When Apple Stores finally get watches...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by The Tuck, May 24, 2015.

1. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Do you guys think that there will be lines when Apple Stores begin selling watches directly? I'm kind of thinking yes... It will be like a second launch due to all the pent-up demand and supply constrains.

Tuck

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I read somewhere that they would start stocking some next month.

3. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Yes I do.
    I doubt they will be as big as an iPhone / iPad launch.
    I'd imagine a lot of people in those queues would be people with existing pre-orders that are not yet delivered.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I doubt it. They probably aren't going to make a big production about it, and the watches will probably just start showing up. It's not like they are going to have a "re-launch." Plus, the pre-orders probably satisfied a lot more of the initial demand than gets credit in these forums. A lot of people already have our watches.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

There's a good chance there will be lines. Some people probably gave up waiting a month and a half for one and said they would just wait until they are available in stores.

6. Subdiv macrumors 6502

This. And I bet it will be like the arrival of the spare bands...not all stores will get them at the same time.

7. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Because there is NO way for anyone to know this and bases upon all the guesses, I think there will be lines with no more than 10 people in each line. Lines will start to form 1/2 hour to 7 hours prior to store opening, but only at those stores that will have the watches. And of course, there is no way to know if each store will have every version, combination, and permutation of all the watches. :cool:

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

I have to agree with this. The watch has already been available online for a month now with a lot of orders already fulfilled. You may get a few small queues here and there but nothing like the lines produced by new Apple products when they first launch. I think that initial excitement will have died down quite a bit by now.

9. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502

CharlesShaw

Aside from scalpers, I'm thinking anyone near an Apple Store who really wants a Watch has an iPhone with favorite model(s) flagged in the Apple Store app and is checking daily for the in-store pick-up option.

10. KojiH macrumors 6502

As someone who has 4 watches on order and estimated shipping dates for the end of June and early July I can honestly say that if the stores get them first i will be lining up and canceling my orders.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

At least around NYC, any store lines nowadays often seem to be made up mostly of scalpers buying to send overseas.

So I think it'll depend a lot on how much overseas demand there is.

12. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

My delivery estimate is June 22nd-29th. I'm getting impatient, so I'll definitely cancel and purchase in store if they're available before my delivery window.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

Considering that every 38mm stainless steel watch except for the Space Black is now shipping in 1-2 weeks, and the 38m Sport are shipping in 2-3 weeks, my guess is that those will be the first in stores, as clearly supply has caught up with demand (and likely Apple overestimated the mix of 38mm relative to the 42mm).

Interestingly, although the Modern Buckle watches are now also in the 1-2 week range, including the soft pink band, which had been at "July" at one point, Apple still has not made the Modern Buckle available even for pre-order.

14. b3arclaw macrumors regular

Agreed. I ordered a 42mm BSB on 4/11 and I'm at day 43 waiting.
    If they stock the stores before a preorder, I will not be happy.

15. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

i haven't seen one watch outside this forum other then the one on my wrist and the ones on display at the apple store...

i live in a densely populated area and would have expected to start seeing them around by now....

16. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I think the line will consist of many people who pre-ordered and are still waiting.

Initially I thought all pre orders would be fulfilled before in store launch. As stores sell bands though now and many didn't get bands ordered a while ago from what I read. I'm not sure any longer.

Regardless I think there will be lines as initial supply can't possibly be enough to meet demand.

17. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I'm still waiting for the modern pink buckle to be available to order as an extra band. I hope it won't be much longer.

18. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

I doubt it'll be a big launch, I think it'll be a very gradual release just like the bands. I'm guessing the sport models will come out first and the more expensive models will come to stores a little later, just like launch.

19. Ben_Dover macrumors regular

Ben_Dover

so.... i think it's hard to pre box the different variations of apple watches. the sport itself has like what 10 variations? then you have the ss and edition. unless you buy the variant that you like and they give you the watch and a band of your choice both packaged separately. I'm so sleepy i don't know if I'm making sense...

20. CellXor10 macrumors regular

Pretty much all my thoughts I had from the thread title and initial post have been posted, but I have to agree with the people saying: no.

First and foremost, I do not think that there will be a large, nationwide (or international), announced, set date on which all Apple Stores will officially begin selling Watches- for which Apple could push their marketing to garner enough hype to create lines outside their stores. I think that store launches will be rather quiet- at least as they start up- where certain Watches will begin popping up in locations. And that this will then cause, by the time Apple 100% officially advertises that Watches are "In Stores Now," the demand to be tamed down to where lines won't be happening.

I also think that the only people that would be creating these lines, would be those who hadn't yet received a Watch they pre-ordered. And I do truly think that Apple will have fulfilled a VAST majority of the preorders, if not all, by the time most of the above paragraph starts happening. And (IMO obviously) the Watches that will start quietly popping up in stores will be those that have a heavy supply compared to demand. So, every single person that may still be waiting on a preorder really won't have any sort of argument as to why "they're pissed Watches are on store shelves before they received their preorder," because they could have placed an order WEEKS ago and received said Watch WEEKS ago, had they ordered one that was in less demand (and in this future scenario, available in Apple Stores).

I think that was a really long way of saying everything I wanted to say. But, to clarify- I 100% disagree with anyone "compromising" on the Watch they truly want just so they could get it RIGHT AWAY. So please don't take what I said above to mean that I think people should have done so in order to get a Watch quicker. It will totally be worth the wait once you have the Watch you had your heart set on, and I do think that most people who audibled so they could have their Watch NOW will regret it in the end. My main point there being, I do not think that anyone will walk into an Apple Store and walk out with a Space Grey Black Sports Band (for example) before almost every single preorder has been taken care of.

21. KojiH, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015

KojiH macrumors 6502

We are now a month out from release day for the Watch and Apple should know exactly the distribution of sales based on each size/model/strap SKU. With Tim Cooks supply chain management background and Apple's just in time manufacturing I would hope that they are adjusting production resources to the configurations that are still back ordered rather than continue to produce a surplus of those styles that they have already caught up.

I think people waiting on preorders would be very upset if for example the 42mm SS Leather loop Watches showed up in stores alongside individually packaged Milanese straps if Apple hadn't yet fulfilled all of the 42mm SS Milanese preorders.

22. mynameisjosh macrumors regular

mynameisjosh

I would bet my Apple Watch that people who pre-ordered during the two week window will get their watches before they start showing up in stores. I highly doubt Apple would ship the same watches to the stores that still have pre orders pending. That would create quite a headache for them.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Lined up?

My local store is packed on the weekends and the line continues on the outside as the fire code will only allow so many in the store. There are police there keeping order and the watch is not even in the store. I would never get near the place on the weekend.

24. bushido Suspended

bushido

mostly the Genius Bar is full on weekends but i am not exactly sure what that says about Apple in general if so many people appear to have issues?

25. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Heh...it could be like the call centre. So many people seem to call them for the most trivial reasons (and often things that the reps couldn't possibly know).

People are lonely. "The guys at the genius bar are my friends. They like it when I come to visit."

Hehe :D