When is 3.1 update official

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atljogger, Jul 22, 2009.

1. atljogger macrumors member

Any ideas when the 3.1 update be officially released? How long does it typically take for a jailbreak to be created once that happens?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

When you see it in iTunes.

No one knows how long a jailbreak will take.

3. atljogger thread starter macrumors member

I hope the 3.1 jailbreak will get tethering working again on AT&T (assuming rumors that 3.1 will disable tethering hack). That is one of the biggest reasons I need an Iphone.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

So your biggest reason for needing an iphone is a feature that it doesn't have? Sounds like you made a poor purchase. You could have bought a different, cheaper phone and legally used tethering.

5. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

6. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

No one knows for sure, it all depends on whenever Apple decides to release 3.1.

Keep an iTunes and you'll find out soon enough.

7. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

lol no

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

9. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Well that's what people deserve when they asked questions like that. No one knows!

10. The General macrumors 601

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/tethering.html

Also, link me to a federal or state law saying that tethering on an iPhone through AT&T is illegal.

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

It is a breach of contract through AT&T. I'm not going to find a link for you because I have a life and it is common sense, which is why you have to hack it to enable it.

12. The General macrumors 601

Link me to a law saying that breach of contract with AT&T is specifically forbidden by law. What would my conviction be of in a court of law and what would my consequence be?

13. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I'm a developer, and the answer is:

when it's ready :apple:

14. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Your conviction would be being sent back to elementary school to learn how to read because I already said I don't have the time to find a link to something so stupid and obvious. They wouldn't take you to court over it, they would just cancel your contract.

Do you have common sense? If AT&T was ok with it then why would they have it disabled? They just want to have some fun and see who can figure out how to enable it?

So in the end your consequence would just be that you can no longer be on AT&T and therefore can stop breaking their rules.

15. atljogger thread starter macrumors member

Sweet. I will plan on staying home from work

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can trust akonradi, he knows these things. ;)

Nice to see the OP can take a joke.

17. The General macrumors 601

No, I really want to know. Which law am I breaking?

I'm not disputing the fact that it's forbidden by my contract. I'm disputing this whole "tethering is illegal" thing. It isn't. It's just minor breach of contract.

AT&T doesn't make laws. Breaking an AT&T rule is NOT illegal. Stop calling it that.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

I think you should stop poking the bear. The bottom line and semantics aside - ATT does not offer a tethering plan for the iPhone yet. And when they do, there's a good chance it will be an additional fee. Using a hack goes against their TOS and can result in the cancellation of your account or huge fees.

19. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I'm done wasting my time posting to you. You remind me of my girlfriend back in early high school. You hear one word (illegal) that upsets you and no matter how I justify it and explain myself what I meant, you still keep hearing that one word and ignore everything else that's being said. Good luck to you.

20. PatrickRolfsen macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

to OP:

it came out yesterday. i dloaded it from the palm pre store :p

21. The General macrumors 601

It's just irritating when these sheep post this nonsense about jailbreaking, unlocking and tethering being "illegal." I just want to know which law I'm breaking. Really, that's all I want to know.

Here's how you justify things being illegal...

Speeding is illegal:
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22350.htm

Murder is illegal:
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=00001-01000&file=187-199

Now, which law am I breaking?

22. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Yeesh, calm down. General's just trying to state that it's a breach of contract with AT&T, not a breach of state or federal law.

Back to the main topic.

23. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

There is no law specifically stating that tethering an iphone on AT&T is illegal. I figured by everything else I was saying I made that clear, but maybe you need exact words. You would be violating the TOS in the contract that you signed. If taken to court, you could be punished (money, not jail time <----READ), for breaching a contract. Now this would most likely never happen, but technically it is possible if you ticked off AT&T as much as you tick me off. Now can you please go on with your life.

24. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Congrats on agreeing with The General.

25. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Law, is a generic term, but it does have a stem in:

binding or enforceable rule: a rule of conduct or procedure recognized by a community as binding or enforceable