What's Your "Spaces" Shortcut?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Sep 29, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Since getting the new MBP I hate using Expose to activate Spaces. I currently have it set to open up when I take the mouse to the upper right hand corner.

Beofre I got the new MBP on my Whitebook I had F12+Apple Command to activate my list of 6 Spaces....but seems I can't on this new Macbook.

Suggestions? Or alternatives? What are you using?

2. Marcus263 macrumors regular

Upper-Left corner. Why do you need an alternative method when the first method works well?

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

UL for Spaces
    UR for Expose (all windows)
    LL for Expose (application windows)
    LR for Expose (show Desktop)

You know you can activate Expose from within Spaces, too (kinda sounded like the reverse of what you were doing).

Using the dedicated "F4" or the middle button (scroll ball) on the MM, for Dashboard.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I love that F4 button for Dashboard. For a week or so I had the Upper Right Corner set to open up Dashboard but hated it. The truth is once or twice a day i'll accendentally go to a corner without meaning to and something would open up, kinda annoying.

But as for the F3 button, I love it...I just wish I could set the F3 button to activate Spaces rather, though haven't a clue how...I tried adjusting some keyboard shortcuts but either it's not allow or i'm just not doing it right.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

My UL used to be Dashboard - until Leopard's Spaces came along. It will never move from UL :) I use Spaces more than Expose and would be VERY lost without it. It's always a mix, though, depending on where I am and how many apps/windows are open. It's interesting to see the different setups.

6. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

F8 I think + Bottom Right hot corner.

Kind Regards

7. Betelgeuse macrumors member

I really like using the fourth button on my external mouse to access Spaces. Of course, SL has a bug in it that breaks this functionality, so I'm highly irritated at this point. I never was a fan of "hot corners" or whatever they're being called now, so I've always just used a mouse or keyboard shortcut.

8. mac2x macrumors 65816

I set up F5 to activate Spaces on the Apple USB keyboard I use on my desk. It's not as convenient on notebooks with backlit keyboards since F5 and F6 control the backlight. I also use the lower left hotcorner.

Here's how I do it:

MM: Set up for normal 3-button operation. with the side buttons for Exposé, or alternately Spaces if I'm doing a lot of switching.

USB Keyboard: F5 activates Spaces.

Hot Screen Corners:

Screensaver | Screensaver
    Spaces | Exposé — Desktop

Alternately, I often use CMD — tab to switch open apps. You are automatically sent to the right space for each one.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

F8 was the default when I got this Mac. I use that rather than Expose.

10. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Dashboard - UL
    Spaces - UR
    Expose- BL
    Expose- BR

:apple: