When should I get my MBP??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yizhimao, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Yizhimao macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

I'm entering university next august. I'm just wondering if I should wait for the 2011 MBP or just buy the new 2010 MacBook air?? Btw, anyone knows when is the release of the 2011 MBP??

2. simsaladimbamba

Buy now = need now.

Wait = if you can wait.

And no one knows Apple's release schedule, except Apple and direct partners maybe.
    An update is expected to happen in Q1/2011, therefore a wait of up to three and a half months can be realistic.

3. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

If you get your student ID before you enter uni as well I'd wait for the summer and take advantage of the free iPod touch as well and the student discount.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Are you buying based on which model came/comes out the latest?

5. Branskins macrumors 65816

And the free printer!

6. Yizhimao thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

Well, I'm not in any hurry to get my first mac notebook. It's just that I'm in a dilemma whether to get the MBP or the MBAir. Since I'm a student, the 2 main factors I would consider is portability and long battery. So far only the MBP 13" and the MBAir 13" fits the bill. Is the MBP 15" worth the buy??

7. miata macrumors 6502

Based on your priorities I would say that the MBP does make sense for you. You would get less battery life than the MBP 13 and less portability than either the MBP or MBA 13.

The MBP 13 is most cost effective solution of all.

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i was in the same boat. 13" or 15" the 15" gives better processor, better graphics, better screen resolution + larger screen (15")
    the 13" doesnt offer any of that except weight and portability-- but invest the money saved from buying the 15" and get some RAM and some SSD or (the hybrid) and experience performance faster than the i processors!

9. Yizhimao thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys!! I'm only waiting cause I can't wait to see how the new MBP 13" is gonna be like. The 2010 MBP was, to me, a total disappointment since it didn't really get that much of an upgrade from the previous MBP unlike the 15" and the 17" MBPs. I'm really tempted to get the MBA 13". But is it worth it??

10. Barnzee macrumors regular

I would at least wait for the refresh, and if it isn't what your looking for get a refurb.

11. Yizhimao thread starter macrumors member

Oh okay.. That's a good idea.. Anyways, I'll be doing civil engineering in uni later so is MBP 13" still a wiser choice or do I need to get the 15" for better specs??

12. Nachos macrumors member

Nachos

Depends on what kind of work you will be doing. If you're working with programs like AutoCAD I think you will appreciate the specs and screen size of a 15" with high res. I worked with it on a 13" and for that kind of program you really need a bigger screen and lots of power.

Just my opinion ;)

13. gorgeousninja macrumors 6502

gorgeousninja

IF you can wait, possibly the 13th of March 2016

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You may also consult the linked thread in my signature too. ;)

15. Yizhimao thread starter macrumors member

Is that true?? Well, I'm up for the wait.. I guess I should start saving up:) Goodness, te anxiety is killing me!!:D

16. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

lol! just got my MBP and happier than ever. there will be updates every year so either way you will be loosing something sooner or later. why not start sooner and get a MBP 2010 now! microcenter offers it for $999+ tax (instore pickup only) and make sure to sign up with their program to get an additional 5% off. cheaper than macconnections and i live in CA,