WhatsApp Messenger Now Officially Supports Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 29, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The latest update to WhatsApp Messenger has added support for Apple's CarPlay in-vehicle connectivity system, according to Dutch tech blog iCulture. Previously in-car WhatsApp access was only possible using the app's Siri integration, but the advantage of the new official CarPlay support is that users can also receive WhatsApp push messages while driving.

With version 2.18.2 of the app installed on an iPhone connected to CarPlay, WhatsApp automatically appears as one of the icons on the CarPlay dash interface.

[​IMG]
    Image via iCulture

The new CarPlay integration means that Siri will notify in-vehicle users when they have received new WhatsApp messages and offer to read them out loud one by one. Users can also send WhatsApp messages by specifying to Siri who it is they wish to contact, then dictating the message. Siri will recount the dictated message to confirm, after which the user has the option to edit the message or send it on its way.

Apple's own Messages app has been a feature of CarPlay since the vehicle dash system was launched. CarPlay users are able to play back audio-based iMessages, have text messages spoken out loud to them, and also compose them using Siri. The difference with WhatsApp in CarPlay, according to iCulture, is that it doesn't enable the user to browse through a list of chat conversations.

WhatsApp is a free download for iPhone from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: WhatsApp Messenger Now Officially Supports Apple CarPlay

2. Wildkraut, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018

Wildkraut macrumors 6502a

Wildkraut

I see more car crashes coming.
    Happy texting during driving.
    And NO Siri does not make things better.

Anyway, texting(with or without Siri & Co.) during driving should lead to a permanent driving license suspension.

3. wilhelmer macrumors member

It's version 2.18.20, not 2.18.2. Having said that: Yay, finally!!

4. 3pp macrumors member

Changelog shows ‘Big fixes.’
    Is there a reason why all the major app developers seem to be intent on not announcing new features and instead must write ‘bug fixes’ for every release?

This should be banned by Apple as it is misleading to the user.

5. hsoj1006 macrumors member

You must be fun at parties

6. Nozuka macrumors 68020

you should also not be able to do handsfree phone calls then. or talk to anyone sitting next to you in the car.

7. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

People love to blame technology for bad driving. It’s an easy out.

But the fact is that everyday I see people tailgating, not using turn signals, speeding well beyond the limits, cutting people off, blaring horns, tons of aggressive driving…

All of these things were being done before we had distractions. And they are all still being done now. How about we take more responsibility for our actions on the road rather than blaming technology?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2018 ---

You DO realize that’s the same number, right? :rolleyes:

8. wilhelmer macrumors member

No, it's not. It's the 20th subminor version of 2.18, not the 2nd subminor version.

9. hsoj1006 macrumors member

Oh boy. Fun with numbers! Here we go.

Version 2 would be 2.18.02

Version 20 is 2.18.20 (or 2.18.2 since you drop the zero at the end of a decimal)

10. wilhelmer macrumors member

The WhatsApp developers don't use leading zeros. Look at the changelog in the App Store. There was version 2.17.7 and after that version 2.17.10, 2.17.11 etc. So Version 2 of 2.18 would be 2.18.2.

11. BohemianDances macrumors newbie

BohemianDances

But still no way to see your messages or send them from the Apple Watch?

12. Wildkraut macrumors 6502a

Wildkraut

Well talking to someone is completely different.
    I think everybody here agrees that typing text manually while driving just sucks.

Anyway, regarding Siri, she needs too much attention and hardly understands what people are saying.
    People start yelling multiple times the same at Siri, trying to make her understand what they are saying, even by leaning towards the middle console. etc. The distraction she causes is too high.

13. beanbaguk macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

I completely agree NOBODY should ever touch a mobile phone while driving, but as somebody who has driven a HUGE amount in Germany, I can say you have far worse problems on your roads. There are serious issues with tailgaters (highly dangerous), and drivers not paying any attention and flouting the open speed limit laws dangerously.

In one example, I've had cars creep right up to my back bumper, (so much so they were sensed on my rear PDC sensors when I turned them on), at over 180km/h. They creep right up, flashing lights and indicating (which is illegal fyi - even in Germany), knowing full well at the point when they approach me there is nowhere for me to safely go. It's not uncommon and happened more times than I could count.

So CarPlay is the least of my concerns and if people DO need to be connected, voice control is the way to go.

14. Wildkraut macrumors 6502a

Wildkraut

Well Siri sucks, but I didn’t blame the tech, i blamed the laws thats allows it to be used while driving.
    When people drive, they should only drive, not smoke, not eat, not drink, nor unnecessarily with gadgets, etc.

15. 2268473 Suspended

16. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Fun with numbers, lets keep going. That is not, never has been, nor will it ever be a decimal. It is a point. Maybe even a dot in certain odd circles. But definitely not a decimal.

17. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

18. podycust macrumors newbie

podycust

19. larcho macrumors newbie

Yes, where's the Apple Watch love?

20. gwhizkids macrumors 601

gwhizkids

I get notifications of WhatsApp messages on my Watch and can respond, much in the same way as I can to a regular iMessage (voice, Scribble, canned messages).

21. DaveOP macrumors 65816

Have you actually used Carplay to text? She works extremely well in my Subaru, and keeps my eyes on the road. I don't care about Whatsapp at all, but Siri has kept me from even considering looking at my texts ever since I got it.

22. thebluepotato macrumors member

Well since the messages are on the iPhone (not on a server) and linked to the phone number, it would in any case be a separate WhatsApp "reader" app. And I'm guessing that can more or less already be done using WhatsApp Web on the iPad directly (even though not ideal).
    I know hardly anyone in the US uses WhatsApp but how do you text? Per SMS? Per Facebook Messenger? In my country at least both options are not ideal since many carrier plans don't include free texts and most people aged 40 to 50+ don't have Facebook.

23. beanbaguk macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

You'll enjoy this crowd: http://www.brake.org.uk/campaigns/other-campaigns/be-phone-smart

;)

24. urtules macrumors regular

urtules

I am from UK and only use iMessage.
    Watch some Instagram channels where people not only text but film yourself while driving, talking and watching into camera. I always leave a comment they should not do it. I believe most people don't use their phone while driving and if someone does we should educate them.
    I think Siri does make it better because it allows texting without looking on the iPhone screen which is undoubtly safer. I use "tell my wife ..." all the time and it always works.

25. NekoFever macrumors member

Software version numbers aren't decimals.

2.18.2 is the second revision of 2.18; 2.18.20 is the 20th revision.

Or are OS X Puma and Yosemite the same thing since 10.1 and 10.10 are the same?