Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
The m295x is capable of exceeding the cooling capacity of the design inherent to the iMac.

It's important to note I said in the iMac, because the m295x isn't an issue in the AW15.

Blaming AMD for not making a GPU that can do 4x the amount of work meanwhile not require any additional cooling is just silly. Sure in the future we'll see it and we already see some good things entering the market but we need to be realistic. I think it's impressive what they were able to accomplish, just not the best idea cramming it into an old case design that was made for 1440p screen. Even the original 1440p tech couldn't work in the current design and had a multi fan set up.

What is an AW15?

1440p works just fine. Since when is needing fans considered a poor design? My iMac is very quiet even under load gaming. I have no complaints including when the fans spin up. It isn't in the same universe as the PCs I used to run for noise.

Reactions: Cape Dave

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
I got the 5K I'm January. No regrets and my favorite to use. My iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pro just sits there but the iMac? I love it. So worth the cost. Even if they come up with a new update this October, I'm not worried about it. There will always be something newer than what we have. Enjoy it! The display screen is magnificent!!!

Winfield

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2015
I choose to wait just for the Target-Display Mode that may be included in the skylake update. It's a very useful function of iMac, but the current 5K model is missing it.

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
I choose to wait just for the Target-Display Mode that may be included in the skylake update. It's a very useful function of iMac, but the current 5K model is missing it.

Oh man, that would be a nice perk. All of a sudden it could become a great little secondary TV.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
My iMac arrived yesterday and I absolutely love it but it's showing up as Late 2014 is this correct? I thought people here were saying there was a small update in 2015?

JimMadeira

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2015
I´m waiting too, will wait until the end of the year to see. What would really improve it would be a 4 thread SSD rather than the current 2 thread which slows it. The Macbook Pro has the 4 thread and it´s lightning fast.
Patience is a virtue, but it´s hard to be virtuous.

Dixie Flatline

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Futhark, if you went for the top-end model of the Retina iMac (as did I), then late 2014 is correct. The mid-2015 update added a lower-spec option (the model with a 3.3 GHz i5 CPU), but didn't change the original version released in 2014 (the one that starts at a 3.5 GHz i5). And as far as I know, the lower-end CPU is the only meaningful difference between the late-2014 and mid-2015 models.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
Futhark, if you went for the top-end model of the Retina iMac (as did I), then late 2014 is correct. The mid-2015 update added a lower-spec option (the model with a 3.3 GHz i5 CPU), but didn't change the original version released in 2014 (the one that starts at a 3.5 GHz i5). And as far as I know, the lower-end CPU is the only meaningful difference between the late-2014 and mid-2015 models.

Thank you for clearing this up for me. I panicked i'd been sent an older model

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

Also, the mid-2015 has a slightly weaker GPU (R9 M290 [without the X] vs M290X and M295X) and a HDD instead of Fusion Drive as standard.

Housatonic

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Everyone! This is my first post in the Forums, so I tried my best to find the most relevant thread to ask this question:

I bought the top-end Retina iMac model this Tuesday from Best Buy, but with all the talk of Skylake coming out and the improvements it will have, should I return this machine and wait till October to see if they upgrade the specs?

I know they did that mid-2015 price reduction, but do you think along with the 21" iMacs, they'll boost the specs on the 27" models?

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Hi Everyone! This is my first post in the Forums, so I tried my best to find the most relevant thread to ask this question:

I bought the top-end Retina iMac model this Tuesday from Best Buy, but with all the talk of Skylake coming out and the improvements it will have, should I return this machine and wait till October to see if they upgrade the specs?

I know they did that mid-2015 price reduction, but do you think along with the 21" iMacs, they'll boost the specs on the 27" models?

In my opinion, yes return it and wait for the next refresh which is about two months away. I think the 21.5" will get 4k with mostly intel gpu's. The 27" will probably go to an all retina line-up with the low end maybe intel gpu and mid to high end have AMD 3xx mobile. Probably a bit better screen, better solution for running a 5k screen and have the ability to run an external screen, USB-C and will probably be a bit cooler than the current model. So I think it's worth the wait.

