Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgarchar

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2006
I get a lot of **** talking. it's pretty ridiculous how many people want me to break my phone(which i already did) just because they're too jealous and aren't smart enough with their money to get one. Whenever someone badmouths it, or says something derogatory about me for paying $600 for a phone, or anything else...i usually just think less of them and walk away.

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
So far most the people that see my iPhone ask "How Do You Like it" As soon as I tell them it's the greatest product I have ever owned, they become experts on the iPhone. "I heard most of them don't work" "Does it work, because I heard you can't activate them" "Did it cost $600?"

I had one chain smoker ask me about the phone. It's ok to keep buying cancer sticks, but god forbid spending $600 on the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Starting with them: "No." "Yes." "No." "Yes." "No!" "Yawp." "HOW?!" "Won it." You WON it?!" "Yawp." "DUDE!"

Or, more commonly with adults (as in all but four that I've met with it): "Hey, is that an iPhone?" "Yep." Slight pause... "How long did you have to wait in line?" "Not at all. I won it." "Won it... wow..."

It's all in the presentation. Just take it out nonchalantly to perform a task... such as checking the time in a clock store. ;) I'm joking. I don't flaunt it. If I want to take it out to use and people see it, that's fine with me.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I was playing with mine at the airport on Wednesday and some guy made a comment about it being stupid to buy a $500 phone. My reply, no more than trying to hide your baldness with a comb over.

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
Them: "Is that an iPhone?"
Me: "Nope! It is a MePhone. I know, it's a knock-off but no one can tell the difference."

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
Or, more commonly with adults (as in all but four that I've met with it): "Hey, is that an iPhone?" "Yep." Slight pause... "How long did you have to wait in line?"

yea i got that with all the adults who seen it too. I got " ohh, can i try it " from the younger people. Another guy asked me if it was loud when it rings. I told him it would be nice if it was louder, sometimes i cant hear it when its in my pocket. But at least it vibrates while it rings, so its kind of hard to miss a call. I told him before my iphone i had a nextel which could only do one thing at a time, ring or vibrate. So i have no complaints.

iPhoneHome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
I was playing with mine at the airport on Wednesday and some guy made a comment about it being stupid to buy a $500 phone. My reply, no more than trying to hide your baldness with a comb over.

Brilliant! LOL

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
last night on the 6 train in NYC a girl just kept staring at me and finally said, "Is that the iphone? Wow!" Then she had to look at it again to make sure or something.

on amtrak the other day the conductor said, "Is that one of them new ipods or something?"

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
I don't own an iPhone, but I did see 2 people with them at the Ozzfest concert 2 days ago. I was exhausted, so all I asked was the basic "Is that an iPhone? That's pretty awesome!" I was going to go on and ask how they like it, if they got it on launch day, and if they use Macs, but I was too tired.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Most of the time I get the:
Omg is that an iPhone? or
How do you like it? or
Does it work well? or
Was it worth the money?

Really it was worth the money, but do you think I would admit to not liking my phone I just spent $600 on?

Or sometimes you get the pricks/ people that are jealous that give you the:
"I heard the touch screens don't work" or the
"I heard the battery life sucks" (me: ugh... no it doesn't, it lasts longer than my RAZR) or the
"Wow why is the internet so slow?" (me: hmmm, maybe having 1 bar of service has something to do with it?" or my favorite
"Err, this is nice and all but, what ever happened to just having a phone?" I have only had that a few times but they always are the people who have their RAZR,Chocolate,EnV and have it loaded with pictures/games/music. So I just blow them off and make some small jab at their phone... then it typically shuts them up

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I just got this today: Wow you spent 600 on the phone (in a very condescending way). In that voice (and you may know of the tone I am talking about) where the tone is "Oh how did Daddy by that for you." I guess since I am 21 and in college working a job and taking extra shifts isn't a possibility. Only Daddy could by it for me... Oh and you are to above everyone to see the point of buying a 600 phone... Everyone has a hobby, mine is tech, now please put your nose down....

Also I got today: Oh I can't see the reason for buying first gen. It just doesn't make any sense.

Diviant

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
I get a lot of "Pfft, you bought an iPhone? What a rip-off."

They then go on to cite all the faults of the iPhone (with a very jealous tone), then about 5 minutes later ask if they can see it.

Seriously people, just admit you wish you could get one, it's OK, I understand.

There's also a lot of people who (like stated above) talk about how "dumb" it was to buy first gen. Seriously guys, it's my money, I wanted it bad enough, I was willing to spend the money. Just because you're a penny-pinching dope who doesn't understand the concept of buying something for fun and not because the guy on the TV says it's perfect doesn't mean I can't indulge myself with a cool gadget. Any person who puts down myself or the phone is most definitely trying to reaffirm the "Won't Buy It" stance that was impressed upon them by the TV reviews on a slow news day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.