at a higher probability so expensive repairs or replacements can be had.

Surely, Apple can design better?

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
How would you say?

How would you say it compares to the late 2011 17" MBP maxed out?

Spending more time with the late 2013 retina 15" maxed out I really notice improvements, far surpass the late 2012. Comparing the same photos, the retina display gives a substantially clearer and warmer, more depth and highlights. Mind you I didn't have my matte display 17" at the time to really compare.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
It is completely relevant because inefficient cooling decreases the life of the machine(investment), decreases performance (due to necessary CPU throttling), and makes the work experience unusable (due to the heat of the keyboard).

----------

It's to prove that it does indeed get hot, and Apple did not design a laptop to last long. It's purposely designed to give issues at a higher probability so expensive repairs or replacements can be had.

Surely, Apple can design better?

All machines get hot when they perform intensive computing functions. The SMC is in control of the thermal management within the laptop through the application of various temperature sensors and fail-safe measures designed to shut down the machine should irregularly high temperatures be detected. This includes throttling of CPU/GPU activity.

Claiming that the design of their laptops are purposefully created to increase planned obsolescence and to encourage hardware failure is a big call.

ifaptoomuch

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
Thank you! Finally, someone that chimes in with experience, too.

I've tested tons of macbook pro retinas, and they suffer from the problem you described. The unibody of the laptop is either uncomfortably cold when not in use, or uncomfortably hot when in actual use, like you're doing.

I bet your temps are near 70c when working in photoshop and illustrator. You are very lucky you don't have to do any video editing work, because your temps will sky rocket.

Yeah, I didn't even bother rendering any motion graphics work on AE without using an external display / KB / trackpad. Even sometimes using Time Machine I can feel the top half of the computer get really hot.

This rMBP is the best computer I have ever used but the quick heat is the only major complaint I have. I guess thats the price to pay for thin + light so I'll deal with it. It works flawless if I treat it like a desktop so it works out.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013

----------

These r covered by apple care or insurances.
Ive been using computers for 25 years.
They all get hot, they all get old, they all break.
With apple you pay more for the software and design.
If you want a true pro machine you should get the new mac pro.
The macbook is a portable device and it makes compromisses.

MacSumo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
All machines get hot when they perform intensive computing functions. The SMC is in control of the thermal management within the laptop through the application of various temperature sensors and fail-safe measures designed to shut down the machine should irregularly high temperatures be detected. This includes throttling of CPU/GPU activity.

Claiming that the design of their laptops are purposefully created to increase planned obsolescence and to encourage hardware failure is a big call.

Why is it a big call? Just look at Apple's business model and how they operate. Obviously, they're not going to flat out admit to it.

As far as fail safes, yes, that's true. Yet, why should the laptop be designed to operate AT TJUNCTION when stressed? Why did they design a laptop that stays between 90c-100c when under real work, like rendering a video?

Even at max RPM on the dual fanned 15" retina, temperatures do not drop below 90c when performing CPU intensive tasks. I've tested many, many machines -even machines from friends and acquaintances. The rMBP just isn't designed to cool efficiently. There's data to prove it.

----------

OP, what laptops do you suggest?

Hi ChangshaNotes,

What are the general computing tasks you engage in? I can suggest an ultrabook based on your budget and needs.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
You should probably expand your "research" to other manufacturers when comparing thermal output. I think you will get a bit of a surprise.

MacSumo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
These r covered by apple care or insurances.
Ive been using computers for 25 years.
They all get hot, they all get old, they all break.
With apple you pay more for the software and design.
If you want a true pro machine you should get the new mac pro.
The macbook is a portable device and it makes compromisses.

An analogy would be buying a Ferrari and having it overheat when under stress.

If the majority of Ferrari consumers bought faulty vehicles, but never pushed them beyond 50mph, then they would never notice issues.

But a professional that pushes the vehicle to 200mph+ WILL notice the issues. And the subset of professionals that do TESTS on their machine will notice faults.

I am not saying other laptops are perfect. I am saying, for what you're paying, you're getting less value than expected. That's all. A windows machine wears and breaks, too. But there are plenty of windows machines that are more durable than macs, and more affordable, too, while looking sleek.

