When is the Macpro line refresh ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MrTed, Apr 13, 2007.

1. MrTed macrumors member

So Apple didn't have time to take care of leopard...did engeneer take a look at macpro since last August ? 1 year macpro didn't move !!
    Leopard delay could be a sign to buy now, but did Apple plan to change the bottom/middle of macpro line ?
    What do you think ?

2. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

They just added the 8 core version. I don't think they'll be doing anything else to is any time soon. :eek:

3. MrTed thread starter macrumors member

8 core comes above the rest but nothing moved below !!
    NOTHING happened since August !

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

That is usually what happens when you introduce new technology into a computer...

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I don't see much happening until there are price drops on the dual-core cpus, allowing faster clocked machines at the same price points. Otherwise, not much until 45nm process later in 2007.

6. MrTed thread starter macrumors member

You mean 8 core macpro could be compared, strategically, as the last quad G5 release. After that, we had macpro. Maybe we'll have a new technology...but when ?

Mmmm, dual coreduo macpro price drop ? but when ?

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

it's the first 3.0 ghz 8-core computer, so it's a new technology

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

9. MrTed thread starter macrumors member

No it's the same kind of chip, a change would be new bus speed, redesign (smaller case), etc...

Ok then, not before august for price drop....

10. PCtoMac-change macrumors member

I'm pretty sure that the price drops don't involve the Xeons. This is really a price war to see who will get the gamers just before the next generation of CPU's. Could be wrong though, but this is just what I've seen from the articles I have read.

11. sdhollman macrumors regular

Actually it is across the entire line and includes the Xeons, it will also be happening this month on the 22nd.
    http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Readies+New+Xeons+and+Price+Cuts/article6493.htm

I here you MrTed, I was hoping for at least a RAM or HD size increase. The 7300 needs to get the boot and the 3.0 upgrade price needs to drop a little before I buy.

12. PCtoMac-change macrumors member

How long you think it will be before Apple lowers their prices? On the same day?

13. sdhollman macrumors regular

Even when the chips drop in price Apple will keep the same base price, the components will most likely get a boost. Think RAM, HD, Video card, hey mabey even a blue-ray option?

14. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

I don't think you're going to see updates as we knew them. Apple is likely just going to add options when they are available. There is no new motherboard planned until Seaburg comes out which is probably a few months off. No new CPUs until the fall. The only thing likely is a video card or optical drive option.