When does Apple support Direct X 10 and 11?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Sep 22, 2010.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

Linux gets Direct X 10 and 11 support :eek:

There is also Trim support for SSD in Linux, so what is Apple doing these days I wonder.

2. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman

Never going to happen.

It's one of the few remaining ace in the hole's for Microsoft.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Selling shedloads of Macs, iPods, iPhones and iPads, I assume. Plus so many Apple TVs that every other company would call it a huge success, while Apple calls it a hobby :D And writing all the software that helps them selling even bigger loads of Macs, iPods, iPhones and iPads.

So what do you think how much more revenue Apple would make if they added TRIM support to SSD drives (which I think is rather pointless because hybrid drives offer much, much better value for money and and don't need TRIM support), or DirectX (which would be a nightmare to get right without affecting OpenGL in a negative way)?

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You're looking at it from a shareholder's point of view. The OP is asking as a consumer, why Apple's products appear to have limited functionality/missing features compared to other similar products.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

DirectX is proprietary to Microsoft. Apple uses the OpenGL.

6. Hazel macrumors member

Hazel

DirectX is never going to come. It's a Microsoft-specific API.

TRIM support is something different entirely. I don't think it's fair to say that Apple doesn't care about SSDs, as they sell SSDs as an option on most of their computers (note to gnasher729: hybrid hard drives are not offered on any mac except as installed by the user himself). I think it's fair to say that Apple will support TRIM eventually. Just probably not soon enough for any of us.