When exactly do the fans kick in?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hat7, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Hat7 macrumors newbie

I'm sick of using smcFanControl. I'd prefer automation, but OS X just doesn't seem to care about how hot my laptop is running. I've seen my CPU and GPU shoot up to temps around +80˚ Celsius, and the fans stay at 2000 rpm. Does my processor need to melt first before the fans start working? What the hell is the deal?? When exactly do the fans actually start running above 2000 rpm?? Did that software update actually do anything? No. Try rendering HD video in FCP, and watch the fans go NOWHERE while your processor temp goes off the charts!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

80 Celsius is very close to normal operating temperature. If you were around 100 without faster fans, that would be a problem, but I don't see the issue here.

3. Hat7 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, we know. Trust us. :confused: Go ahead and think it will melt and spend the next five years using it to its fullest. :cool:

5. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

If I'm ever rendering or encoding video I'll just let it sit with SMC fan control on high. I've seen my temps hit 200+ F with no response from the fans, they seem to kick in with prolonged high-temp runs. Macs just seem to run a little on the hot side.

6. rich2k4 macrumors regular

i think people get too paranoid with this stuff. That's why i'm not even gonna bother installing istat.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I can understand SMCFanControl but iStat?

8. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

I never understood people that live their lives by SMCFan control. Seriously people, the system will take care of it! It's like running Norton AntiVirus on OSX.... Let it go!

9. rich2k4 macrumors regular

istat would make you look at your computer temperatures and become paranoid that you need smcfancontrol

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Disable the temperature section in iStat.

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

There actually is a legit reason to run SMCFanControl, but paranoia isn't it.

In my case, I like to use my 17" on my lap. It gets hot. I want it to be as cool as possible, so my legs sweat less, and I'm willing to sacrifice some additional noise to that end. Thus, I use SMCFC to set the fans to a moderately high baseline level and ramp up somewhat more quickly than they normally would. Bottom side of the MBP is cooler than with the default settings, and my legs are happier.

There you have it, acceptable reason to use it. I have no delusions whatsoever that it's necessary, though, and I can't say I'd encourage its use for any other reason.