When should I sell my iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daaneel, Jul 3, 2011.

1. daaneel macrumors regular

Hi everybody,
    I have an iPhone 4 and I'm wanting to upgrade to an iPhone 5 when it comes out (I've heard about a release date somewhere in September/Octoberish which isn't too far from now). Now the problem is that I'm obviously not going to keep my iPhone 4, but if i keep it until the iPhone 5 will the secondhand value of my iPhone 4 go down? Do you think I should keep my iPhone till the 5 comes out or sell it before? How long before the expected release of the iPhone 5 should I sell it?

2. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

Now. Lol. and buy a iphone 3g..... but its up to you.. iphone 4 will lose some value when the 5 comes out... but not alot so its really your choice....

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

4. daaneel thread starter macrumors regular

Alright thanks.
    And what should I expect for the price of the iPhone 5 (secondhand) when it comes out?

5. krnboy503 macrumors regular

$700-900

6. daaneel thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I think I will sell my iPhone 4 now and wait till price of the iPhone 4 to drop once the five comes out, and when the 4 has dropped enough, I think I will buy another! :D

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Depends how much you want out of it. It is worth more now than it will ever be worth in the future. Sell it now and deal with a 20$ dumbphone until the new iPhone's release!

You will get the most out of your iPhone 4 if it is in good condition, clean, and includes the box as well as all of the original accessories.

8. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Is it really worth it ?
    You'll have no phone for about 3 months to save about $50
    Hold on to it and sell it when the iPhones announced.

9. daaneel thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I wont have an iPhone for 3 months but I could get a GoPhone for $10.
    Well if I'm going to get an iPhone 5, whats the use of keeping the 4? Might as well sell it and get a little more profit from it.

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Plus you'll save money by not having a data plan. :D

11. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Would that work? Getting a GoPhone and then putting a contract-ed SIM in it? I've been told by multiple AT&T reps that they wouldn't work. Not sure if that's true though ;O

You SHOULD sell your phone, I just don't think you should sell it now. Just wait. The trouble you'll have from not having your iPhone will NOT be worth the (probably about) $50 loss you'll have from selling it after the iPhone 5 release. You'll easily sell it, and if you have a case + extra accessories you'll get a good deal. So many people are waiting for the iPhone 5 so they can get a cheaper iPhone 4, it'll be sold quickly.

12. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

AT&T representatives are notorious for lying in order to get you to buy stuff. People say, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet", but I'd honestly check here for truths before I ever believe someone working in a carrier store.

13. daaneel thread starter macrumors regular

It should work. I am not in a contract plan anymore.

And you've made a good point about how people are waiting till the iPhone 4 gets cheaper....Well I think ill just put it on craigslist for 400 and I'll sell it if I get a buyer... If not, might as well keep it till the iPhone 5 release and hope I can get ~$350 for it.

P.S.
    I just received a warning for asking how much an iPhone 5 would be secondhand when it comes out. Lol?

14. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It's considered a "price check outside the marketplace", but that doesn't make sense seeing as how the device hasn't even been announced yet. Weird. I wouldn't worry too much about it. :p

In case you're wondering what the marketplace is, it's a special section of the forum that is open for buying/selling merchandise for members that have 6+ months experience here with a post count of 500 or more. :)

15. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I know I know, I didn't say that they were correct. You'd have to Google it or something.

OP, you'll definitely sell that for $400. I just bought my 16GB iPhone 4 for that exact price. I've also sold/bought a lot of phones on Craigslist, haha. But anyways, I'd advice you didn't sell it. You will miss the heck out of your iPhone. I also have a lot of experience with regret. lol

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The warning was issued by mistake. It's all sorted out now.

17. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Good stuff! :D

18. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Good! Cuz you know what happens to most people like you...

Banned from the forum, and stoned in public

19. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I HAVE to be missing something.

20. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Argue with AT&T into getting a ETF reprieve. Then sell your iPhone 4 as a no-contract phone for $550. Buy a Verizon iPhone 5 with a contract and you get $250+ profit, if it stays at current prices.

21. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yeah, sell now for most money. Though, you will still make a decent amount (maybe ~$100 less) a few days after the announcement. Even on the day of the announcement the prices haven't changed too much (from my observations).

I would sell later because I wouldn't be able to live without a smartphone of some sort. That's just me though and my obsessive use. ;)

Good luck!

22. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Personally, I don't see how giving up your iPhone 4 for 3 months is worth getting an iPhone 5 at no additional cost. Sure you're getting your previous phone to pay for your next one, but you're also only an iPhone owner 9 months out of the year. To each their own.

23. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Sell, sell now. It's almost too late! The phone is at its peak about 6 months after it comes out. Its losing money every day.

And of course you never buy right at release. Wait at least two or three months for all the bugs to be worked out and the stock to be high enough so that you can pick one out with a good screen. You certainly don't want to be stuck with bad pixels, yellow screen etc.

During the time without your snazzy iPhone just get an elcheapo gophone! Using my system you'll only have to pay for an iPhone about 3 months out of the year.

Of course figuring out all the contract problems is left up to you. :D

24. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Considering the two major flaws with the iphone 4, I bet the used price falls like a stone if the iPhone 5 addresses the antenna issue and glass back.

25. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Depends on how flooded the market becomes then. If its just a spec bump and not as many upgrade your value shouldn't go down much. If is so awesome everyone has to have it I would thing the iphone4 prices will drop below $350. Its just supply and demand. The demand will be there for iphone4s its just a gamble to see how it works out and if there are way more them than people looking to buy ;)