When are the iPad Pro reviews going to start appearing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ApplePhy, Nov 7, 2015.

1. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

I'm counting on these hands on reviews (from the obligatory set of tech sites--particularly The Verge, CNET, Mashable, etc...) before contemplating purchasing an iPad Pro in the future.

Particularly interested in the real world processor speeds. Although my iPad Air 2 has served me well (for probably 95% of my computing needs), I still needed a laptop for that 5%, hence my recent Macbook Retina purchase.

Although I'm extremely satisfied with the portability and slim factor of my MacBook, nothing beats the even lighter and more portable iPad and battery life (I'm currently getting around 7 hours from my MB, vs. 10 hours with my Air2). I still prefer general web browsing on my Air2, as navigating websites on a tablet is much more satisfying and efficient IMO.

Although the A9X is touted as a monster of a processor (and faster than the vast majority of all laptops shipped this year---according to Apple), I have my doubts when it comes to being able to totally replace my need for a laptop.

2. Malte. macrumors member

Yeah we are all waiting for the reviews, but most of all to try it in store.
    I really want to replace my macbook air with an iPad pro but i don't know if it can. Also we still don't have the pricing revealed here in Sweden, I'm afraid it will be 1000USD for 32GB here.

3. randyspellwyn macrumors newbie

When it goes on sale next week, the reviews will come one after one. I am waiting for them as well for the Apple Pencil.

4. newellj macrumors 601

Not until it's been released for sale.

5. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

This isn't true. Reviewers generally get the devices about a week early and the embargo ends a few days before the release. If release is on Wednesday definitely expect the reviews to go up tomorrow or Tuesday.

6. Macalway macrumors 68000

Maybe we will know more tomorrow.

They put on a good show with all this secrecy don't they? :D

A bit annoying, but fun.

7. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

that is true. this is the source of all these threads :) i mean, if they didnt string things out how boring people's lives would be.

8. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Money already burnt a hole in every pair of pants I own waiting for this. :)

9. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

so you'll be running around in your boxers, but happy because you'll be an ipp owner. :)

10. Macalway, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015

Macalway macrumors 68000

They will probably just be the usual.

"Evolutionary, not revolutionary"
    "Fun, but do you need it?"
    "Pricey, but good"

Just the usual spiel.

11. meldea macrumors regular

For the iPhone 6 and 6S releases, the embargo lifted three days before release. For iPad Air 2, it was one day.

So 1-3 days is the range we're looking at. I don't see it happening on Monday (before Apple even announces its release plans), but Tuesday reviews will happen if the Wednesday release report is legit.

12. Dave245 macrumors 601

Isn't the release date suppose to be Friday 13th? Obviously this is all guess work until Apple confirms.

13. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Press release on Monday, reviews on Tuesday and in-store availability on Wednesday would make me really happy.

14. newellj macrumors 601

Look at the most recent data point, the release of the the Mini 4. IIRC, it was release 9/9. I think the earliest "first impressions" (which was not a review) was a day later. Real reviews didn't show up for 7-10 days or more.

15. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Totally different case there. Mini 4 was available on the same day it was announced! In other words, a soft launch.

In every case where the release date has been later than the announce date, some journalists have had early access.

[Aside: The only instance I can recall of early access before public announcement (announcement that is, not availability) is the recent iMac update where some reviewers had them early.]

16. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

This is because the iPad Mini wasn't announced before it was available. Of course they weren't going to ship review units to people before it was announced to the public. Any product that is announced in advance is distributed early for review, though.

17. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

The real reviews will occur when you purchase it...and then you'll review it.

18. sketchguy macrumors member

sketchguy

Meh - i'll take a pass on the snarky tech blogs and listen to my fellow artist peers who've gotten to try out the pencil and Pro first hand.

A buddy of mine who was a Pixar story artist and is now at Sony Imageworks got a teaser look the other night and sent me this:

"Dude! It's awesome! The pencil is sick! Palm rejection is spot on. We're talking pixel accuracy! Tilt recognition. Great app integration on Procreate, Paper, and Adobe Sketch. A must buy for sure."

This is all I really need to know, as I'll be using the Pro solely for digital sketching and concept art, saving files as .PSD from Procreate, uploading to DropBox, and opening up on desktop Mac Pro when needed - skipping the need to scan in pencil drawings for now. Hoping to see some more advanced apps come out that support minor 3d editing and 2d animation as well, but honestly, i'm not expecting (nor wanting) to do ZBrush sculpting or Maya 3d modeling on the couch when I'm really just wanting to sketch after winding down the work day.

19. Macalway macrumors 68000

We shall see.

20. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

yes and somehow with a rating of:

9 out of 10 from the verge
    4.5/5 stars from CNET
    89/100 from engadget

21. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Awesome this exactly what I needed to hear too. :) I can't wait to start doing some character designs and simple sketches.
    Thanks for sharing that info. :)

K.

22. newellj macrumors 601

Fair point. But do we have any recent situations where Apple announced a product and then even when they got very close to the general release time still hadn't given any indication of a specific date? I honestly don't remember (either yes or no).

Great screen name. ;) What happens if the iPP is an absolutely amazing product for an incredibly narrow product niche? If that's true, i wonder whether Apple will be willing to migrate the tech down to the 9.7" and Mini iPads? No way of knowing at this time, I think.

23. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

You have the press release date right! hopefully reviews tomorrow, online release Wednesday, in store Thursday or Friday?

24. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

That's what I'm thinking. Slight chance reviews go up tonight but more likely tomorrow. I hate the ambiguity in "later this week." I wish they would give us a hard in-store release date. I am really excited to pick mine up.

Edit: Reviews tomorrow at 9PM EST, calling it now!

25. Malte. macrumors member

32gb for 1060$, Its just to much.