Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
Just trying to gather a few opinions and experiences really about when you take the watch off to do a certain activity, hobby or bit of work. Obviously the watch is designed for slightly more day-to-day use than a phone or an iPad hence it's "water resistant" rating but where do you draw the line?

---------------------​

Personally, I've stopped wearing my watch in the shower. Not because I need to but because showering is usually the first or last thing I do in the day and I will only need to take it off again to dry my wrist and the band anyway so it makes more sense to put it on when I get out in the morning rather than the second I leave my bed.

I don't plan to wear my watch when I wash my car and there will be gallons of dirty water involved but I will be putting it back on to carry on with detailing (just a hobby of mine) where I'll be using products like polishes, waxes and glazes. Similar situation with pot washing although a few plates with just crumbs on in clean water isn't going to make me take it off.

Finally, some people may question my choice but I continue to use my watch in my factory job where it's often exposed and likely to get scratched up a bit. In my eyes it's going to happen anyway over time and at work is actually where I use my watch the most as I can't over-use my phone but nobody seems to notice when I tap away on my wrist checking notifications, the weather and actually just the time. That said, I've now had it over a week with the odd bump and scrape and the condition is still 'out of the box' perfect.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I take mine off when I am getting in bed and put it on the charger. In the morning I put it on right before I walk out the door to go to work. I work in an office, so I don't really have the "danger" at work that you described.

Reactions: ZhenyaF

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Only when I go to sleep, to put it on the charger.

I'm liking watchOS 2.0's Nightstand mode a lot that I created a little hack. I put a nightstand that is touching my bed so if I hit my bed really hard, the watch wakes up to show me the current time :D (the watch wakes up the display if it detects any movement) I have entirely switched over to using the alarm on the watch as well. I used to use my iPhone.

I found that the alarm on the watch is not too loud, but loud enough to wake me up. Still, people might find it pretty quiet. I think Apple made it so that you will hear it, but someone in the next room won't.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Have been sleeping with the watch so the alarm wakes me up in the morning. Take it off to charge it while I take a shower. Put it on and wear it all day until evening, then take it off when all the Activity circles fill up, put it on the charger, then put it back on right before I go to sleep.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I put it on in the morning - right when I get up if I'm not showering right away, after my shower if I am - and take it off when I get into bed at night. I also take it off any time I take my rings and bracelets off for messy things - when preparing to cook poultry, doing really greasy dishes, making biscuits, etc. I'm not terribly worried about damaging it, just don't want to waste time cleaning it if I don't have to.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I take it off just before I lay down to sleep and put it back on when I wake up. I do take it off when I shower but don't when I swim. Its not the water that bothers me, I just like to shower without and did the same with other watches in the past.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I take it off when I go to bed at night and put it on the charger. I put it on first thing in the morning before I get out of bed. I take it back off, rinse it, and put it back on the charger, after my workout while i'm showing. I put it back on once it gets back to 100% charged and leave it on for the rest of the day.

foxkoneko

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
only when I shower or go to sleep (sometimes I even forget this :eek: then no battery in morning o_O)

crispApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2015
Wisconsin
When I first got it I didn't take it off until I went to bed at night. Now usually when I get home from work I take it off and put my phone down for a while then put it back on if I leave or something. Then at night it sits on the charger. Goes back on at 7am after I shower.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
1. When I shower
2. At night while I sleep so it can charge
3. Mowing the yard
4. Washing the car

That's about the only times.

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
I put it on when I wake up. I take it off when I go to bed.

I workout in the morning and wear it during the workout. I shower after my workout, and wear it when I shower since it gets kinda sweaty.

I have the SS BSB version. Surprised so many people take it off to shower actually! I've had it for two months now and been showering with it daily.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Here's the only times I take mine off:

1) When I go to sleep
2) When I shower
3) When I swim
4) When I play a little 5 on 1
5) Whenever I do something very dirty like working on a car or in the garden

Otherwise, I wear it all the time.

RyanCA

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2015
I put mine on at 6:45 AM, take it off at about 11:15 PM Weekdays.

During that time, I shower in the morning with it on, workout with it on, shower at the gym with it on.
After work I may shower again if I go on a run, all while leaving it on. Done this since May 1st when I received it, no issues its still flawless.

Tim says she showers with it, thats a good enough answer for me to trust its resistance.

42mm Sport.

Reactions: Bryan Bowler

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
42mm SS, basically I only take it off for showering and sleep. My routine the past few days is wake up, put on the watch, go to the gym, watch off during the shower, back on immediately after and I head to work. I work in hospitality and while there are slight "danger" possibilities, generally my watch is pretty safe.

It then stays on until I get home and hit the shower. I usually put in back on afterwards until I actually decide to hit the hay, then repeat.

vincent_007

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2015
Germany
I also take it of if I am under the shower or swimming and before I go to bed. All the other time I'm wearing it for example while doing weight lifting or running or at my office job.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
take it off every morning at around 30/40% when i wake up. i then put it on the charger for an hour which usually puts me back at 100 percent

titanflyer

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I am a little different. I can't sleep without a watch cause I wake up a lot and need to check the time, so I wear mine in power save mode during the night and then charge it in the morning when I really don't need the watch. Then I wear it all day and around 11pm when I got to bed, I flip it back over to power save.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Personally, I've stopped wearing my watch in the shower. Not because I need to but because showering is usually the first or last thing I do in the day and I will only need to take it off again to dry my wrist and the band anyway so it makes more sense to put it on when I get out in the morning rather than the second I leave my bed.

I don't plan to wear my watch when I wash my car and there will be gallons of dirty water involved but I will be putting it back on to carry on with detailing (just a hobby of mine) where I'll be using products like polishes, waxes and glazes. Similar situation with pot washing although a few plates with just crumbs on in clean water isn't going to make me take it off.

Finally, some people may question my choice but I continue to use my watch in my factory job where it's often exposed and likely to get scratched up a bit. In my eyes it's going to happen anyway over time and at work is actually where I use my watch the most as I can't over-use my phone but nobody seems to notice when I tap away on my wrist checking notifications, the weather and actually just the time. That said, I've now had it over a week with the odd bump and scrape and the condition is still 'out of the box' perfect.
I'm much the same as you. I put it in when I get up and take it off when I go to sleep at night. I don't wear it during a shower because wouldn't be able to wash underneath it.

I also work in a factory and have been questioned as to the wisdom of wearing it there. In the most precarious situations, I am already wearing a "burn sleeve" to protect my arm from reaching into a hot press and it protects my watch too. I do briefly remove it when I will be dealing with cleaning solutions or die lube, but that is only about once a week. I've promised myself that if I ever get to the point that I'm worrying too much about protecting my watch to allow me to do my job properly, then it comes off at work. So far, so good after nearly a month. I do notice that I'm paying more attention to where I swing my arm. I tagged it on the door handle to Panera once, all good though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.