When it comes to getting info, Snow Leopard is either bugged or broken

Discussion in 'macOS' started by carlosbutler, Sep 19, 2009.

1. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

Wanted to get the file size for all the files in a folder. Common sense would lead someone to believe that if that have 40 things selected and you ask for the info on them, it would give you all the info in one thing (ie total size, file types etc) but 10.6 is just being stupid about it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

are there any other ways (or patchs) to stop this from happening?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Hold down the "ctrl" key while selecting "Get Info". Either ctrl-cmd-I, or from the context menu or Finder > File > Get Info. You'll notice in the contextual menu or Finder menu, "Get Info" changes to "Get Summary Info", while the "ctrl" key is held down.

(This works back to Tiger, 10.4)

edit: btw, this tip can be found by using the Finder > Help, then typing "Get Info". It'll tell you how to get to the "Get Summary Info" menu, and also bring up more detailed help articles such as "Viewing file and folder information". Google ("consolidate get info") also worked (that's where I verified it worked back to 10.4).

3. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

Ah right I never knew you could do that. Just that in 10.5 when it got to a certain number of items it would automatically do it, and I thought it was missing in 10.6.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I seemed to remember it being automatic at one point, too, but it could have been before 10.5.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's there in 10.2 too.

I think the threshold was 10 files, but in SL it seems to be gone now.

6. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

hmm im guessing no one has found a way to change the limit? i tried looking on os x hints and those sorts of sites. nothing at all. although i had found out how to open system prefs in 32-bit for all the addons that arent 64-bit yet:D

7. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

select group of files.
    command control i for total size.
    Might take a few seconds to count them :)