----------

You should probably expand your "research" to other manufacturers when comparing thermal output. I think you will get a bit of a surprise.

I have. Apple is one of the worst. The new Sony Vaios are hellish too.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Yeah, I didn't even bother rendering any motion graphics work on AE without using an external display / KB / trackpad. Even sometimes using Time Machine I can feel the top half of the computer get really hot.

This rMBP is the best computer I have ever used but the quick heat is the only major complaint I have. I guess thats the price to pay for thin + light so I'll deal with it. It works flawless if I treat it like a desktop so it works out.

We all know y your mbp gets too hot ... Fap too much :D

MacSumo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
How would you say it compares to the late 2011 17" MBP maxed out?

Spending more time with the late 2013 retina 15" maxed out I really notice improvements, far surpass the late 2012. Comparing the same photos, the retina display gives a substantially clearer and warmer, more depth and highlights. Mind you I didn't have my matte display 17" at the time to really compare.

The 2013 model is many times better than the 2011 model. I don't disagree that Apple isn't pushing out better products. I just think they are slowing down innovating in order to expand profitably, like most other companies. It's just that Apple is far more egregious than others in their practice from a consumer standpoint since the flaws are very obvious (bad display, hot keyboard, bad cooling, trackpad glitches).

Speaking of trackpad issues, the retina resolution is too much for the macbook pro to handle, and there are known stuttering issues while surfing the web. I bet plenty of you have experienced it.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Thank you.

The 2013 model is many times better than the 2011 model. I don't disagree that Apple isn't pushing out better products. I just think they are slowing down innovating in order to expand profitably, like most other companies. It's just that Apple is far more egregious than others in their practice from a consumer standpoint since the flaws are very obvious (bad display, hot keyboard, bad cooling, trackpad glitches).

Speaking of trackpad issues, the retina resolution is too much for the macbook pro to handle, and there are known stuttering issues while surfing the web. I bet plenty of you have experienced it.

Really enjoying these posts and conversations!

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
An analogy would be buying a Ferrari and having it overheat when under stress.

If the majority of Ferrari consumers bought faulty vehicles, but never pushed them beyond 50mph, then they would never notice issues.

But a professional that pushes the vehicle to 200mph+ WILL notice the issues. And the subset of professionals that do TESTS on their machine will notice faults.

I am not saying other laptops are perfect. I am saying, for what you're paying, you're getting less value than expected. That's all. A windows machine wears and breaks, too. But there are plenty of windows machines that are more durable than macs, and more affordable, too, while looking sleek.

----------

I think u should stick with windows then.
I hate windows so much that i used DOS instead untill 2002.
Even win3.11 was lagging like crazy when it first came out.
An that was just pure lag. Not even doing anything with it.

I tried to use Win8 a few months back just for the hell of it.
It broke after 6 bootups... No more safe mode .. Called MS... Clueless indian lady... Advice: Just reinstall windows :eek:
A lot of folks feel that way and some seem to have no problem with windows.
I start to feel sick just thinking about microsoft products.
But maybe you are a windows person.

MacSumo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
I think u should stick with windows then.
I hate windows so much that i used DOS instead untill 2002.
Even win3.11 was lagging like crazy when it first came out.
An that was just pure lag. Not even doing anything with it.

I tried to use Win8 a few months back just for the hell of it.
It broke after 6 bootups... No more safe mode .. Called MS... Clueless indian lady... Advice: Just reinstall windows :eek:
A lot of folks feel that way and some seem to have no problem with windows.
I start to feel sick just thinking about microsoft products.
But maybe you are a windows person.

I prefer certain Linux distros over Mac or Windows, in general. But Mac is more polished than the 2, while Windows has more market share in available professional applications.

Mac can really shine if they fix the issues I've talked about.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I prefer certain Linux distros over Mac or Windows, in general. But Mac is more polished than the 2, while Windows has more market share in available professional applications.

Mac can really shine if they fix the issues I've talked about.

I tried ubuntu and another linux distribution.
Didnt like it at all.
Way too complicated imo.
I am not a computer scientist. I just want things to work.

