When Apple replaces iPhone, does the unlock provision\profile transfer to new phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shenan1982, Nov 9, 2013.

1. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

So I'm having issues with an intermittent\sticky home button on my iPhone 5s, so I'm thinking of taking it in and having it replaced under warranty.

When I bought my phone, I bought it using an ATT upgrade, and then i had it unlocked a week later. When I check the provisioning profile, it shows SIM unlocked, and I know I have unlocked because my T-Mo sim works in it too.

My question is if I take it in and they replace the phone, will the unlock status carry over to the replacement? I'd assume it would have to since the phone I'm taking in is unlocked, and I'd expect the same in exchange, right?

My friend seems to think if mine was unlocked, and it's replaced under warranty, the replacement will be unlocked as well.

Anyone know for sure one way or another?

2. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

They replace like for like
    If it's unlocked you'll get a unlocked one I'm return

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

you should at least remind the genius that its an unlocked phone so they can make sure you get one.

4. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Phone will/should be replaced with like unit, including the unlock.

5. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

In Canada this week. They replaced my iPhone 5s up here. Went perfect. They're trained to pull the unlock policy and verify with customer then transfer that policy to the new phone. So yeah as many said the new phone is unlocked.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

In a perfect world, it should happen that way.

I believe carriers do the unlocking and not Apple. So if u got it from Apple last time (Apple's stock) then there is a good chance Apple will give u another unlocked as well. ASK, they wont bite.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Apple does the unlocking thru iTunes. However, carriers can submit IMEIs that they want unlocked. That is how AT&T does it.

8. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I guess I should of stated IMEI unlocked.

I have swapped out an i5 that was IMEI unlocked and the next phone was also unlocked. I'm not sure if apple played any part or if it's all on att's side.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It is all on Apple's part. Apple controls the unlocking state of all iPhones.