Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I really want to purchase a 5K iMac and will max it out with what ever upgrade options are available but if i am to do this i want to make sure i'm not buying it only to hear a new better model arrives for the same sort of money only a month down the line. I know iPhone has a new model every year in September but i am not familiar with the turn over on iMac machines, some people say it will see an update this October but i'd like some user feedback if this information is accurate or if any one can advise me on this?

Reactions: The Doctor11

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I think you'll get new iMacs in october the annoncement will concentrate on the 21 inch due to the 4K screen it is almost undoubtedly getting.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I'm just not wanting to put so much money into a machine that gets a new upgraded model within a few weeks of me buying one. I'd cry if this happened hahaha

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I wouldn't have thought there would be a major update for the 5k iMac would there?

I can't see it but it would still niggle at me if there was even minor upgrades.

This is gonna have have to last me a while if I'm putting the £££ into it

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
Maybe be on the safe side wait until October (if you can) then decide from there IF the updates are worth it.

I'm in no big panic tbh, I'm still working off a MBP early 2013 edition which actually needs a visit to the Apple Store as has an issue that needs sorted.

I'll definitely hold out to see what happens then and I might get a nice wee unexpected surprise

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
I'm in no big panic tbh, I'm still working off a MBP early 2013 edition which actually needs a visit to the Apple Store as has an issue that needs sorted.

I'll definitely hold out to see what happens then and I might get a nice wee unexpected surprise

Oddly enough your in the same position as me, I have a 2012 MBP love it bit slow in these days but I can hold out. Which come the end of the year Oct/Nov time I'll be upgrading to the 5k iMac!

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I wouldn't have thought there would be a major update for the 5k iMac would there?

I guess it depends on what you mean by major. I expect an update with the new Skylake CPU along with the faster memory, disks, and next generation USB that it supports. I'd definitely hold off if you can.

AlifTheUnseen

macrumors regular
May 17, 2014
Huh? Why would there not be? Probably not an aesthetic change but at the very least new processor and specs
- I HOPE for an aesthetic change, in order to improve the crappy thermal properties of the ultra-thinny-edges-case to a level which doesn't require thermal throttling of the MOBILE parts in this desktop computer…
- And I hope the RiMac V2 has a connector to be used as an external screen… would ensure this to be my last all-in-one desktop…
- and, of course, fusion drive standard in any configuration, if you don't mind, Tim?

The release time largely depends on the as-of-today unknown release schedule of large quantities of the Skylakers… so, might be fall, might be winter…

And, lastly, wasn't there a buyersguide somewhere? Ah, here: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#Mac

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
- I HOPE for an aesthetic change, in order to improve the crappy thermal properties of the ultra-thinny-edges-case to a level which doesn't require thermal throttling of the MOBILE parts in this desktop computer…

It is actually a good design from a thermal perspective with the entire back acting to dissipate heat. I'm using a 27" late-2013 iMac and play demanding games on it but never run into issues with heat unlike the mid-2011 iMac this one replaced under Applecare. I've found performance to be quite good for the GPU in the games I'm playing, currently Max Payne 3 at 1440p and high settings across the board. It's running consistently around 60 fps and very smooth. Considering this is a cider port that is especially good in my opinion. I don't think the GPU is throttled on iMacs the way it may be on portables as power draw isn't the same issue which is what that is normally used for, there isn't any need.

I monitor component temps constantly with the Temperature Gauge 4.1 app and they never get too close to upper tolerances on this system. Meantime, performance is not suffering either under demand. So I don't think there is a real problem with the design personally. At least, I am not seeing it at all here. This system runs great and I could not be more happy with it for now.

I really like the all in one design. I just buy into Applecare and anything beyond three years is a bonus until it is upgrade time again. That's just my own take.

Back on topic, without a pressing need to get the new iMac I would absolutely wait on the next refresh. Why not? I would expect component upgrades in a number of key areas that would make this more than a little worthwhile.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It is actually a good design from a thermal perspective with the entire back acting to dissipate heat. I'm using a 27" late-2013 iMac and play demanding games on it but never run into issues with heat unlike the mid-2011 iMac this one replaced under Applecare. I've found performance to be quite good for the GPU in the games I'm playing, currently Max Payne 3 at 1440p and high settings across the board. It's running consistently around 60 fps and very smooth. Considering this is a cider port that is especially good in my opinion. I don't think the GPU is throttled on iMacs the way it may be on portables as power draw isn't the same issue which is what that is normally used for, there isn't any need.

I monitor component temps constantly with the Temperature Gauge 4.1 app and they never get too close to upper tolerances on this system. Meantime, performance is not suffering either under demand. So I don't think there is a real problem with the design personally. At least, I am not seeing it at all here. This system runs great and I could not be more happy with it for now.

I really like the all in one design. I just buy into Applecare and anything beyond three years is a bonus until it is upgrade time again. That's just my own take.

Back on topic, without a pressing need to get the new iMac I would absolutely wait on the next refresh. Why not? I would expect component upgrades in a number of key areas that would make this more than a little worthwhile.

It's not a very good design for the more demanding hardware of the 5K. My 2013 runs great too. With demanding games the fan rarely revs up.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
It's not a very good design for the more demanding hardware of the 5K. My 2013 runs great too. With demanding games the fan rarely revs up.

I doubt your hardware is generating more heat overall and I know it is staying within tolerances or else you would be telling us about how you are losing video signal due to the GPU shutting down to protect itself as one example. That's not happening though, is it? The system would shut down if the CPU reached an out of spec temp to protect itself. Is this happening to your system?

So what exactly is the thermal problem?

If hardware is kept within tolerances there is no problem and if a given design is not problematic which is true of the newer iMacs I don't think there is any issue. A lot of people seem to become alarmed when the fans spin up. The fans exist and spin up for a reason. It is not a bad thing when they spin up to control temps. They are just doing what they are put in there for by design, a design I maintain is working well. It is also not a problem when the back external surface of an iMac gets hot. It is supposed to. It is dissipating heat just as it was designed to do.

What are the highest temps your system is reaching for CPU and GPU? What are the average temps over say a 24 hour period of time? Are they outside spec? I cannot imagine they ever are. They cannot be that high or again, you'd be pointing out how the system is shutting down to prevent itself from melting. So there is no problem, including if your fans happen to be spinning up doing their job.

Squirkytunkle

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2014
I'm interested in this as i'm holding off upgrading my 2009 iMac here. I presumed the Skylake chips were revealed, and were to be released soon- is this not the case?

As i see it, the only 27 inch iMac released this year is a low end 5k model. I'm really hoping that Apple follow their autumn release schedule which they seem to have being doing for quite some time. Clearly however, I suppose it's only Apple who know for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.