When do we think iOS 5 will be released?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miamialley, Jul 23, 2011.

1. miamialley, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Obviously, none of us know, but what are your thoughts and why? Didn't Apple say it'd be released in "the fall?" Does that mean literally not before the end of September when fall technically begins?

2. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

My aunts nephews dogs cousin thinks it will be in the year 2036.

I had to...

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

My thoughts and reasonings as to why are not going to make Apple release iOS 5 any quicker, but since you asked, my guess is on Sept 29, 2011.

Thoughts, its fall
    Why, because my guess is as good as anyone else's.

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'd guess mid-September, but apparently that's not Fall/Autumn, so I don't know

5. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I will only believe him if he's an analyst or some guy that works at the AT&T store!

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i think sooner than mid sept. we are already on our fourth beta and most iOS versions get five plus golden master. if each is two weeks apart that would be around a month or so. i know thats not fall but what is apple really going to do for an extra month. they can only release so many betas before the OS is very stable.

7. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

I think around the second week of September. iPod Touches shipping with iOS 5 installed.

8. dukekid21 macrumors newbie

Around Fall

I think it will be released the same week the iphone 5 comes out or gets announced...

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Earlier this year with iOS 4.3, Apple released iOS 4.3 Beta 3 on Feb 1st and then the GM version a month later on March 3rd, with the Public release a week later on March 9th.

So yes Apple can go more then a month between a final beta and a public release.

iOS 4.3 beta 3
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/01/apple-to-release-third-beta-of-ios-4-3-today/

iOS 4.3 Public Release
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/09...lay-and-safari-improvements-personal-hotspot/

10. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Beta 4 is so stable though. I don't think Apple needs to release a Beta 5 at this point. They should go straight to GM then public release :D

11. aztooh macrumors 6502a

The post you quoted didn't say Apple "can't" or "won't" go over a month. And actually, they said; "a month or so"...which is about what you linked...a month and 8 days, with the 'month' part being the shortest month on the calendar.

And besides, what he's saying is mid Sept is almost 2 months out from release of b4, hence the 'what are they going to do for an extra month'.

12. jonrando, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

jonrando macrumors 6502a

My prediction is that the GM seed will be out early August and the final release will be out mid August to VERY early September.

If there's a beta 5, the release would be pushed be a week or two.

13. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

they messed up the bluetooth stack big time with beta 4..

14. shandyman Suspended

No way final release will be august as that's not the Fall, fall is from the september equinox, which is around the last week of september, like this year will be 23rd Sept. Apple said 4.1 would come out in fall last year, which they released in November.

beta 4 is very close to a GM, but still has some bugs, beta 4 saw windows getting wifi syncing, so i expect beta 5 as a minimum to counter for problems from that and from OTA syncing which was only tested for the first time with beta 4. I'm going with beta 6 in mid august, then GM beginning of september, at the earliest for around 3 weeks or so. they know exactly when they're releasing it, they said the Fall, so we have a rough idea, they won't release it any earlier even if the GM has been read for ages.

15. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Sept 5th, the day the iPhone 5 will be available in the US. Oct 5th for Europe - fact*

* may not be fact - based on a rumour I read today

16. wayneholbrook macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

I believe there will be 6 beta's then the gm. More features keep coming out with each beta, then of course more bugs with each set of features. I think 5.0 will be unlike previous versions when it comes down to how many beta's are released. My guess is mid September. We don't even have a date for Apple's PR event as of today. No way it comes before the 15th of September. But I would love to be wrong. I'm using beta 4 and still lots of bugs, nothing crazy but still some work to do. Just my thoughts.

17. jonrando macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt Apple will get all technical and release it when the fall equinox occurs. Last year they said iOS 4.2 for iPad would be released in the fall and it came in late November. They are a company not scientists.

I don't think it will take a little over a month to complete testing of beta 5 and a GM seed.

18. shandyman, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

shandyman Suspended

lol way to twist my words. just pointing out that Fall STARTS on the september equinox and lasts until November. so they won't launch until AT LEAST the end of september. As you said and i said, iOS 4.2 was schedled for the Fall and came out in November which is when? oh yea, still the Fall

beta 4 came out friday, so beta 5 will be approx 06/08/11 (providing its ready, as betas have been running on average every 2 weeks). there will be at least that, beta 6 (which i am fairly certain we will see) should be about 20/08/11, which puts GM approx 06/09/11.

Just cos GM may be ready by then, doesn't mean they will launch official then. Even if GM was ready next week, they won't release early, they told everyone the Fall, they will stick to this.

Also, since there's a 95% chance of the next iPhone being launched around end of sept/oct, they'll wait until that's ready, since iOS and new iPhone's get launched around the same time.

But excuse me for using logic based on facts and reason, which you seem to ignore.........

19. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Beta 6? That's funny. I don't think there's ever been a beta 6 of iOS.

20. shandyman Suspended

just because there may not have been, doesn't mean there won't be. It's not like everything is predictable anymore as we expected to have all this about 3 months back. with beta 4 we got 2 quite big features for the first time, namely OTA updating and windows Wifi syncing, there was bugs in the Mac version of this which took 2 betas to fix, yes ok they have the knowledge of that to help get through the windows one, but can't guarantee it. Plus you can't expect OTA to have all bugs knocked out in 2 fixes.

I'm not saying there WILL be a beta 6, just saying that i would not be surprised and kind of expect it.

even if beta 5 is the last one, does not mean that GM will be exactly 2 weeks, am sure we had a GM that came out 3 weeks after the previous beta IIRC.

21. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

If it isn't put out on the day of the iPhone/iPod event in september then it will fall on one of the 4 tuesdays in september. Apple likes tuesday.

22. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

my money is on them not releasing iOS 5 until the next iPhone is ready to go. If it's all said and done by October 1st I would be surprised. Hopefully they release the OS like a week or so before the phone to lighten up download traffic a little bit. All those people downloading iOS 5 for their current phones and then all those people getting the next iPhone on launch day.... kaboom for the servers.

With another network offering the iPhone I bet this year makes last years ordering/activating issues seem like fun.

23. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

this is kind of a side question. Im still running 4.1 factory installed on my iphone (didnt find any need to update the os so far)

but when iOS 5 comes out, would i need to update to the latest version of iOS 4 before upgrading to iOS 5? Or can i just jump straight from 4.1 to 5?

24. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

you can jump straight to 5

25. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

sweet, thanks.