When are the new iMac's coming out?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WorldTravelBro, Jul 16, 2013.

1. WorldTravelBro macrumors member

I want to get rid of the ones I bought last November and upgrade to the newer models.

I dont think I have enough patience for 2 moths. I think one is the most?

2. tomg84 macrumors newbie

No one knows. Could be today, tomorrow, the next day.................... If you can hold off, hold off; if you can't, buy.

3. mrmarts macrumors 65816

Well my friend it looks like your out of luck a new Imac may have a fall release, personally I would not update a imac less than a year old all your getting is a better wifi protocol, the processors are not much of an improvement, unless they add bigger hdd 4gb with fusion and bump the graphics at least 3gb i would stick to a 2012 machine.

I wish i never sold my late 2009 imac, i am now pressured to use my macbook retina for another year as there is much talk of better update than.

4. Jedi Master macrumors regular

What's the rush?

I'm not sure there will be much gain for iMac's.
    Heck dedicated gpu's might go the way of the dodo's

Heck most of the new iMac are less than 6 months old

Can I ask what your hoping to gain in the "Haswell" iMac?

Thanks,
    Jm

5. Serban Suspended

6. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Hoping for an update sooner which warrenty a quiet no fanfare release

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Won't happen before September as that is when the desktop Haswell CPUs the iMacs will use are scheduled be shipped by Intel.

So if you want it in August, buy the current model, but you're going to forgo 802.11ac WiFi and PCIe SSDs (which is why I am waiting).

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

If he purchased in November last year doesn't he already have the current model? Thats when I got mine.

I don't think they will even upgrade this year to be honest. When they do it will just be faster processor and wifi (which I don't use due to the Time capsule sat on the desk next to it).
    When I was waiting to buy people always said it would be on a Tuesday (every Tuesday)!

9. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

And PCIe which will only like double read/write speeds.

10. tawfiqmp macrumors member

tawfiqmp

I'm in the same situation. I'm anxious to get one, but I don't want to get the 2012 model and then the 2013 one comes out like a week later. I can wait as much as 2-3 months if that's how long it takes.

11. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Usually apple will announce updates during an event, or if its minor updates they will usually still secretly put the upgrades online around that time.

Their fall refreshes usually took place in September, with an October/November release. so maybe around that time this year we can expect them

12. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Fall makes sense so that they have a fresh lineup for the holidays.

13. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I would've thought apple would stagger the release so the iMac and the Mac Pro don't come out the same day. I think they have to do these things because of supply constraints, tech support, Not overloading the orders system, etc. If so, I think the iMac would come out first

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They're markedlaunched. Are they not yet shipping to oems?

The reason this is likely is due to imac parts being available first. Mac Pros parts aren't likely to be available until very late in the current year. Apple skipped an entire generation, and they want to use thunderbolt. Thunderbolt 2 isn't out. Even if they're the biggest current thunderbolt customer by far, it will be out when it's out. I don't expect the mac pro to really change thunderbolt, as it is likely to remain a lower volume system.

15. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

If you are getting rid of iMac's that are not even a year old then I think your lack of patience is the least of your problems.

16. mrmarts macrumors 65816

I think its nuts especially since they are only gaining (based on the rumours) ac wifi which atm seems pointless, and the haswell processor which have little boost compared to the current cpu lineup. I would hang onto to what you got and wait until 2014 or even 2015 by than their will be a retina iMac.

17. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Haswell will also lower the power consumption for the iMac. iMac's doesn't rely on a battery but the electric bill will be lighter at least, especially if you keep your iMac powered on a lot.

18. Fra88mi macrumors newbie

I'm really curious about graphics cards...

Any rumors?

19. in4fun macrumors regular

I use my mac for work (graphic design office) and currently it dies on me nearly once a day (grey screen reboot message). It might be just a RAM issue but I'm sick of opening this thing up for another fix. I did so many times before since I upgraded RAM before, cleaned the internal fans etc. etc.

Do I really need a new imac? Hell yes, I depend on it and in fact I should have upgraded a long time ago but I just can't get myself to spend over 2k for a product that's about to be refreshed.

I saved up more than enough cash for a new iMac and logic says to replace it immediately and not waste any more time. I heard it often enough: don't torture yourself, you need it for your job so you're crazy if you don't order it today.

But you know what, I really want to - but I just can't. It's programmed deeply in my mind. If I buy something new it has to be the latest and best and most importantly "just out".
    I just can't live with the fact that 2 month later there's an updated version of "my new thing". I know it's stupid but I want to have at least 6 month of that premium feeling that there's nothing better out there.

So, now I'm stuck with saving my designs every few minutes, observing the beach ball too many times for too long and waiting for the next crash.

I know it's a pain in the behind but I can already see myself in 2 month (hopefully sooner) opening that huge sexy box with a self satisfactory grin on my face while padding myself on the back for being patient and not listening to all the critics.

Is it sick? Yes! Can I help it? No!
    And you know what - I guess there are many others like me out there :)

20. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Not that you would notice. Of the 80W a 2012 iMac uses on idle, 60W of that is the display. So the CPU, chipset, ram, fan, wifi, bluetooth and PSU are consuming 20W. Maybe the CPU is 12W of that 20W.

Let's assume Haswell is 30% more effecient. So it will save 4W in normal use - typing, surfing, idling. So about 15p saved every 250 hours of use. Say your iMac is on (not sleeping) 10 hours a day, that's roughly 15 pence per month saved then. £1.80 per year in savings.

21. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

So, is your current iMac losing you money because you're not as productive with a machine that dies on you every day?

22. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Further to my post above about minimal electricity savings using Haswell, actually there's probably no saving at all.

Here's Haswell power consumption compared to Ivybridge:

[​IMG]

This is the full system consumption, not just the chip. But you get the picture: Haswell draws more juice than Ivybridge does, for any given load condition. Not too surprising considering they are both 22nm devices and Haswell has an additional 200m transistors to keep amused.

23. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Around September - december, this year or maybe January - March, Or perhaps April - June next year

Doubt we will see one August or July this year :D

24. Tanax macrumors 6502a

That's 1 extra icecream per year!!! Not to be underestimated.

25. in4fun macrumors regular

Yes, it's costing me at least one additional hour every day in the office.
    Like I said, I know it's insane to wait, but I simply can't make that purchase right now, it's a mental problem and I'm well aware of that.

But to my defense:
    I have a friend who is an electrician. He once mounted a large set of wall plugs in a clients house and realized later (while lying in bed) that he installed one wall plug upside-down.
    With upside-down I'm talking about the type and model no. written on the inside of the wall plug which you can never see unless you rip it off the wall. From the outside of course you can't tell a difference (there is no up or down) and who would ever want to take a plug of the wall to check what the manufacturer printed inside.
    So he couldn't take it anymore and drove back to the client to turn that wall plug around, just so he can get some sleep because otherwise this little detail of imperfection would continue torturing his mind.

Somehow it's the same with me and Haswell around the corner. It doesn't make any sense but it will make me feel so much better ;)