Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffreyVB

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
After months, and 61 pages, of anticipation, I’m gonna pass. I’ll stick with my M2 12.9.

Luke Miani made a great point, this Pro update would require a full iPad ecosystem refresh, new iPad, pencil, cover, Magic Keyboard. As much as I would love a sexy new iPad, just can’t justify it.

I’ll live vicariously through you guys. :)

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Luke Miani made a great point, this Pro update would require a full iPad ecosystem refresh, new iPad, pencil, cover, Magic Keyboard. As much as I would love a sexy new iPad, just can’t justify it.
Tbf, Luke Miani has never been a iPad advocate in general (has a video portaying RIP to the iPad).... so, of course he would take any angle to devalue an upgrade.

I believe he's still rocking an 2018 iPad Pro... haven't even jumped on the M1+ train. But it's understandable that it's going to be a hefty cost to upgrade... however, it's not as if the new accessories are garbage. New Pencil is dope with all the added features, finally get a larger trackpad and dedicated keys alongside an improved frame with the Magic Keyboard.

The problem is... whatever Apple introduces, it's going to be expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: the future

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
What do you mean by 'functional keys'? The keys in the old keyboard worked - what does the new one do differently? I must have been paying attention to something else when they discussed the new keyboard.
At the very top the function row keys for brightness.etc many users were requesting it

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
I placed orders yesterday for cellular models in both nano and standard glass. I figured i would try them side-by-side for a couple of days and see which i wanted to keep. But, the more i thought about it, the more i realised that it wasn’t cost effective, I’m not a designer or editor and will never get the full benefit of the power of the machine, so I’ve cancelled both orders.

When you add up the cost and compare the offerings to the 6th -or even 5th- generations, you don’t get a lot for the mark-up, at least not for a general user.

I have this morning purchased an immaculate 6th generation 12.9 (M2) Cellular 256GB Space Grey with 9 months of warranty remaining. I will run this alongside my current 5th generation 11 (M1) Cellular 256GB Space Grey and have the best of both worlds and money left over!

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I placed orders yesterday for cellular models in both nano and standard glass. I figured i would try them side-by-side for a couple of days and see which i wanted to keep. But, the more i thought about it, the more i realised that it wasn’t cost effective, I’m not a designer or editor and will never get the full benefit of the power of the machine, so I’ve cancelled both orders.

When you add up the cost and compare the offerings to the 6th -or even 5th- generations, you don’t get a lot for the mark-up, at least not for a general user.

I have this morning purchased an immaculate 6th generation 12.9 (M2) Cellular 256GB Space Grey with 9 months of warranty remaining. I will run this alongside my current 5th generation 11 (M1) Cellular 256GB Space Grey and have the best of both worlds and money left over!
This is ridiculous! How am I going to get my great deal on a used M2 iPad Pro with attitudes like this? :D

• Haha
Reactions: JeffreyVB

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
i saved money by not buying the keyboard lol I haven’t seen my Magic Keyboard for at least 8 months now so I figured I can go without this one lol. I will however take the pencil pro even if Ill only use it once

JeffreyVB

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
Tbf, Luke Miani has never been a iPad advocate in general (has a video portaying RIP to the iPad).... so, of course he would take any angle to devalue an upgrade.

The problem is... whatever Apple introduces, it's going to be expensive.

Two very valid points. 😁

Marswarrior462

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2020
Calgary, AB, Canada
I know I may sound insane, having spent $4500+ on a new iPad, but even if iPadOS 18 is a bad and disappointing update like iPadOS 15, I'm still keeping my iPad. I'll probably keep it for at least 4 or 5 years or more. I don't agree with Apple's storage upgrade prices, but inflation sucks. Soon, Windows PCs are going to start at $3000 and smartphones are going to start at $2000. It's a hard fact of life

• Haha
Reactions: gusping

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I know I may sound insane, having spent $4500+ on a new iPad, but even if iPadOS 18 is a bad and disappointing update like iPadOS 15, I'm still keeping my iPad. I'll probably keep it for at least 4 or 5 years or more. I don't agree with Apple's storage upgrade prices, but inflation sucks. Soon, Windows PCs are going to start at $3000 and smartphones are going to start at $2000. It's a hard fact of life
With an attitude like that they will. But that's good, that's how I get my steals on Swappa and Ebay.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
No, they are not going to start at insane. Think outside the Apple world

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland

And this is why I no longer upgrade my iPhone yearly. At least it is encouraging me to be more sustainable!

As am still on iPhone 14 PM I was tentatively planning to upgrade to the 16 this year but am getting more prudent in my old age so will only do if really going to be a step up (particularly if significant camera improvement / functionality).

Marswarrior462

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2020
Calgary, AB, Canada
Windows PC’s aren’t cheap tho if you want top specs like the iPad Pro.
I bought a Dell XPS with OLED and de ents specs and that was close to 2.5k
I'm assuming that's USD, which would translate to almost $4k here. Is everyone raising their prices, not just Apple? I'm not happy about the price hikes either, but I'm willing to suck it up

mtngal

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2015
I wonder how in-store stock levels are going to be on the 15th - 20th? I’m not entirely sure where I will be and when, and I‘m planning on trading in my old iPad. If it’s likely the 13” 1TB regular glass cellular models will sell out fast, then I’ll plan on staying an extra day and driving down to an Apple Store that day. Otherwise, I’ll head out on the 15th (if I can, there may be reasons why I can’t) and buy one at my next stop that has an Apple Store around the 17th or so.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Whoa on price! What upgrades did you add?

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Still use a gen 2 so 7 years. I expect the M4 will be fine for at least 7 years. I am looking at the 1Tb pro model which would cost me on average about 35 USD per month converted from my countrys prices assuming 7 years. I can live with that despite a rather high initial investment.

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
🤨

Not sure what's humorous. You could just ask for the stickers from the store itself, they just aren't packaged inside with the ipads.

Apple Stores, however, are receiving shipments with a limited quantity of Apple logo stickers that can be distributed to customers who buy a new iPad Pro or iPad Air, but only upon request. So, if you buy an iPad Pro or iPad Air from an Apple Store, you can request an Apple sticker at the time of purchase.

When Apple Stores run out of their supply of stickers, they can order more from Apple.

🤷‍♀️

Apple is just doing an end run around their own "lofty" goals, so as to not upset that one obligatory "that guy" who rages about anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.