MacSumo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
I tried ubuntu and another linux distribution.
Didnt like it at all.
Way too complicated imo.
I am not a computer scientist. I just want things to work.

Then Mac is just for you! :D As you can tell, my standards are more technical, and I will nit pick the specs of the macbook pro.

Rian Gray

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
NJ, United States
I write for living, so I suppose I am being part of using Mac "Professionally" group. In short, I chose Mac because I don't have to argue with my editor why my computer died again. I had been using typewriter (yes, IBM typewriter if any of you recall one of those beauties) till 2010, and then I moved on MBP 17 inch, hoping it could give me some room for reliable computers to kick in. Compared to PCs that I desperately tried to work on, it fairly worked fine, except for few issues: height, keys, heats, and noises. Actually, add weight to the list as well.

As a writer, I still prefer to work on papers. I print a lot, no thanks to eco-friendly office or what nots. I mean, obviously I can't have multiple screens hanging over the wall like Batman did in Dark Knight. One of the reasons why I ended up choosing 17inch laptop was that it might give me more space to have more pages showing up on the screen. Well no, it didn't work. I mean, it worked, compared to small tablets my co-workers were carrying around, —we all agreed iPads and other tablets are never to be used in editing but only in writing drafts without proof-reading— but it wasn't working as I expected. For few years I hooked up several external monitors to it, (and thank goodness, although I'm not a photographer I knew for sure photos looked horribly on MB) till I realized I could just have one giant computer with one giant screen on my desk with heck of a printer, nothing more, nothing else. Yes, I ended up buying iMac 27inch and a laser printer.

The reason why I'm giving you all this long story is because, in my belief, when it comes to the professionalism of work, it should be the question of reliability of tools. If my typewriter hadn't been broken from my long vacation to CA, I would've never considered buying a computer to begin with. I work on typewriter, and it worked just fine so far. It was far from portable, and I couldn't watch youtube or listen to musics, but it worked "professionally." What about computers? I need to keep things updated, I need to find right softwares to work on, I need to keep it maintained, I need to keep it connected, I need to have anti-virus running (PC), I need to keep softwares matched to my co-workers, list goes on forever. Seriously, only reasonable excuse I have ever had why I need to work on a computer instead of an archaic typewriter was that it takes lesser time then scanning typed papers and emailing them to editors. Yeah, obviously sending a digital document file directly to the editor will save some time, except I would end up losing more to maintain a machine.

Every time I hear this idea of "professionalism," especially when it comes to engineering or IT related topics, it bothers me that there are people looking for an ultimate answer that will work for everyone, 100%, unchanging. No, there is no ultimate answer. Oh wait, there is an ultimate answer to everything: 42. But do you understand what the question is? I doubt that. At least I have my own set of questions to ask for when it comes to "professional" machines.

MacSumo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
I write for living, so I suppose I am being part of using Mac "Professionally" group. In short, I chose Mac because I don't have to argue with my editor why my computer died again. I had been using typewriter (yes, IBM typewriter if any of you recall one of those beauties) till 2010, and then I moved on MBP 17 inch, hoping it could give me some room for reliable computers to kick in. Compared to PCs that I desperately tried to work on, it fairly worked fine, except for few issues: height, keys, heats, and noises. Actually, add weight to the list as well.

As a writer, I still prefer to work on papers. I print a lot, no thanks to eco-friendly office or what nots. I mean, obviously I can't have multiple screens hanging over the wall like Batman did in Dark Knight. One of the reasons why I ended up choosing 17inch laptop was that it might give me more space to have more pages showing up on the screen. Well no, it didn't work. I mean, it worked, compared to small tablets my co-workers were carrying around, —we all agreed iPads and other tablets are never to be used in editing but only in writing drafts without proof-reading— but it wasn't working as I expected. For few years I hooked up several external monitors to it, (and thank goodness, although I'm not a photographer I knew for sure photos looked horribly on MB) till I realized I could just have one giant computer with one giant screen on my desk with heck of a printer, nothing more, nothing else. Yes, I ended up buying iMac 27inch and a laser printer.

