Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xMBPx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
I got a new mbp in December 2010 and just a few weeks ago I had to bring it in because of camera issues. They discovered it was a hardware issue and said they would replace the display and logic board to fix it. I got it back, and they said the new display fixed the problem so they didn't replace the logic board.

Well, ever since I got it back I had been having problems with my mouse connecting, and the airport messing up, so I took it back a few days ago after airport stopped working completely. The guy told me it wasnt a hardware issue so he changed the network location and prompted me to do an archive and install. I did that, and it still didn't solve the problem. In fact, it told me I had 400 hours worth of updates to install. But the airport cut off and that didn't happen needless to say.

I took it back in and explained the problem and they said they would install a new airport card. They did this, handed it back and it now says no airport disk installed. So I gave it back to them at the store before I left and they said they would replace the display again, and install a new airport card at the same time, which is what I'm waiting on right now.

As of now, in the past three weeks theyve done over $1000 of repairs to my mbp, and it is still having issues as you can tell. So my question is when would it be out of line to ask them to replace the machine? Prior to bringing it in there was no cosmetic issues what so ever, so Its not like i'm trying to look for a free hand out to repair a cosmetic defect. I just feel the repairs are getting out of hand and affecting the value of my machine.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There is no legal obligation. They have in the past given customers a new machine that had frequent problems but there isn't a specific formula or metric that would trigger such an event.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
They can fix it as long as they want. They’re under no obligation to give you a new one. However, they probably want you to be a repeat customer, so there is a chance they might give you a new one to make you happy with all the repairs you’ve had. It doesn’t hurt to ask.

xMBPx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
I don't really mean obligated, I just mean when would it be a reasonable request to ask for a replacement without looking like a snob...

brandon8u

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2009
My House
I would check one last time. After getting it back and if you still have problems go directly to the store or call them a demand a new one (only if they still sell your exact model and specs). Tell them you have wasted countless hours and gas going back and forth and on troubleshooting. Seriously, you will look like a bad customer, but taking the Mac back and forth is wasting your time. If they refuse to replace it (only if it's still broken) ask for a supervisor and tell them about the whole situation and how it's still under warranty. However, If Apple doesn't sell your specific computer configuration that might be why they are not replacing it.

I would rather be their bad customer rather than having them fix my computer every so often.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
3 major faults. Even then you'd have to take it up with the higher ups.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
They can fix it as long as they want. They’re under no obligation to give you a new one. However, they probably want you to be a repeat customer, so there is a chance they might give you a new one to make you happy with all the repairs you’ve had. It doesn’t hurt to ask.

But if they fix it, gets broken, fixed, broken all the time you basically have no computer for a month. Isn't there a law to protect customers from that kind of situation? And if not a law, an apple policy? It's ok to repair once or twice but 3-4 times IN A ROW, I say it's unacceptable.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
The warranty says that Apple will repair or replace, at its sole option, a defective item. At some point, the appropriate manager is likely to say just replace it if it is a current or near-current version.

Legally, at least in the US, Apple can repair it effectively forever--there is not a legal requirement to the contrary.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
False. Read up on the lemon law.

The law you vaguely refer to are a collection of state laws that deal with motor vehicles, not consumer electronics. If you're aware of a section of United States Code that specifically addresses consumer electronics, aside from the Magnuson-Moss Act, 15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq., please provide a citation.

So my question is when would it be out of line to ask them to replace the machine?

OP: I would suggest talking to the store manager and politely asking for a replacement. If he refuses, contact a supervisor at Applecare and request replacement. From what you have posted, I would think there would be no problem replacing it given the time you have had to spend. Just be polite, and I think you have a good chance.

Last edited:

Kuray

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010
There was gap in my screen and it acts like no AirPort card.

Last Sunday I gave my MBP 2009 15" to the genius bar. And Yesterday, turnaround time which is 7 days is over. I called them that turnaround time is over and I want my computer because I have flight tomorrow. Then they said that someone will fix it by the night.

I went to the Apple Store, I picked it up. Wow, there were black things at the bottom of replaced screen and still Airport issue. They said that because it is kind of emergency they couldn't fix it well.

I waited more than 2 hours in Apple Store. Finally they offered me to give new one. I was very happy because whether it is fixed or not, I was planning to buy 2011 one.

They gave me brand new 2011 MacBook Pro. There was no box but there was plastic stuff, just like bought in original.

I checked from Apple Warranty site, MBP was registered yesterday and Warranty finishes in June 28, 2012, BUT When I check from coconut battery, it says Age of your Mac: 6 weeks.

