When do you think the public beta will drop? (Serious!)

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by gwhizkids, Jul 6, 2016.

Tags:
?

When are we likely to see iOS 10 Public Beta 1 available?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2016.
  1. July 7

33 vote(s)
    46.5%
  2. July 20 or 21 (depending on Mon/Tues release of next Dev Beta)

27 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. July 27-28 (depending on Mon/Tues release of next Dev Beta)

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Other date (elaborate in comments)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

With the release of a very polished Dev Beta 2 yesterday, all eyes are now on the Public Beta release. Apple has said it will drop in July, but (as of this writing), July has 25 days remaining. Of those 25 days, and based on past Apple practice (which, of course, we've just learned is not necessarily the best guide!) the Public Beta seems likely to hit either tomorrow, July 7, or 48 hours after the next Dev Beta release (which may occur 7/18-19 or 7/25-26 [depending on whether the 3 week beta refresh were just seen is the new norm or not]).

Personally, I think that the OS is ready for a public beta at this point. There don't seem to be any showstoppers that are going to brick a lot of phones or cause a lot of support calls. Messages - the big kahuna for the general public - now seems to be functioning properly and many of its featured animations and effects are even shareable in some form with iOS 9 users. On the other hand, delaying the Public Beta til after Dev Beta 3, means even that many fewer chances for significant issues on a public release.

On balance, I think there is about a 45% chance we'll see PB 1 tomorrow (July 7). I'd put this higher, but Apple likely cadences these releases out well before WWDC, without regard for the possibility of an anonymously stable initial release. So, if a release after Dev Beta 3 was the initial plan, it likely still is.

What do you think?

2. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

3. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

21st because the launch of a Public Beta x.0 for both iOS and macOS (iOS 8.3 being the only non x.0 exception because it was the very first iOS public beta release.) has always been on a Thursday.

4. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Have they even announced an iPhone event? I wouldn't be surprised if they announced the PB at that. Lets not forget, there are plenty of developers currently testing this and DP1 seemed pretty solid, so no need to rush out a public beta just to satisfy the fan bois who want to play with iOS 10 before it's release ;)

5. Roque1128 macrumors regular

Roque1128

At WWDC they said the public beta will drop in July. They aren't going to announce the public beta at the next iPhone event, that's when iOS 10 is going to release. Hopefully it'll be next week, but my thoughts are closer to the end of the month.

6. TurboPGT! Suspended

In about 2 weeks from today/tomorrow.

Unfortunately Beta 2 is no where near ready for public consumption. In some ways it improved upon Beta 1, in other ways it took a step back.

7. gwhizkids thread starter macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

You really think so? So far it is working quite well for me. But that's just me and the whole universe of user experiences have to be considered, I guess, before releasing. But, do remember that even when released to the public, its still a beta, with all that comes with that label. In other words: buyer beware!

8. TurboPGT! Suspended

No, the public beta needs to achieve a level where most major bugs that would make the average geek throw their device out the window have been squashed, and only the medium to small bugs remain. Beta 3 is usually that point.

9. gwhizkids thread starter macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

Usually...as in the past 2 major releases. For iOS 10, though, I would argue that we are there now, at least for most of the anecdotal stuff I've seen here and elsewhere. But it won't hurt anyone to wait, either.

10. efp722 macrumors regular

Wait what? The iPhone event is when they will announce the release date of the new phones and new OS update.

11. batting1000 macrumors 604

So you're saying they're going to announce the public beta at the iPhone event in October...

Yeah that makes no sense

12. gwhizkids thread starter macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

Just for the record: the iPhone event should be Labor Day week, possibly Sept 6th or 7th (if past practice is observed). The next iPhone should be released about 10 days later. iOS 10 will likely be released 2 days prior to the phone going on sale, or about Sept 14. Apple committed during the WWDC keynote to a Public Beta in July. Unless things have gotten massively out of sync, we will see a public beta this month. The question is: when?

13. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

14. TurboPGT! Suspended

Unfortunately Beta 2 has not improved upon Beta 1 in a significant way. It has in many regards, gone backwards. There are undoubtedly new projects are that wide open and causing issues, that hadn't been touched yet in Beta 1.

15. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Apple has stated the public beta will be released in July. When? Probably at the end of the month, not mid September.

16. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Why would they announce the public beta when a week later it launches the GM

17. gwhizkids thread starter macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

We'll know in 1 hr 44 mins. But, hey, who's keeping track ;-)

18. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

How do I go from the developer beta to the public beta?

19. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

Wonder if the WatchOS3 beta profile will work with the public iOS10 beta....

20. gwhizkids thread starter macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

Congrats to the 9 of you who had faith that today would be the day! I was not one of you (being honest here!).

21. nsblum macrumors regular

nsblum

like can you run both iOS 10 and WatchOS 3 at the same time? If that's the case then yes. WatchOS 3 requires iOS 10 according to the notes.

22. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I think he is wondering if the watchos3 developer beta will work the iOS 10 public beta.