When do you think they will drop prices for iPod Touch to match iPhone pricing?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by WizardHunt, Jun 24, 2008.

1. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Hi Everyone.
    When do you think they will drop prices for iPod Touch to match iPhone pricing? Since the iPhone will be $199.00 for entry level of their new iPhone, I would think to make it competitive, that the iPod Touch would go to :
    8GB - $99
    16GB - $149.00
    32GB - $249.00

So would you think that pricing would be around what will happen and Lastly When will it happen? In August? In September?

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Possibly September.

Not before July 11th anyway. Apple's main focus is to sell as many iPhones as possible to as many people as possible by year-end of 08. The only way to do this, in the given market, is to make iPod touch as unattractive to customers as possible physically possible, while still making a mark-up on the product line. This has already begun with the 'nominal' required charges for software upgrades and stock shortages being reported as we creep even closer to the iPhone 3G launch.

Now Apple are saying, why buy an iPod touch for £199, when you can buy an iPhone on face value for £159, £79 on some tariffs, and now FREE from o2 on July 11th.

R-Fly

3. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

You might be right there. In this case it could be end of the year before we see any price changes for the iPod Touch.

4. dmkemick macrumors member

Taking into account the price of other hardware as well as the contract required to get the iPhone at its new price, I'd say they probably won't drop prices. At most they'll do capacity upgrades and, as has already been mentioned, that probably won't happen until September.

5. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Answer: not going to happen.

The iPhone price is subsidized by at&t, the actual price is probably closer to $600. Apple would be losing money if they sold an 8gb iPod touch for $99. Stop dreaming, it is never going to happen. What I could see happening is that the $300 iPod touch becomes 16gb, but maybe not until later this year.

6. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I can't imagine the current price point will change..who would buy a nano, for instance, with a $99 ipod Touch? The lower price of the phone seems to be more of an entry point into the plan rather than reflecting the prices of the ipod line. I wouldn't be surprised to see things starting out at $249 or a capacity bump, but don't hold your breath for a <$100 US Touch.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I agree for the most part, but I foresee a $249 iPod touch by year's end.

8. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

it would be great to see price drops like those to the touch, however realistically it would cripple the sales of every other ipod.. i mean.. a shuffle would end up being like only fifty bucks cheaper. i think what will most likely happen is apple will upgrade the capacities, cut the 8gb, and lower the entry level price to 249.

9. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I suppose you are right. I was just hopeful, but now that I think more about it, I bet it will not happen like I thought it would. :(

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The iPod touch is cheaper than the iPhone.

Buying an 8GB iPod touch will cost me A$399. An 8GB iPhone outright will cost me probably in the order of A$800+ then I have to pay each month (or however I choose on a Pre Pay plan) on top of that. Aside from big feature-adding software updates the iPod touch would have no on-going fees at all.

11. copydeskcat macrumors regular

Prediction time - what will happen to the iPod Touch after 11 July?

Prediction time:

I say on (or just after) 11 July, the 8GB iPod Touch will vanish from the product line, and the price structure will change to:

iPod Touch 16GB: $299
    iPod Touch 32GB: $399

Add your predictions below.

12. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

In the future, Apple will drop the multi-touch interface, buy up a company developing eye tracking technology, and release the iBlink.

iBlink 8TB $299 North American Bucks
    iBlink 16TB $399 North American Bucks

Then they will acquire telepathic technology to allow better control in low-lighting environments.

iThink 8PT $299 Spacebucks
    iThink 16PT $399 Spacebucks

13. copydeskcat macrumors regular

That's not a prediction! That's fact!

14. cakbar macrumors regular

I would agree that this is the most likely scenario, however I think the prices will be $349 for 16GB and $449 for 32GB. I think we will see a 16/32/64GB, $299/$399/$499 price structure when the 64GB becomes available, which I don't expect to happen until early next year.

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It will happen as soon as AT&T sells iPods with a $50 per month contract over 24 months.

16. bluecrow628 macrumors member

bluecrow628

itll probably happen whenever 3g iphones are able to be preordered, im actually surprised that they havnt dropped already, they could be making more business if the price was lower