When iOS 5 releases, better to start fresh or restore from backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xystence, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Xystence macrumors regular

I know a lot of people always start fresh, but I honestly do not want to lose my game progress and things of that nature. So whats the best way to go about this? What are the advantages of starting fresh? or not?

Thank you for your time!

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I always start fresh. I like a clean slate with no clutter. Too many times I see people hoarding apps on their phone like a disease ;)

3. musika macrumors 65816

musika

I agree x10000.

4. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

5. Xystence thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, I have a ton of games but they no longer fit on my 32GB, so I have become more accustom to deleting them when I am not playing them. I just like having a backup of the ones I've purchased in case they aren't available to download for whatever reason later

----------

Now do you all start fresh every time a new version comes out, or just at the bigger releases?

Would seem kind of annoying lol

Would also be nice if games could just save the save files of games to the cloud, then I would never have an issue with space lol

6. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

EXactaMundo

7. Xystence thread starter macrumors regular

And how do you all feel about over the air updates vs reinstalling?

8. MustangJoe macrumors member

So for someone that has all the levels in Angry Birds 3 stared it wouldn't be good to start fresh because I will lose my data right? Off topic I'm going to be getting an iPhone 5 and I'm wondering how I will get my data that's on my 4th gen iPod Touch to the iPhone? Do I just click on backup instead of set as new idevise? Will iTunes still recognize it as an iPhone? Thanks!

9. Xystence thread starter macrumors regular

Ya thats a debate with me right now, I have all of the cut the rope games completely finished and such. Yes you can restore your iPod backup to iPhone, it'll show up in the list by date and time.

10. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Agreed completely.

I can't wait, brand new iOS 5, on the brand new iPhone 5. This is very exciting.

Unfortunately i'll lose all my saved games, but it's a small price to pay for overall productivity.

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

so starting fresh is a good idea then? how come restoring is an issue? is it just for games e.t.c?

12. Helmsy67 macrumors member

if you start fresh will you lose your contacts?

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Not if you have a halfway decent mail provider like gmail, MobileMe, an exchange server, or synchronized with your PC...

14. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I always restore from the backup that iTunes makes right before it updates.
    Call me old fashioned, but I love having my old text messages to family/friends in my messages app. Believe it or not, but I still have some of the texts from over 2 years ago when I got my 3GS! Plus, the photos in the Camera Roll. Having the apps back on the iPhone is really nice too. I like the organization of the folders I have now, and would hate to have it be deleted.

Full back-ups/restores/sync is one of the major reasons I'm sticking with iPhone!

15. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I agree. I have been restoring from backup due to some things on the phone that will be lost and can't be put back exactly how it was. I've had the iPhone since the 2G and I now have the 4. Each iOS upgrade was done from backup, never a clean install.

16. Xystence thread starter macrumors regular

Have you ever had issues with the phone doing that? Have you ever gone to beta versions and not had an issue etc? I am interested to see if it really matters

17. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Never had an issue with my except for hardware but none were software related. As far as beta, I'm not dev so I haven't.

It's up to you if you want. I know I was hesitant at first since I had the mindset of everyone in this thread. However, I just restored from backup since the iPhone I was replacing it had no issues. If you have issues, then they may just carry over. Try backup first, see if you have any issues.

18. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

19. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Hopefully as iCloud stuff becomes more prevalent, this will become less of an issue. I know going forward that game developers will be able to store their game data on iCloud. This should make it so that if you do actually have to restore fresh, that the precious Angry Birds or PvZ data will be safe.

20. Damian. macrumors regular

I always start fresh on x.0.0 releases. On 0.x.x I just use a backup.

21. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Why wouldn't it from backup?

do you lose all your current music then from starting up from fresh? same with e-mail details?

22. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

As other said, start afresh.

For x.x.1 builds, I'll auto update, but for x.1.x and 1.x.x I will always do a fresh install.

23. Xystence thread starter macrumors regular

I see the good side of both ways. I just really do not feel like setting anything up. As a test today. I set up iOS 5 Beta 7 as all new, used it all day to get a feel for it. Then I reset and loaded my backup fom iOS 4. To be honest the only difference I saw was that I did not have to redo all my settings and what not. Everything else felt the same.

24. MustangJoe macrumors member

Well for me I don't think I will. Does it really make the iPhone or iPod Touch run better? Also where can you find past backups on iTunes?

25. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Think I will do it from back-up...don't see it making a difference starting from fresh and i don't feel like going through all my settings and doing them all again either.