Maybe it is refurbished but it is well clean and really good.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I would ask to speak to a manager and ask for a replacement. You are not being snobby or overly demanding if you do this considering the number of times you have had it in there. It sounds like you have been without your laptop more than you've had it, I'd be fightin' mad!

For those of you who are staying to check lemon laws, not all states have them. Saying that the law in the Unites States is such and such is a complete inaccurate statement because laws are set by the individual states in many areas, and lemon law is one of those areas. Don't try to give someone legal advice unless you're a lawyer, it's called practicing law without a license and is actually a felony in some states.

Ach111es

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
It would make sense for them to give you a new one before they end up spending more on repairs than what laptop costs for them to manufacture and then profit from sale.

If you say 1000 in repairs, I'm suprised they haven't replaced that lemon.

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006
The law you vaguely refer to are a collection of state laws that deal with motor vehicles, not consumer electronics. If you're aware of a section of United States Code that specifically addresses consumer electronics, aside from the Magnuson-Moss Act, 15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq., please provide a citation.
Again, false.

California Lemon Law CIVIL CODE
SECTION 1791-1791.3

"Home electronic product" means any television, radio, antenna rotator, audio or video recorder or playback equipment, video camera, video game, video monitor, computer equipment, telephone, telecommunications equipment, electronic alarm system, electronic appliance control system, or other kind of electronic product, if it is normally used or sold for personal, family, or household purposes. The term includes any electronic accessory that is normally used or sold with a home electronic product for one of those purposes. The term excludes any single product with a wholesale price to the retail seller of less than fifty dollars ($50).

Happy?

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006
For those of you who are staying to check lemon laws, not all states have them. Saying that the law in the Unites States is such and such is a complete inaccurate statement because laws are set by the individual states in many areas, and lemon law is one of those areas. Don't try to give someone legal advice unless you're a lawyer, it's called practicing law without a license and is actually a felony in some states.

If this was directed at me...that is exactly why I provided a link to each states lemon law - the OP didn't state which state he was in.

And as far as the lawyer thing - give me a break. Offering a link to check state statutes hardly constitutes giving legal advice. :rolleyes:

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece

I don't think "just giving legal advice" counts as a felony...? I mean he never said "I'm a lawyer listen to me" or got paid. He just gave an opinion , a thought. Is that illegal? Well, maybe in China, but I don't think in the US.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
It's a hard law to enforce, obviously, but posting something like that on an open internet forum could give the impression to someone that they were an attorney or at the very least a paralegal and that they know what they're talking about. I did also say in many states. Not all states, but many, practicing law without a license is actually a crime. In North Carolina it is a Class 1 misdemeanor, not a felony, so I did mistype there. If you really want to know more, look at NCGS § 84 et seq.

I didn't click on the link that was posted as I know that my state is a no lemon law state unless you're are dealing with motor vehicles, and even in that case it's very limited. Of course, I am also a legal professional (a paralegal, not an attorney) and have had it constantly beat into my brain that just because I know the answer doesn't mean that I can give it to a client. Anyway, this has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question. Hopefully, he has gone to the store and asked to speak to a supervisor. If he feels like his consumer rights have been violated, then he needs to research exactly what his rights are in HIS STATE!

RoyalFlushAK(s)

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
I would ask to speak to a manager and ask for a replacement. You are not being snobby or overly demanding if you do this considering the number of times you have had it in there. It sounds like you have been without your laptop more than you've had it, I'd be fightin' mad!

OMG
... and if you do that they may put you in jail and take your MBP away from you.., lol, lol, lol.....

RFlush

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Again, false.

California Lemon Law CIVIL CODE
SECTION 1791-1791.3

"Home electronic product" means any television, radio, antenna rotator, audio or video recorder or playback equipment, video camera, video game, video monitor, computer equipment, telephone, telecommunications equipment, electronic alarm system, electronic appliance control system, or other kind of electronic product, if it is normally used or sold for personal, family, or household purposes. The term includes any electronic accessory that is normally used or sold with a home electronic product for one of those purposes. The term excludes any single product with a wholesale price to the retail seller of less than fifty dollars ($50).

Happy?

Fail.

You DO understand the difference between United States Code and California state law?

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006
Fail.

You DO understand the difference between United States Code and California state law?

Are you being a troll or what? I'm giving good advice for the OP to work with.

Yes, I do understand that there is a difference between the two. YOU said the lemon law (in general) doesn't cover anything but cars. I simply showed that you were incorrect and that, in my state, the lemon law covers computers. Do you still not realize that I posted a link for the OP so he can click whatever state he lives in (since he didn't supply this) to find out how the lemon law may apply to him? You were wrong, why don't you just man up and stop digging yourself a deeper hole?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.