Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your iPad typical usage?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
For me the appeal of kindle is portability, convenience & the superior e ink technology for prolonged reading. A LCD display can never match that. My eyes don't feel tired even after being on the kindle for hours. In fact on my last trip to Australia I literally finished 2 novels back to back.

As they say YMMV, I read law school text books (usual 400-600 pages) and law books (6000+ pages) on my iPads for hours on end.
What annoyed me about e-ink was turning pages, and the ones I tried a few years back where a bit low in resolution, but that might be a lot better these days. Ereaders are unbeaten kings of power-consumption. Or lack there of
When you get older, your eyes need more light, an kindle doesn't light up, so an iPad has advantages.
But my mother in law loves her ereader a lot as well.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
As they say YMMV, I read law school text books (usual 400-600 pages) and law books (6000+ pages) on my iPads for hours on end.
What annoyed me about e-ink was turning pages, and the ones I tried a few years back where a bit low in resolution, but that might be a lot better these days. Ereaders are unbeaten kings of power-consumption. Or lack there of
When you get older, your eyes need more light, an kindle doesn't light up, so an iPad has advantages.

The Kindle PaperWhite has good resolution and does have backlighting but I prefer my Air 2 over it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The Kindle PaperWhite has good resolution and does have backlighting but I prefer my Air 2 over it.
Depends on what I'm reading. I prefer the Kindle Paperwhite for prose/fiction (got the Kindle Oasis on my wishlist).

Textbooks and technical PDFs has to be iPad. Comics, too. ;)

That said, I often just use the iPad for all my reading due to convenience (it's already on-hand). Alas, when a migraine hits, I can still read on paper or the Paperwhite but any LCD screen makes the pain much, much, much worse.

Reactions: alecgold

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

You really should try the Kindle Paperwhite. All of your complains will turn into praises.

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
I bought my iPad primary for taking notes at school and entertaining myself while traveling. Works great :)

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Depends on what I'm reading. I prefer the Kindle Paperwhite for prose/fiction (got the Kindle Oasis on my wishlist).

Textbooks and technical PDFs has to be iPad. Comics, too. ;)

That said, I often just use the iPad for all my reading due to convenience (it's already on-hand). Alas, when a migraine hits, I can still read on paper or the Paperwhite but any LCD screen makes the pain much, much, much worse.

You really should try the Kindle Paperwhite. All of your complains will turn into praises.

Thank you both.
It does make sense indeed. I read a lot of old-badly-scanned-documents, say 1900-1920 stuff, but also many multi column magazine stuff and I can hold my iPP12 for a long time in one hand. Resting between thumb and index finger.
Comics are great indeed, I couldn't resist loading a few on them.
And I'm never reading prose/fiction since I started studying again, so I guess the white paper isn't perhaps my thing.
But I'm going to try it IRL, as I now know a really good present for my mother in law!!

Edit: 212ppi, build in light, light weight at 206 gr, its just 16 grey shades and 8 weeks of half an hour daily reading. That is 28 hours depending on settings. And it's MSRP is around 200 bucks. Not bad.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Thank you both.
It does make sense indeed. I read a lot of old-badly-scanned-documents, say 1900-1920 stuff, but also many multi column magazine stuff and I can hold my iPP12 for a long time in one hand. Resting between thumb and index finger.
Comics are great indeed, I couldn't resist loading a few on them.
And I'm never reading prose/fiction since I started studying again, so I guess the white paper isn't perhaps my thing.
But I'm going to try it IRL, as I now know a really good present for my mother in law!!

Edit: 212ppi, build in light, light weight at 206 gr, its just 16 grey shades and 8 weeks of half an hour daily reading. That is 28 hours depending on settings. And it's MSRP is around 200 bucks. Not bad.

The iPad is a very capable reader of course, I love reading certain formats / documents on my 12.9" iPad.
I also have a Kindle Voyage, and love that thing too. But I use it mostly for novels and the like. It's a one-purpose device that only wants to get one thing right and that's reading (kind of regular) books. I also appreciate that as a device - it pretty much totally gets out of my way, no notifications or anything to disturb me, for days. A good cover often adds some practicality to those ereaders. Mine has a origami style cover that acts as a little stand too.

