When iPad 2 arrives, what to do first?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jman800, Feb 16, 2011.

1. jman800 macrumors regular

I have never owned an iPad before, and I plan to when the iPad 2 is released. What are the first things I should get when I purchase the device?

Apps, cases, stands, docks...etc..

2. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

I would suggest a case. I don't have an iPad yet as I'm waiting for the iPad 2 but I sat next to someone with an iPad in the airplane and the guy had a nice case/stand for it that seemed very useful. It seemed nice to be able to read with the iPad standing at an angle than laying flat.

3. Liberal macrumors member

Oh, I love this. I'm so excited to get mine. So excited, in fact, I've already downloaded like 15 apps. I'm terrible. :D They were having big sales after Christmas and I had gift cards and I just couldn't help myself!

I'm definitely getting a case that doubles as a propping mechanism (like the Apple case) day one. Perhaps a screen protector after that, but with the case, I don't see much use. I'll wait on all other accessories to see what my needs are. :apple:

4. jman800 thread starter macrumors regular

I never thought of the option of pre-downloading apps via iTunes.. haha great idea. Which Apps have you bought?

I would love to hear top App's from iPad vets :)

5. deeddawg, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

First thing is figure out what you're going to be doing with it since that then tends to govern the other stuff.

Maybe get a screen protector and a case if those are important to you.

Then I'd say PUT YOUR WALLET AWAY and simply use the ipad a while before buying more accessories or any apps outside of ones you already know you will use lots. Pick up an app if there's a specific need not addressed with anything you already have.

After you've settled in with it you'll have a better picture of your needs; and you'll have spent a lot less along the way. :)

As for docks though -- few Apple products seem to work with a dock with a case on. So unless you're going to use your ipad without a case (or take it out every time you use the dock) I'd skip it.

What are you planning to use the ipad for?

I'd google about apps -- there's so many "top must-have ipad apps" lists that recreating it here is kind of superfluous.

There's even an entire sub-forum devoted to iPad Apps: http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=144

6. EazyWeazy3 macrumors 6502

Open it up. Sync. Then start looking for a case if you're not going the nude route.

7. jman800 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats true, the dock and case issue would get annoying. I would mainly use it for entertainment, Wi-fi only, and max storage.

Thanks for the link to the Apps :)

8. Liberal macrumors member

Mostly games plus other freebies. ABC Player, Boggle, CNN, Dictionary.com, Engadget, Flipboard, FruitNinja, Jenga, NYTimes, Penultimate, Pictureka!, The Price is Right, Scrabble, Snood, Tetris, TweetDeck, The Weather Channel, Words with Friends, and all the iPhone apps I have that are iPad compatible.

And I think with all the sales I only spent about $15 for all the ones that cost money, most of the games were on sale for $0.99 after Christmas.

I got Words with Friends (awesome game) the other day for $0.99, the sale is still going on, down from $2.99!

I periodically check AppShopper to see when iPad apps get reduced and snap 'em up.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Did the same thing, got a lot of the EA games at .99 a piece! Great deal!

10. Evmanw macrumors regular

Evmanw

LOL! Me 2!!! I can't wait any longer for the iPad 2 to come out!!! I will also get the daily... see if I like it after the 2 week trial. Go :apple:!

11. jman800 thread starter macrumors regular

I remeber reading about the EA .99 cent sale, but never picked up on it :( Huge mistake I guess, and the words with friends, thanks for the mention I just got it :) Any others ?

12. HA5TY, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  13. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I would grab a case first. The Apple case is my favorite, not too expensive and has a very comfortable position for when viewing on your lap. It's not that fun to hold the iPad in your hand for too long. it's not heavy but your hand will get tired.

Beyond that, just download free apps and look through some threads of top app choices. If you check out a few threads, you will quickly notice the must haves.

14. jman800 thread starter macrumors regular

I remember seeing these type of threads for the new iPod Touch, so I had to make one similar :)

And the apple case, I believe its 30 extra, is on my buy list. It looks like it will help out in numerous situations!

15. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

No harm in grabbing some apps while you wait. Check appshopper & appadvice to see if anything you like goes on sale. I've been buying universal apps to use now on my iphone and ready to put on my future ipad.

16. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

Lmao, I'm right where you are.

I got 30 iPad apps, and 28 Apps for iPhone/iPod/iPad, but still no iPad yet, lol.

I've been wanting this for over a year, and I even started my iPad Fund. Saving $50 from every pay check until my birthday in July when I get it. :D

17. jman800 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm also saving money each paycheck, funds up to 450 now :)

Minimum wage job. -_- Still in school.

18. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Case it and get a screen protector.

Let everyone in your house know that it is YOUR iPad, Not theirs.

Caress it. Kiss it,

Then Pray to god u don't leave it on top of your car when you back out of the driveway.

19. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I'd definitely check out AppShopper, they list all of the recent price reductions for iPad (and iPhone) Apps. If you sign up with them you can also get alerts when Apps you're interested in get reduced in price.

I'd also agree with everyone else who suggested getting a case. I've got an Apple case and feature I like the most is that it raises the keyboard up slightly. I find it a lot easier to type like this then if the iPad is flat on my lap or a table.

20. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

is there an app for that?

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yeah, Safari. :D

22. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

23. lizcat68 macrumors newbie

lizcat68

Same. Except I'm still a teenager, and I can't start my job until March... XD So, I'm just saving all my money up from stuff like Christmas. And, of course, the money I usually spend on iTunes. :) I can't wait to get an iPad!!!

24. 7thMac macrumors 6502

If you don't know what to do then seriously consider waiting (i.e, doing nothing). Explore other things outside of the Apple system and diversify your experience. You already have plenty of Apple stuff.

25. officelurker macrumors member

So is it best to wait for the iPad 2? Is there a release date scheduled? And it is going to be that much better than the current iPad?

I am thinking of buying one for my wife but I am contemplating whether I should buy the current iPad or wait for the iPad2.