When is the next iPhone coming out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheBrainMcClain, Aug 20, 2008.

1. TheBrainMcClain macrumors member

TheBrainMcClain

I've ordered my SwitchEasy Rebel Arctic case, am ordering a custom skin from UniqueSkins tomorrow, and plan on getting a Power Support Crystal screen protector at the Apple store, but before I get the iPhone I just want to make sure nothing is probably coming out soon. I won't die if I don't get the iPhone now, I do need one by 9-25 though. Apple usually comes out with (or upgrades) products in early Sept. Do you think I should wait a week or two, just in case they come out with a 32 gb iPhone (which would make my life a lot easier, I'm having to keep less than half of my music of the phone)?

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

no, very unlikely anything will be released in september for the iphone
    only the macbook (and macbook pros) and ipods are due for a refresh

3. JOLoughlin macrumors member

JOLoughlin

32gb iPhone coming???

just wondering when because I am thinking of getting the iPhone next month though knowing my luck a 32gb model will be released the day after I get it. Any info or advice cause I would definitly dish out an extra $100 to get it.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We have no clue when a 32 GB model is coming. Can't imagine it will be soon though, as the current model just came out.

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Not unless the iPod touch adds a 64GB model! (At least untill the iPod remains in its current avatar!)

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If anything, in about 6 months there may be a capacity increase for the phone but that is it. Next major iPhone will be next summer.

7. wolfwill23 macrumors member

Um, maybe they should get the 8 and 16 3G phones WORKING before releasing another one.

Think I dropped about 6 calls today, have (another) appointment with a genius tomorrow - and this is already my 2nd 3G.

ps-For all you haters who will say it's not the phone it's the service, eff off because I've had AT&T for OVER 10 YEARS and I have never had any problems like this. IT'S THE PHONE AND IT'S A PIECE OF S**T!

pss-Had to spend 1:15 on the phone with Apple today to get a sympathetic ear. He had no info except that Apple is aware of the problems and is working on a fix. He did set up my genius appointment for me though.

My plan is to basically just keep replacing phones as long as Apple will let me or until I have a unit that, well, 'that just works.'

8. DaPhatty macrumors member

If last generation is any indication, then we should see a 32 GB iPhone within the next month or so. Personally, I wanted a 32 GB iPhone to begin with but had to settle for a 16 GB instead.

Yea, I have to agree. My iPhone's performance has slowly degraded over time. It's almost as bad as my previous HTC Touch (which is what drove me to Apple in the first place.) I really hope apple gets these issues fixed. Otherwise, I'll have a hard time convincing the wife to take my 16 GB model and letting me upgrade to a 32 GB model. :D

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The original iPhone didn't see a capacity boost for more than seven months after the initial release.

10. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

4 new iPhones will be out by the end of the year. Apple has decided to offer up a new one every month!

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

There is a 100% chance we will probably see yearly updates to the iPhone every summer.

12. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

100% . . . probably.

I like it! :D

13. TheBrainMcClain thread starter macrumors member

TheBrainMcClain

So would you recommend waiting until next month to take the plunge, just in case?

14. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

If you wait until next summer, you are sure to get the new device!

15. TheBrainMcClain thread starter macrumors member

TheBrainMcClain

16. Rigsby macrumors regular

Well, if you wait a month you'll have a month less with the latest version of the iPhone.

17. philgilder macrumors 68000

18. TheBrainMcClain thread starter macrumors member

TheBrainMcClain

You have a point. I have everything prepared, I'm just going to wait until the skin comes in to get the phone itself.

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I would wait two years from this past July 11 then buy. You won't regret it. :)

20. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Oh come on!

Im with SJ on this one! He said "if you wait for the 'new' version, you'll never end up buying anything!"

21. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a 32 gig version coming in September. There are 32 gig chips available now for inclusion, which there weren't at launch of the 3G.

But that's probably all they'll change. It'll likely be next summer before there's a full upgrade that will likely do something with the camera and maybe change the back styling.

Phazer

22. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Dear jaysis whats with these threads....
    The iPhone just got updated a few months ago. Only updrade it may get is 32gb boohooo...

23. chomby1991 macrumors member

I'm really getting annoyed with these Americans complaining about iPhone 3g dropping out etc. I have a crazy idea. Maybe think how long has AT&T had 3g?not long at all if I'm correct. Australia has had it for years now and guess what? Never have I gone out of 3g range and never have I had a
    Single call drop out even though I live in rural Australia. Get over it guys iPhone 3g was only brought out cause it will a) be stable one day in America and b) no other countries can put up with this old edge network. Never mind I have a great solution! Turn off 3g. Obviously hasn't been a need for upgrading to 3g when everyone else did you'll make do. Just like imperial measurement ey? Go on make a stand and don't upgrade like everyone else. That'll show us

24. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Nearly every country in Europe is having the same problems.

Phazer

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

My bet is that we *may* see the 32gb around the holidays selling for what the 16gb is going for now with the 16gb going for $199 and the 8gb discontinued or perhaps selling for $149. If not the holidays, than I'm almost positive we'll see one by Macworld. By the time the 32gb comes, there will be rumors and speculation about a 64gb iphone. lol

You could buy one now and sell it when the 32gb comes out. You wont be able to get the 32gb at the subsized price at that point but the money you'll get from ebay for a contract free iphone might make up most of the cost of the new one even without the subsidy. Of course, that might be what everyone does. . .