The reason why I'm giving you all this long story is because, in my belief, when it comes to the professionalism of work, it should be the question of reliability of tools. If my typewriter hadn't been broken from my long vacation to CA, I would've never considered buying a computer to begin with. I work on typewriter, and it worked just fine so far. It was far from portable, and I couldn't watch youtube or listen to musics, but it worked "professionally." What about computers? I need to keep things updated, I need to find right softwares to work on, I need to keep it maintained, I need to keep it connected, I need to have anti-virus running (PC), I need to keep softwares matched to my co-workers, list goes on forever. Seriously, only reasonable excuse I have ever had why I need to work on a computer instead of an archaic typewriter was that it takes lesser time then scanning typed papers and emailing them to editors. Yeah, obviously sending a digital document file directly to the editor will save some time, except I would end up losing more to maintain a machine.

Every time I hear this idea of "professionalism," especially when it comes to engineering or IT related topics, it bothers me that there are people looking for an ultimate answer that will work for everyone, 100%, unchanging. No, there is no ultimate answer. Oh wait, there is an ultimate answer to everything: 42. But do you understand what the question is? I doubt that. At least I have my own set of questions to ask for when it comes to "professional" machines.

From what I understood, and it is a very reasonable to claim so, is that your 2 most value factors are reliability and usability. While Mac operates well for someone whose needs are general (e.g., just wanting to type something and share with colleagues without having technical experience), then Mac should be fine. Though keep in mind that the standard productivity suite for Mac has problems, http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/11/review-the-productivity-suite-formerly-known-as-iwork/, and Office 2011 for mac is lacking relative to Office 365 on Windows.

I should have been more clear on the type of professionals that would be affected by the issues I mentioned. The type of people that would be affected are those that need to utilize the system's resources (mainly CPU) to its full potential. Because of heat issues, this cannot be done, reasonably.

Another factor is the display, which many artists/designers will have issues with. After all, what professional artist can accept sub-par display quality?

These are not issues for you, and that's understandable. You found the Mac ecosystem easier than Windows, and that's fine. (Though, keep in mind that getting infected on Mac isn't difficult if you run foreign files, or are subject to a software exploit inherent in an unpatched application which can be typical for Java, Arobat Reader, and Flash Player)

However, you may still fair well on a Windows machine, given your requirements are general, and not specific. Windows is practically usable, too, and it has more support in terms of software availability.

If you find software such as iWork pages to be good enough, then Windows' Office 365 Word is good, too, if not better. I'm just pointing out the markets that exist, and how your values determine your purchase decisions.

At least you can say that you've made an informed decision after reading this topic.

----------

I agree with everything except you wanting to drop Samsung and only because I don't know of other quality component makers.

I mentioned Samsung because their displays have been known to have yellow tinting, but this might be less prevalent in their refresh, along with LG's SJE2 refresh.

I am still cautious as to how well the IGZO display could perform. Apple needs to invest in better quality while maintaining a competitive price point.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Professional writer: yes, the macbook pro is suitable as long as the keyboard does not heat up and burn the writer's fingers.

This is the most ridiculous thing I think I've ever read on this site. Where exactly did you pluck this notion from?

Personally, I think it's a troll statement, but in case you are being serious:
I promise you that it will never happen unless you have a faulty machine. How do I know? I write... a lot. On a MacBook Pro.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I have done the following with my MBPs:

- Lightroom photo management and batch edit of 5000 shots (per assignment)
- Photoshop editing of 500-2000MB files (involving anywhere from 10-50 layers)
- Labview Simulations
- Matlab 3D modelling and simulations
- Hardware programming
- Web development
- iOS development
- Office work
- Running a XAMP/MAMP stack

Which parts are acceptable uses of the word professional?

I've had my old MBP reach temps as high as 95C. And it kept working. We're talking about painful to the touch, and not somewhere you want to keep your hands on. I got it in 2007, it hasn't stopped working yet.

The new retina, I've only seen reach 86C. If anything, the fact that we feel and notice the heat is a good thing. That means the heat is where it's supposed to be, outside. I have been in situations where the CPU is maxed out, and it's probably at its max thermal spec, but it never crashed the way I've seen some PCs crash.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.