When and What Ipod Classic Update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macsander, Jul 4, 2008.

1. macsander macrumors regular

macsander

Hi guys and girls,

I want to sell my black ipod video and buy an Ipod Classic but...
    When will the Ipod Classic be updated, probably september right? The Buyers guide says Don't Buy, which I agree with since it is almost a year since the las updates.

Even more important.

What updates will there be, only HDD upgrade or also new look, new user interface/software, new screen, better battery etc etc??

Thanks a lot!

So question is according to the answers I get, should I wait or buy..

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ignore the Buyer's Guide for iPods.

September is iPod month.

The classic is confusing, because it can't be updated. There aren't any 1.8" drives with larger capacities than that which are out now. I can see them changing the 80 to a 100 or something of that nature, but they can't get any bigger than the 160 that's out now.

3. kenned macrumors member

4. macsander thread starter macrumors regular

macsander

Seems unlikely because it would be pretty much the same as the Ipod touch.

5. kenned macrumors member

Yeah, but still, i'm thinking that they might drop the classic, and then create an iPod Touch with a HDD instead, somewhat :)

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I agree, I think this will definitely happen, although perhaps not until SSD is cheap enough and spacious enough as a hard drive, then they could skip the HDD based Touch altogether, drop the classic and the iPod Touch would become the flagship iPod. Perhaps next September.

7. macsander thread starter macrumors regular

macsander

Personally I don't think so since lot's of people still like the clickwheel and the high capacity. And it would be like dropping their soul, this ipod is what Apple made so famous.

8. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I think the classic will just get bigger hard drives and lower prices, but it would be nice if they could shave a millimeter or two off its dimensions. I just want one that is about 100GB but no thicker than the current 80GB. Handbrake has tripled the size of my iTunes library in less than a month.

9. macsander thread starter macrumors regular

macsander

Yeah but it is rumored that the Nano will get a new design and it would chances are big that the Classic will follow the design, or am I wrong here?

10. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Why did the thread go anywhere after this? You hit the nail on the head Tallest.

I haven't heard any Nano rumors, but even if they were going to go through a redesign, there isn't much that the iPod could go through.

There won't be an iPod Touch look alike, and they won't kill the classic anytime soon since the Touch can't come up to capacity of the Classic, or the "use it in your pocket" ability of the Classic or Nano or Shuffle.

There won't be an update anytime soon, look how long it took for the previous one, and it didn't change much. And as Tallest said, there isn't any new hardware to put in it.

11. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I can imagine new features that could be added to the Classic form factor.

- smaller size
    - lighter
    - better battery life
    - wifi
    - wireless email receiving, and email reading
    - wireless itunes purchases for music, podcast, games, etc.
    - wireless tie-ins with starbucks, etc.
    - remote control of AppleTV, Front row, etc.
    - multi player ipod games whever you are with anyone else with an iPod! (how cool would that be!)
    - touch screen in addition to scroll wheel for coverflow, games, etc.
    - speakers
    - camera

etc. There are still plenty of awesome drool-worthy upgrades that could be done to the iPod Classic even if drive capacities are already at their maximum current technological limits.

12. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Apple has a hard time putting the perfect hardware in a phone, let alone an iPod.

Besides, half of that stuff is in the Touch already.

13. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

And half of the stuff that's in the touch is in the iPhone. That's why this sort of feature tier system seems to be perfectly in line with what Apple always does with their product lines.

14. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Agreed, but the iPod Touch came about because it was obvious that Apple would make a lot of money selling an iPhone without the phone part, which they have.

The Classic doesn't really fit in that tier since it doesn't have the large screen or similar logic board of the Touch/iPhone.

15. darklyt macrumors regular

Isn't all of the stuff in an iPod Touch in an iPhone?

16. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, but I don't think the iPod touch can send sms messages or call people.

Atleast without hacks and what not. :p

Much less get on the internet without wifi

17. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Some people don't like having to look at their iPod to operate it...:rolleyes:

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They were both redesigned last year. Nope.

19. macsander thread starter macrumors regular

macsander

Agree! like me i like operating it in my pocket:)

20. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

keep the classis

i hope they keep the classic iPod around in some way.

i only use mine for music and storage,so i dont see the need for all that other crap on it. the reason i like it over the touch say, is ease of use in the car or in your pocket, i cant be going around flicking my finger over screens and turning it all over the place trying to find a song at the traffic lights!

the iPod in this general design is what made apple famous(in the mainstream!)

i think they'll keep it around for a long time as a homage to the glory days of apple!

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I've said since the last update that the classic may be on its last generation. Apple clearly wants to go the multi-touch route, and when the touch hits 64 GB (could be soon) it will be big enough for almost everyone.

I never see classics in the wild - it's all nanos and shuffles with some itouches. IMO the classic will be dropped when the line is updated in September and the touch gets higher capacity.

22. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The classic's not getting replaced any more than the nano is; most people primarily listen to music with their iPods, and many would switch to different products if they no longer had the ability to control their music without visual contact.

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree. The Classic will be around for a while mainly because of that. It's a lot easier to use and is very not cluttered. The storage and price is unmatched.

Nope, I don't think so. There is no proof that Apple is pushing to replace the iPod Classic with the Touch and Apple won't drop the Classic when/if the next update comes this September. That's just bad speculation.

The iPod Touch won't get updated to 64GBs anytime soon since there aren't any 32GB chips in that size at a reasonable price.

Not seeing Classics in the wild doesn't mean that no one is buying them.

True music fans will be buying the Classic for years to come... and anyone with a large video library will want a Classic as well. The biggest thing Apple can do with it is keep increasing the size, lower the price, and put higher resolution video on the iTunes store so video can be viewed from the iPod over an HDTV.

24. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

...I don't think that you need to have 80 GBs of music on you to be a "true music fan". I get along just fine with my 8 GB Nano... and I'm a true music fan.

I think they should replace the Nano with a small, multitouch iPod similar to the touch, and make the iPod Touch's with an HDD and make them a bit thicker, and axe the classic.

25. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You guys are missing the point. People who use their iPods for music (as in, primarily music, and none of the extra crap added to iPods) aren't going to buy iPods if they can't operate them solely by hand. I know I'd never buy another iPod if the only options left were versions that required you to stare at the iPod just to change the volume, nevermind to pause a track. I'd find another device and move on--as would the millions of serious music listeners who bought iPods to replace their CD/minidisc players. As long as the touch requires visual contact to operate, it will *never* be a viable replacement for the regular iPod, regardless of its capacity, storage format, or other marketed fads pushed by Apple.