Housatonic

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
In my opinion, yes return it and wait for the next refresh which is about two months away. I think the 21.5" will get 4k with mostly intel gpu's. The 27" will probably go to an all retina line-up with the low end maybe intel gpu and mid to high end have AMD 3xx mobile. Probably a bit better screen, better solution for running a 5k screen and have the ability to run an external screen, USB-C and will probably be a bit cooler than the current model. So I think it's worth the wait.

Thanks very much for your insight! Thats all I needed to hear!

AlifTheUnseen

macrumors regular
May 17, 2014

Listen to dreadnought - I would return it if possible and if you're not in a desperate situation. You might be waiting a couple of months (or three), but you'll probably gain one year more in the future until you'll have to refresh…

Off course, it could very well be that Apple decides to refresh the iMacs not this fall but in spring 16… who knows….

The 21" are two years old now and Skylake cpus are available now… I guess we will see a 21" iMac refresh this fall. The 27" could also be revamped, as the current edition is a somewhat poor technological hack (heat issues / maybe noise, 5K display fused-pipe, software issues), wraped within a gorgeous screen. The rev 2 27" might be a more mature product and may again be used as an external display…

mauka

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2006
October will be here in a few days, any new rumors for the iMac 27" refresh expected this fall?

Last edited:

tokyodan

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I was about to buy a top of the line 27" iMac with the 4GB GPU option and then the 5K iMac came out without an upgraded GPU and replaced the non-5K one so I decided not to buy because it meant that the video performance (for games) of the pre-5K iMac is a lot better than the 5K iMac. It's like when the first Retina iPad came out. It was slower with games than the previous iPad which had the same specs but with fewer pixels to push around. Do you think that iMacs will be upgraded in October to make up for the loss in performance (and hopefully surpass) compared to the previous non-5K iMac? If not I'll be moving to a new HP Envy (they are already running Skylake CPUs and I'll be able to use whatever video card I desire)

tokyodan

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Hi Futhark,
I asked myself the same question a couple of months ago, and realised that an upgrade might be a long time coming! So I purchased a refurbished 27" iMac 5k with Retina display from Apple here in the UK at the end of July 2015.
I have a late-2009 27" iMac with only 256MB of VRAM and before the 5K iMacs came out I wanted a new 2014 27" iMac with the 4GB VRAM option, but now only the 5K iMac has the 4GB VRAM option (so it is less performant). Therefore I wish I could get a refurbished non-5K iMac with 4GB VRAM. But I live in Japan and the selection is very small.

Last edited:

Penfold2711

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Looking at fine point rumours are a magic mouse 2 and updated keyboards using bluetooth LE 4.2 could we see skylake i think if we did apple would have to have some serious sauce to get it out there seeing as hyper threading only goes to 4.2 rather than 4.4.
Could we see new graphics maybe the El Capitan code has 3 strange display modes, I hope we get an October refresh i have £2500 waiting for a 5k iMac with i hope the secret sauce :cool::apple:

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
My guess is that we won't see any new 5K iMacs until next Spring, perhaps late Winter. I think Apple will wait for the appropriate Skylark chip to be ready.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I was about to buy a top of the line 27" iMac with the 4GB GPU option and then the 5K iMac came out without an upgraded GPU and replaced the non-5K one so I decided not to buy because it meant that the video performance (for games) of the pre-5K iMac is a lot better than the 5K iMac. It's like when the first Retina iPad came out. It was slower with games than the previous iPad which had the same specs but with fewer pixels to push around. Do you think that iMacs will be upgraded in October to make up for the loss in performance (and hopefully surpass) compared to the previous non-5K iMac? If not I'll be moving to a new HP Envy (they are already running Skylake CPUs and I'll be able to use whatever video card I desire)

Not the same as the Retina iPad - the iPad couldn't change the resolution, the iMac can. You can play games at 1080p or 1440p on a 5K iMac, the same resolution you can play them as a non-retina iMac.

The video performance for games with is not a lot better on the previous iMacs, far from it. The only non-retina iMac that can compare to the iMac 5K in gaming performance is the one with the GeForce 780M. Also, the 5K resolution is too demanding even for a full desktop GeForce 980 (running latest games in 4K often requires dual-gpu setups). I doubt you'll be able to play games in full res even with the next gen iMac 5K. We may have to wait a few years for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.