Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
S
I've just tested this just now and it does delete everywhere for me. I opened the desktop app I have on my Windows 10 laptop (the beta version) and deleted a single message (there is ONLY the option to 'Delete for me' - there's no option to 'Delete for everyone' as there is in the non beta version).

I then went to the same chat thread on my app on my iPhone 13 Pro and the same message was no longer there.
Strange I was an early beta tester maybe I need to re do it

Reactions: Dino F

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
What we really need is having option to have to separate accounts on one device, I only carry my work phone to use WhatsApp I wish I could use there whatsapp on my iPhone app so have 2 accounts running they would be epic

Reactions: Paninnguaq and mhnd

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
What we really need is having option to have to separate accounts on one device, I only carry my work phone to use WhatsApp I wish I could use there whatsapp on my iPhone app so have 2 accounts running they would be epic
Or just join Telegram revolution that does that and hundred others thing since months/years.

fede777

macrumors member
May 10, 2017
WhatsApp web offered me a new update for multi device support, I updated and now there's a lot of missing stuff that I keep discovering.

• I can't see all my chat media history on the web, only on phone
  • My Favorite/Custom Group Stickers are gone from the web
  • I have a whole bunch of new sticker categories that I don't care about and can't delete them
  • My starred messages are not Synced, I can only see them on Phone
  • My muted Status for some contacts is not Synced
If this is how it's supposed to work, this sucks.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
so all we now need is an iPad app...Why it's taken years for one of the most popular messaging apps in
the world is beyond me.
Yea, or even just allow the iPhone one on the iPad, as a basic.

Or just join Telegram revolution that does that and hundred others thing since months/years.
Only suitable if more widespread. Out of 200 contacts, only 3 have it for me ?

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Meta Faitbuk has so many employees. Yet in the last ten years none of them have been able to upscale a simple iPhone app for Instagram or Whatsapp to iPad size

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Whatsapp is such a backward messenger with little to no improvements given the amount of users... on Telegram you get a new update like every week with a changelog of things that got improved/fixed.
"Meta" is lightyears behind that... not even having an iPad App in 2021 is just pathetic...

...the only reason WA still exists is that the average user is really damn slow adopting other services. Otherwise WA would have vanished years ago.
I’d love to escape WA but it certainly feels like the default messaging platform here in the uk, well possibly second only to fb messenger. I have a lot of contacts who I would bet my house on who wouldn’t move unless it was closed down as they “don’t like change”…

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I reverted from beta becuase it was horrible. Sync simply does not work.

Yeah I tired again and still doesn’t work

WhatsApp web offered me a new update for multi device support, I updated and now there's a lot of missing stuff that I keep discovering.

• I can't see all my chat media history on the web, only on phone
  • My Favorite/Custom Group Stickers are gone from the web
  • I have a whole bunch of new sticker categories that I don't care about and can't delete them
  • My starred messages are not Synced, I can only see them on Phone
  • My muted Status for some contacts is not Synced
If this is how it's supposed to work, this sucks.

Weird that this stuff doesn't work for you...??!

I am running the Beta on my Windows 10 laptop using the Whatsapp App(Version 2.2140.12) from the Windows Store.

I'm using Whatsapp in Windows, iPad (Safari browser window) and iPhone 13 Pro and all the above items are in unison with each other. I even have all my pinned chats all synced across all the devices.

dvanwinkle

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Ohio
Does this mean that WhatsApp are now storing our messages on their servers, as opposed to the desktop version just reading the iPhone contents? Or am I being naive and they always were?
It’s encrypted using end to end encryption. Your messages have always flowed through the server fully encrypted and the server has never been able to read your messages. When the recipient device is offline, the message stays on the server until the device comes online (single check mark). Once the recipient comes online, it’s delivered and removed from the server (double check mark).

The same thing happens with MD, except now there are multiple recipients (similar to a group chat).

Full white paper here if you’re interested: https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne....pdf/WhatsApp_Security_Whitepaper_Preview.pdf

Full disclosure: I work at WhatsApp

Reactions: mhnd

dvanwinkle

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Ohio
Looks like it is not a finished/polished roll out. Don't know it is so difficult to have an iPad app
Honestly, I thought this same thing before joining the team. The short answer is that the iPad is a companion but it’s sharing code with a primary app (iPhone). It’s basically rewriting an entire app inside another app to support being both a primary and a companion app. There are a lot of moving parts.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
WhatsApp is not my favourite messaging app for sure, definitely prefer Snapchat, FB messenger and plain old iMessage. But Telegram is almost unheard of in the UK. Thought that was only used by criminals and such

Reactions: Ansath

dvanwinkle

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Ohio
Reactions: d686546s

dvanwinkle

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Ohio
I’ve been using it on the beta for a while and it’s so annoying you have to delete both messages twice so if you set it up on your desktop if you delete a message on your phone it doesn’t sync so I’m always deleting them twice
This hasn't JUST been rolled out..???!

This option has been in the Whatspp app on iOS for the past month - I joined over a month ago.....
It was a phased roll out.

Reactions: Dino F

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It is not the most popular everywhere and especially it is not the most popular for advanced users who know how tech works. Telegram is superior in every aspect (security and privacy too, don't listen to FUD).
Although WhatsApp has many issues, Telegram is hardly the superior solution. For one, Telegram doesn’t even have e2e encryption by default. That by itself is a huge no.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
your phone will no longer need to stay online, although it's not currently possible to delete messages or conversation threads from a linked device.
It's funny how Facebook (excuse me, META) just can't get this right. Telegram perfected multi-device messaging from the start, years ago, and WhatsApp is still struggling with basic functionality.

Seriously, people, if you can get your WhatsApp using contacts to move to Telegram, it's worth it. It's so much better and not owned by Zuckyboy.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
End-to-end encrypted. ? How do we know? Because Zuckerberg promises that it’s really really true! ?
I try to tell people this all the time. Yes it's end-to-end encrypted but that encryption doesn't mean anything when you aren't the one who owns and holds the encryption keys, they do and therefore your messages can be intercepted at any time.

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
This doesn't work on Android? I mean if my main phone is an iPhone and I want to use WhatsApp on my Android on the same number like telegram ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.