When in November will unlocked 4S be available?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Virgo, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

The apple store says coming in November... November 1st? I'll be anxious if I have to deal with that sign until like Nov 25th or something... [I'm with cursed T-Mobile].

2. techguy20 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat looking for an unlocked one.

Try checking eBay since they are selling unlocked phones already in Canada and other countries.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can buy one right now at the Apple Store; tell them you want to buy it device only (no contract) and when you connect to iTunes to activate it will tell you it's been unlocked. No need to wait until November.

[​IMG]

4. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

5. benck macrumors newbie

How do you know that it's 11/17. Someone in Yahoo! Answers said that it's 11/3.

"They come on out November 3rd! They'll be available at all Apple stores, Targets, and CVS locations. Apple unlocks them at the factory so you don't have to. You want run it on Boost, Metro PCS, and even Cingular Wireless!"

6. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Did you read the above post. They are available right now at the apple store. You just go in and thell them you want an off contract 4S and when you connect it to iTunes it is unlocked. I read about this last week some time. Check it out.

7. icanhasiphone? macrumors regular

I hope its before November 21!
    I tried to buy an 'off contract' iPhone4S today at both of the apple stores I went to and they wouldn't let me, they said you had to prove you had an AT&T account before you can buy. I ended up buying a regular 8GB unlocked iPhone4 and plan on returning it for an unlocked 4S when they come out.

8. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I gave them my at&t info and came home with an unlocked iPhone. The system bypasses activation when you pay full price even though the associate will tell you it's locked.

9. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

AT&T store or Apple Store ?

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Thanks to AT&T mine was unlocked with one phone call @ no charge. Considering I only paid $199, it was a very good deal. But then again all my phones from AT&T are unlocked. It's just another reason I buy my iPhones from AT&T. Fast, inexpensive, and a free unlock. Terrific customer service every time :)

11. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

:)
    AT&T unlock iPhones these days?? :D

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Since when did AT&T unlock iPhones?

13. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Apple Store. bought two phones for the family at different Apple stores. Provided AT&T info both times, was told the phones are locked. Both are unlocked and got the messagein iTunes.

14. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

So for someone like me, who doesn't have an AT&T account at all, I could not do this?

15. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

It's worth a try asking if they will sell you the off contract version.

16. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

November 30th - that is the last day in November :) :D :D :D

17. Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

I believe that this was said before?

You can go into an Apple Store and buy an iPhone 4S without contract and at full Price. When you do that, your phone is not locked to AT&T!

18. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thats true !

19. dave006 macrumors 68020

AT&T don't currently unlock any iPhone. They have had this policy since the original iPhone which did not even have a subsidy to justify the lock. :mad:

The previous poster is wrong or just trying to have a little fun since they added a :) at the end of their post. :(

Dave

20. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I'm going nuts waiting for it, I really hope it comes out on the 1st! :D

Unfortunately I'm locked on my mom's plan on T-Mobile. Currently using a myTouch 3G. Apple, help! Let me give you my $849! :p

21. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I guess you're not reading the other posts above yours. It has been stated several times if you buy a full priced version it will be unlocked. Hooked on phonics worked for me. www.hookedonphonics.com

22. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Don't count on it. Carrier locked phones can easily be locked by the carrier simply by entering the IMEI number in their database. The fact that they have not done so with some of the 4,000,000 phones shipped to date could easily be system related and not policy.

Your full price no contract AT&T phone may easily lock itself to the network one day...

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The policy on 'unlocked' phones has been so random that I believe Apple is low on phones and trying to only sell contract phones or to people who have existing accounts with ATT, Verizon, Sprint, etc.

IF they decide to lock the phones in the future, you can be sure that there will be a massive revolt. I really don't think they'll do that. Now that Apple is selling iPhones to the 3 largest US carriers, they have no incentive to prevent its use on smaller carriers. Apple will not lock the phones, there's no reason to and I think enough Americans are realizing that they pay more and get less than almost any other major cell phone market in the world.

The problem lies in the launching. This time was better because the major markets were included with the US, but Apple really needs to launch it globally so as to discourage people from buying them in the US and selling them in the second and third tier launch countries.

24. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I think you got part of that right, but only the part that says Apple had to ship unlocked phones to meet the demand and simply did not have the time to configure pre-locked phones for each carrier after the initial shipments.

Where I disagree is that you think Apple controls whether or not AT&T will lock their phones in the future. They do not. AT&T controls that completely, and they received an exemption in court that allows them to keep iPhones locked even after the contract is paid in full.

I cannot imagine them knowingly revoking that right, and every AT&T phone purchase includes an agreement that says you will ONLY use that phone on AT&Ts network, full contract or not.

Until Apple starts selling factory unlocked phones listed as such, any other purchase is at risk of a carrier lock being applied - revolt or not.

25. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I'm waiting for Apple's officially unlocked version because I'm not taking the chance for AT&T to re-lock my $849 device. Plus, even if I wanted to buy one, the stores around me have told me that they won't sell them to people without AT&T accounts.
    Is that okay with you, or will you continue to be unnecessarily condescending?