When does the back to school sale generally start ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davmcn, Apr 2, 2011.

1. davmcn macrumors regular

I've finally decided that I'm going to take a chance and buy a Macbook Pro for school since I want/need one. I just wanted to know if anyone knows when the deal starts and if i remember correctly you get a free iPod right ?

Planning on getting the 2.2ghz w 4gb of ram.

Dave

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. davmcn thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet, soon then.

4. DRGN89 macrumors member

It's a full mail-in-rebate so make sure you have the money to pay for the ipod touch first, then you get your money back through the mail.

5. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Does this deal apply for iMac purchases as well?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes. All Macs except Mac Mini and refurbished Macs have been included in the previous promos.

7. davmcn thread starter macrumors regular

That's annoying. Which iPods does it normally include anyways ? Any iPod you want or just certain models ?

8. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

I think you get the cheapest touch, or a nano.

9. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

If only they'd do a promo with the MBP and iPad (30-50% off or something).

Been thnking of upgrading/replacing this original iPad for a 2 but close toppling the trigger on a new MBP if i can get a deal.

10. davmcn thread starter macrumors regular

I'd be more down for an iPad 2 than a iPod Touch or Nano. When I think about it now, I don't really need an iPod but If I get one for free, I could just sell it.

11. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

When does the back to school promo ends? I would want to wait until Lion is release before getting one.

12. DRGN89 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Usually ends right before the school year starts

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You reckon Lion will be out by Sept?

14. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

Last year was a $200 mail in rebate if you also got any of the current iP** products... so you could get an iPad, iPod, or even iPhone, and an up too $200 mail in rebate depending on the purchase... the only items excluded were the newest iPod Touch that came out the last couple weeks of the deal, and I want to say the iPhone 4 as well (but may well have been included). I got a 15" MBP and iPad myself, then $200 mail in rebate for the iPad... I passed on the "free" printer ($100 mail in rebate) because I already have a solid printer and didn't feel like going through the hassle.

This year, I am getting another 15" MBP, and hoping they run the same deal since I really want an iPad2 given that I sold my iPad (LOVED it, but was too redundant too justify keeping given that I was in the middle of getting married, moving, and paying for my nieces surgery all in the same month and decided keeping my savings account above my "safe" level was a better idea than keeping the iPad, a couple spare phones, etc.)

15. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

Last year it didn't end until after the iPod event, so I want to say late September or early October when it finally ended... looking at past years, that is the norm as well, to end it right around the start of October, plus or minus a week.

16. Fugue macrumors 6502

I am also planning to purchase a 13" i5 with SSD MacBook Pro for college. Would it be possible to get a free iPod Touch, free printer, and the student discount all together? I would sell the iPod and Printer to lower my purchase price a bit.

17. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

My understanding is that you can apply the rebate toward the purchase of the previous year's stock of iPods that is offered for use with the rebate. So you'll be getting a free last-year's-model iPod. Not that that's a bad thing.

Or am I incorrect?

18. sbrashear macrumors newbie

No. It is the current IPod and IPad models. I bought my MBP at the end of August last year, just before the promotion ended and a week before Apple released the new iPod Touch. I had the option to apply the rebate to any iPod or iPad product.

19. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Is the promotion open to anybody? Or just students?

Can you use it at the same time as an edu discount?

20. deartracy macrumors newbie

Last year they let me pay the difference to upgrade to the ipod touch with more memory. The newer ipods came out right after the deal ended and you can't exchange it for the newest model because ultimately they are doing the promotion to get rid of the older models to make room for the newer ones. They will let you choose between the other types of ipods also.

21. autigers1101 macrumors newbie

I was wondering the same thing a couple of other posters were. Does the free iPod and hopefully free printer negate the $100 education discount or do you still get that? Thanks!

22. vader_slri macrumors regular

Education discount applies in addition to the free (after rebate) iPod and printer.

23. vader_slri macrumors regular

Are you sure about the iPad being part of the promo last year? For reference, here is the fine print directly from Apple:

http://images.apple.com/promo/pdf/BackToSchool_TermsConditions_US_2010.pdf

24. leman macrumors 604

No, you still get the edu discount.

And if you buy via Apple on Campus, you can actually get some money back... Few years ago I have bought a MacBook + printer with the 100€ printer rebate promo. I payed about 80€ for the base printer (which usually costs 100€) and Apple reimbursed me with 100€... so I actually made a win of 20€ on that one. I suppose it was a bug though :)

25. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Just to make sure...If I want to buy the 2.2GHz 15" MacBook Pro and am a college student...will I get $200 off the MacBook like I do now and also get a free iPod Touch when I purchase both together or will I pay full price for the MacBook and just receive the free iPod touch?

If the latter is the case, there is really no point in me waiting to buy since I won't be able to sell the iPod for more than $200 anyway.

Thanks.