What's Your Social Network of Choice?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Nov 10, 2013.

?

Your Go to Social Network of Choice?

1. Twitter

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. FaceBook

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Instagram

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Google+

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. MacRumors

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. NONE, I just browse the web and use email.

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Simple poll; wondering which social network would be the one you use mainly and feel you'll continue to do so within the coming 12 months. I know FaceBook is the major player around my social circles, while I know of only a handful of people with Twitter, while Google+ seems to be the least used of them all but the one where I have a good amount of friends added yet I never use Google+ though all other Google services.

2. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Facebook, Twitter and instagram are equally popular in my country. I have accounts for all 3 social networks as well, and that goes the same for many people here. :)

Forget Google+, that's virtually non-existent here.

3. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I use Facebook, albeit rarely. Stopped using Instagram. Never really got the point of Twitter. Will NEVER use Google+.

4. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I haven't been on Facebook for 9 months.
    Google+ never

I see no reason why I should give marketing and advertising companies my personal info? They change their rules every time they think of a new way to make money.

I'd rather have an overbearing government (NSA) have my info than an advertising company ( ie Google and Yahoo ) making profits from my data.

If you belong to a social network, you give up all rights to your privacy, and you can't complain about the NSA unless you are an idiot.

5. Oliveg macrumors newbie

Sometime, I use facebook, nearly once a week. And I never use Google+.
    Comparatively, I use macrumors more recently. :D

6. kolax macrumors G3

I just use Facebook as a messaging platform and to share photo albums.

Works really well for that. I prefer using it to WhatsApp or SMS because I can keep chatting in the same conversations on my computer and on the go with my phone.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Oddly enough, it seems to be MR, which is interesting.

I use LinkedIn mainly for professional matters and for keeping in touch with former (and sometimes, connecting with current) colleagues. Likewise, I have used LinkedIn for re-connecting with people I knew as an undergrad.

I have never used FB, and have no interest in it; Twitter, I can see a use for, but not as my life is at present.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I prefer MacRumors because it has a large group of participants and has some rules. While Facebook dwarfs MRs in size, I use it primarily to stay in touch with a small number of relatives and based on my wife's experience, there seems to be no rules at all and s*** storms seem to happen quite often with virtually no moderation. Go visit a political page on Facebook and look out, be prepared to be called all sorts of creative names.

The other thing I've emphasized with my spouse is that in a forum like MacRumors, you are out there with an alias. On Facebook, unless you've created a false personality profile, you are out there as you. I view this as more dangerous.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Easily, MacRumors is my 'social media' of choice. I use Twitter a little bit, despise Facebook and use Google Plus a little bit. LinkedIn is where I keep my professional contacts and that is it.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

MacRumors...that's it!

And at times, that's way MORE than enough!;)

11. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I'm a bit put off by social networking. People are sharing way too much information about themselves...

I do have a facebook account which I do update once every month or 2, but the information I post there is mindless blather.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't have a facebook, instagram, or google+ account. I do have a twitter account to follow sports news. I have no followers.

I post here on MR a great deal.

14. CrickettGrrrl, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Due to the withdrawal symptoms I felt while the MR servers were down, I must vote MacRumors......fortunately not as insipid as FB.

I have FB, but it's not as good as it used to be. I feel like I'm playing whack-a-mole with interests lists and other settings just so I can see all the posts from friends and family instead of the "convenient" way FB's algorithms don't show me the posts I want to see.

I've got Twitter for updates about interests & haven't got family or friends set up on that. Pinterest is a pain because it's connected to FB and so it's not quite so focused on interests instead of family's cheese recipe pins.

Flickr's not on this list but I actually like it more than Facebook these days.

---And Dog parks!

15. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Only on MR. Its been tough this last day. I even had to talk to the wife! Dam those hackers! She knows nothing about Mac's, Digital photography or F1. I already know her last purchase (because we have a joint account!). Its been a tough time!:)

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Hm. Yes. Perhaps. With a blazing log fire, cosy snugs, artisan beer, and good company....

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

My first choice is Twitter, it's both fast and fun, and easy to use.:cool:

I have a Facebook account only because my granddaughters.:eek:

19. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Facebook, several times a day, every single day.

Twitter once or twice a week to just check out celebrity/athlete/musician tweets and things of that nature. I never personally tweet, and frankly I still don't understand the point of using Twitter over FB.

Instagram, never.

Google+, never.

I understand that there is a certain "hip" factor in saying that you don't use any type of social network, but I don't give two ****** about trying to look hip. I use FB every day to keep in touch with friends and family, stay up to date on news and sports, things like that.

20. yanki01 macrumors 68030

yanki01

facebook, instagram & twitter. don't post much on either and almost never on twitter. I only have it to keep up with the news and sports athletes/musicians/famous people.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Missing Option: Face to Face.

Social Network sites are really taking the 'social' out of things. When you look at it, how many times do you see a bunch of people together, all in their own world looking at Facebook, etc. etc., on their phones? Or worse, they are sitting next to eachother, and texting eachother?

In today's world of social networks, people have really forgotten how to actually open their mouths and actually talk to eachother.

I'm guilty of it too, especially back when the .com age was just getting started, and was talking to lots of people on text-based talkers, but at some point, it gets tiresome to sit down either with your phone or at your desk or laptop and hammer out what you want to say to others, because you miss that personal interaction.

Sometimes you don't have a choice, because the people you want to talk to are across the country or the other side of the world, and that's understandable. I have friends overseas too. but for those that live 3 blocks away that you have a good chance to see at least once a week?

Social networks are great, but they do take a lot out of human interaction.

BL.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The idea of a corner pub sounds more attractive than U.S. style sports bars.

23. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

BBM

I also sort of use Facebook and Twitter in a casual and non-committal way.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Facebook for the family and close friends.
    Twitter for public facing stuff, acquaintances, new info, talk to fans.

----------

Opposite for me. It's (mostly Twitter) created a hub where people in my creative field can get together and ask questions, which created monthly networking events. At GamesCom I tweeted a shout out asking if anyone wanted to meet up, and we did, and got very drunk.