When are you going to sell your phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bornjr, Aug 12, 2014.

1. bornjr macrumors member

If you are going to buy a new iPhone 6, and you currently have a phone, when are you going to sell it to try and get the most $ out of it?

I'm thinking about listing mine around the end of next week and I do have a back-up. Just curious what everyone else had in mind.

2. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Sold my iPhone 5 last week on CL and am using an old iPhone 4 until the 6 comes out. Got back the exact same $325 I paid for it almost two years ago.

3. trife macrumors 6502

trife

Probably within the next week or so. Trying to hold out as long as I can though, since my beater phone is absolutely awful. Thankfully I always have the iPad Air on me.

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

The smart bet is selling ASAP, but I need my phone until the 6 comes out so I'll have to settle for a lesser price post-release.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

We don't sell our phones.

We use part of our tax refund every two years to buy new phones so it's not necessary. Because we don't sell them we also don't have to worry about cases or handling or maximizing the resale value.

Our old phones either go on to other people as freebies or get used for other things around the house.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No selling my 5S. Will keep as a spare and likely give to a friend.

7. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

We also don't sell our old phones, we keep them as back ups and eventual give them away.

8. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Just sold my 5S yesterday, using my backup now. You want to make sure you sell before the announcement of the keynote. Not the actuall keynote, but when Apple officially says the keynote will be held sept 9, before that.

9. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I'll sell it on ebay and have the auction end about 2 days after the phone is released.

I really couldn't care less about losing 50 bucks by not selling now. I'm not gonna use some ancient phone for a month just to make a couple bucks.

10. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Based on my experience (and fortunate enough to live in a huge Craigslist market), I've never had any issues re-selling iPhones on Craigslist... even after the launch of the new phone. If anything, it makes Craigslist buzz even more... people jump to Craigslist knowing they can get the older models for a decent price, so as long as you got a good deal to begin with, you should be good to go.

I bought a gold iPhone 5s for $400 a year ago and plan on re-selling it for around that price. As long as you keep the phone in great condition (preferably with a case) and have the original box, charger, etc... you'll be able to get probably 80-100% return.

Granted, I know the original $400 a year ago was a good deal (they were typically going for $450-$500, so I got kind of lucky).

11. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I wait until launch when I do sell.

Sometimes, I hand mine down to the kids.

I use my phone daily. Inconveniencing myself to make a little extra isn't worth it.

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Not selling our 5s's, either. My brother's and my iPhone 5s are going to my mom and dad to replace their 5. The 5 will be unlocked for use when traveling overseas.

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I sell it between the time invites go out and the actual event since most of the general public don't pay attention to that.

14. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Immediately after I have the 6 in my hands. I'm selling my 4S for only $200 to a friend of a friend abroad. I will miss my 4S. I wonder if I should just keep it and just store it somewhere, but it's Sprint, and I doubt I can use it anywhere else but abroad.

15. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

My policy is to sell between when MacRumors reports on the rumored date (confirmed by WSJ, Jim D., etc.) and when Apple actually sends out the invites. The last few years, the mainstream press and local news has even reported "New iPhone expected to be unveiled by Apple on September ___." When people see it on the news, that's when the value starts to drop.

I remember I sold my iPhone 4 for $580 right before the 4S came out. That is the best I have ever done... considering it sold for $650 unsubsidized new. The person who bought it had to be clueless and had to have been kicking themselves once the new phone was announced.

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Technically, if it was the iPhone 4 AT&T, it was $600 without contract so that is pretty good. Then again, back in those days, you can sell brand new AT&T locked iPhones on eBay for $800-1,000. :p

17. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

I have an iPhone 5s, i just bought it 4 months ago and its works really great so right now not have any planing to go with 6. but really excited for ios 8.:cool:

18. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

19. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

If you're worried about the "timing" of selling your old phone for maximum price, and $50 extra is a big deal to you, then you probably shouldn't be buying a new phone.

20. bornjr thread starter macrumors member

I'm not "worried" one bit. I buy a new iPhone every year off contract. I was just wondering what other people were doing, so I asked. Simple as that.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wait until I have another phone in hand, I don't want to lose my phone number.

22. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Selling?

Why?

We will probably be adding another 5 or 5s shortly.

So many people that are POSITIVE they want this new phone. Going to be interesting to see what really happens.

23. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

If it sucks I'll go with the note 4 and moto 360. Simple as that.

24. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I'll just trade my 5s in at Best Buy when I get the new phone. I have enough phones on my plan that I will get a new one on contract for free that way. I might not make any money, but I don't have to go without a phone and there is no hassle that way.

25. pure-rockstar macrumors regular

I'm going to sell it on the same day I buy it. I should've kept my 5c as a backup.

I might buy another 5c for that purpose.