Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

whatsappiconcleaned-200x200.png
WhatsApp has announced it is rolling out a number of new features across its app, web, and desktop variants, including a QR code scanning option for contacts and a new Dark mode theme that extends to computers.

WhatsApp has been extensively testing the use of QR codes on mobile to let users add contacts to the messaging app instead of typing in digits one by one, and it sounds like it's almost ready to go live.

Currently WhatsApp users must first add a contact via the Contacts tab in Apple's Phone app. Only after that can they open WhatsApp and send them a message. Using a QR code instead would skip this step and make the process a lot more convenient.

Meanwhile, following the recent added ability to video chat with up to eight people, WhatsApp is bringing new improvements to group video calls. It's now easier to focus on someone in a call by pressing and holding to maximize their video to full screen. There's also a new video icon for group chats of 8 or less, making it easier to start a group video call with a single tap.

WhatsApp says animated stickers are one of the fastest growing ways people communicate on the platform, so it's also rolling out "more fun and expressive" animated sticker packs. In addition, KaiOS users can now enjoy the popular feature that lets them share updates that disappear after 24 hours.

Finally, while Dark Mode on WhatsApp for iPhone arrived earlier this year, the same feature is now coming to the web version of the chat platform as well as WhatsApp for Mac.

WhatsApp says these features are rolling out to users over the next few weeks. WhatsApp is a free download for ‌iPhone‌ and Mac available on the iOS ‌App Store [Direct Link] and Mac App Store [Direct Link], respectively‌.

Article Link: WhatsApp Rolling Out QR Codes for Contacts, Dark Mode for Mac App, and More

Last edited:

ksec

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2015
Didn't WhatsApp tested iPad apps last year?

I was hoping with iPad Apps, WhatsApp could get rid of electrons and become and Native App on all Apple Platforms.

WhatsApp on Mac is easily 1.5 / 2GB of Memory.

Comment

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
When WhatsApp get the ability to truly use on multiple devices tell me.
[automerge]1593687835[/automerge]
This is just going to be a thread full of "And still no iPad App".

But yes, still no iPad app. (And that's the reason I stopped using WhatsApp)

Same here. I have multiple devices and WhatsApp web doesn’t count because that requires your phone.

Comment

iZac

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
I - like everyone else - am just waiting for the iPad app.

but I‘m begging to think it’ll never happen. In your privacy settings try denying What’s App access to your phone contacts and see how it intentionally gimps the program - they only show phone numbers. When you interrogate that contact they all have nicknames / usernames but the App intentionally obscures them, to give you a poor user experience. If it can’t syphon off your Phones contact list, you basically can’t use it.

So to get the iPad version, Facebook have to either program in proper message synchronisation that doesn't rely on the master device (requires effort) or let users sign up without phone numbers (requires losing personal data)

Neither option seems appealing to the devs.

Last edited:
Comment

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
What a great idea. Both iOS and Android should have this QR code feature. The number of times I've stood next to someone to type in their email/phone, then send a "test text" to verify.... This would be a lot easier, mostly b/c it would be cross platform as well. Even AirDrop doesn't work b/c if you're not already IN my contacts I have to do extra steps to allow unknown contacts to send/receive things.

Reactions: MyopicPaideia
Comment

RumorConsumer

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2016

whatsappiconcleaned-200x200.png
WhatsApp has announced it is rolling out a number of new features across its app, web, and desktop variants, including a QR code scanning option for contacts and a new Dark mode theme that extends to computers.

WhatsApp has been extensively testing the use of QR codes on mobile to let users add contacts to the messaging app instead of typing in digits one by one, and it sounds like it's almost ready to go live.

Currently WhatsApp users must first add a contact via the Contacts tab in Apple's Phone app. Only after that can they open WhatsApp and send them a message. Using a QR code instead would skip this step and make the process a lot more convenient.

Meanwhile, following the recent added ability to video chat with up to eight people, WhatsApp is bringing new improvements to group video calls. It's now easier to focus on someone in a call by pressing and holding to maximize their video to full screen. There's also a new video icon for group chats of 8 or less, making it easier to start a group video call with a single tap.

WhatsApp says animated stickers are one of the fastest growing ways people communicate on the platform, so it's also rolling out "more fun and expressive" animated sticker packs. In addition, KaiOS users can now enjoy the popular feature that lets them share updates that disappear after 24 hours.

Finally, while Dark Mode on WhatsApp for iPhone arrived earlier this year, the same feature is now coming to the web version of the chat platform as well as WhatsApp for Mac.

WhatsApp says these features are rolling out to users over the next few weeks. WhatsApp is a free download for ‌iPhone‌ and Mac available on the iOS ‌App Store [Direct Link] and Mac App Store [Direct Link], respectively‌.

Article Link: WhatsApp Rolling Out QR Codes for Contacts, Dark Mode for Mac App, and More

This is just a shot in the dark but does anybody know why WhatsApp makes it so difficult to send a message to a contact that is not in your contacts app? Like if I just have a phone number on a business card the amount of rigmarole I have to go through to simply send this person a message is incredible

Reactions: alexandr
Comment

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
This is just going to be a thread full of "And still no iPad App".

But yes, still no iPad app. (And that's the reason I stopped using WhatsApp)

i am trying to force everyone I know with an iPhone to use iMessage but they still always reply me on WhatsApp because according to them „sending pictures takes forever on iMessage and it is missing XY“.

i gave in and downloaded some 3rd party WhatsApp client that basically just uses the Webapp as an Ui and so far so good. Only push notifications do not work but I get those on my watch anyway so now I can at least reply from the iPad without needing my iPhone

Comment

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
This is why the USPS is failing. Kids have switched from physical stamps to the "more fun and expressive" animated stickers.

Comment

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
WhatsApp is such a great example of network effects. A technically poor app that is only used widely becuase it’s used widely.
While partially true, it's not technically poor. It might not have all the features of slack/discord, but it's much lighter. GroupMe is more along the lines of what you're saying.

Comment

fbr$

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2020
Is it safe to use Whatsapp For Mac? Or is Zuckerberg scanning every file on my iMac after i've installed it?
On System Preferences ---> Security & Privacy ---> Privacy you can check/uncheck which apps have access to all your files on "Full Disk Access" and access to just specific folders on "Files and Folders".

Turn off Whatsapp on "Full Disk Access".

Comment

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I’m one of those poor suckers stuck with everyone around them using WhatsApp. I also have Signal that I use with a few more privacy-minded friends, but the number of features lacking on Signal that WhatsApp has makes it a tough sell.

Also, yeah no iPad app

Reactions: TimSHB
Comment

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
i am trying to force everyone I know with an iPhone to use iMessage but they still always reply me on WhatsApp because according to them „sending pictures takes forever on iMessage and it is missing XY“.

i gave in and downloaded some 3rd party WhatsApp client that basically just uses the Webapp as an Ui and so far so good. Only push notifications do not work but I get those on my watch anyway so now I can at least reply from the iPad without needing my iPhone
What is the name of the 3rd party app?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.