I enjoy having both devices, both do certain things great.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Email, Social media, studying, note taking with Evernote. But my iPad Pro has been gone for a month for repairs and I'm getting frustrated with the wait.

That sounds awful and not like the apple I know, where repairs where quick, fast and usually a swap for a factory new device.

Mack812

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2013
Honolulu, HI
I use my iPad Pro for:

• Surfing the Web
  • YouTube (screw cable)
  • Netflix
  • Hulu
  • Reading books (via Kindle app)
  • Keeping track of my bank account (Numbers app)
  • Taking notes
  • Storing and view photos (via FileExplorer app)

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I use it for consumption and for light spreadsheets and productivity using Apple's iWork suite.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
No order, just stream of consciousness:
  1. FTL - addicted
  2. My daily job thing, try to break them software wise for research purposes
  3. Secondary Screen while developing software, browser-sync keeps it up to date as I save changes
  4. Netflix - Neil deGrasse Tyson during lunch
  5. iMovies - rarely
  6. iBooks - lots of books
  7. Note taking during the very rare meeting
  8. Classroom app to manage sets of iPads during technology training
  9. All in one asset management tool: camera scans barcodes and updates inventories, no need to carry around an IR hand scanner

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Email, Social media, studying, note taking with Evernote. But my iPad Pro has been gone for a month for repairs and I'm getting frustrated with the wait.

You mentioned the word repair(s) in your post regarding your iPad. I'm curious to know what repairs is your iPad in need of that would take a month?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I use it mainly for video consumption and web browsing. I find the onscreen keyboard very hard for any extended typing. The most I can manage to type are short forum posts like this.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I use it mainly for video consumption and web browsing. I find the onscreen keyboard very hard for any extended typing. The most I can manage to type are short forum posts like this.

Really?! I can just type on it like normal keyboard.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
No order, just stream of consciousness:
  1. FTL - addicted
  2. My daily job thing, try to break them software wise for research purposes
  3. Secondary Screen while developing software, browser-sync keeps it up to date as I save changes
  4. Netflix - Neil deGrasse Tyson during lunch
  5. iMovies - rarely
  6. iBooks - lots of books
  7. Note taking during the very rare meeting
  8. Classroom app to manage sets of iPads during technology training
  9. All in one asset management tool: camera scans barcodes and updates inventories, no need to carry around an IR hand scanner

Is that asset management software proprietary? If not, could you please share?

gollum

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
NKY
iPad 2017- Light use of mail, web, iWork.
iPad Air2- Company provided Electronic Flight Bag (EFB)- replaces 10 pounds and the bulk of hard copy navigation charts and company manuals.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Is that asset management software proprietary? If not, could you please share?
Not proprietary and indeed: Tiger Asset Management
https://www.myassettag.com/assettiger/

We are currently building a proprietary one that is more streamlined for our needs. The Tiger Asset stuff is pretty impressive, especially for the price of free. Be sure to buy your labels from them to keep them in business for everyone.
[doublepost=1496616548][/doublepost]
Interesting, how/what do you do that?
Kinda like this:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Not proprietary and indeed: Tiger Asset Management
https://www.myassettag.com/assettiger/

We are currently building a proprietary one that is more streamlined for our needs. The Tiger Asset stuff is pretty impressive, especially for the price of free. Be sure to buy your labels from them to keep them in business for everyone.
[doublepost=1496616548][/doublepost]
Kinda like this:

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
You mentioned the word repair(s) in your post regarding your iPad. I'm curious to know what repairs is your iPad in need of that would take a month?
I had to go through a reseller due to lack of Apple Store. It's been taking forever to get it back. I had a dead pixel group then got it back with a replaced screen that had a line down the middle. Now I'm waiting to see if they fix it the second time.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I had to go through a reseller due to lack of Apple Store. It's been taking forever to get it back. I had a dead pixel group then got it back with a replaced screen that had a line down the middle. Now I'm waiting to see if they fix it the second time.

That is bad luck. Fortunately you're covered with the warranty. Hopefully the third iPad works out for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.