When should I start waiting in line?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by varsityhero, Sep 9, 2016.

1. varsityhero macrumors regular

I'm wanting to get a Black 7+ 256GB on AT&T using the iPhone upgrade program. I was able to reserve a phone last year on the program with no problem. I live in Dallas and none of the stores in the area had them to reserve this morning. I was on the store right when it launched too. Do you think they'll have some in stores next Friday? Any idea how long I should get in line before they open? I've never waited in line for an iPhone as I've always pre-ordered. It would be great if I could get some feedback from some people in the Dallas area. Thanks.

2. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Wait a day or two for lines to die down. No need to be "That" person that has to sacrifice hours of your day, to be the first on your block to own the phone. Weather is nice outside, go to the store midweek, next week.

3. varsityhero thread starter macrumors regular

Nah I'm good :p

4. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

They will have some stock. It really depends on your area. Here, in Central Florida, lines at the Apple Stores (the ones where people are allowed to line-up) start about 8-10 PM the night before. By midnight, there's usually a hundred people, or so. By store opening, many hundreds.

If I were you, I'd shoot for 10PM.

5. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I waited in line was for the 6. I live in a city of about 200,000 with a metro area of close to 1M and 1 Apple Store. I got in line around 7 PM and was 12th in line. I would think if I got in line this year I could probably be in about the same spot with getting in line before 10 PM. Just a guess though as I just have the feeling there was a bigger demand then for the first 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones. I also waited in line for the 5S but went to an AT&T store at 5 AM and was 1st in line.

Next week Wednesday or Thursday I'd call your local store(s) and see if they have a sense for how much stock and demand they have for the phones. If stock is high and demand is low then you might be able to wait til the morning.

6. JKick23 macrumors newbie

JKick23

If we have a reservation, do we need to get there super early? Or do lines for reservations move pretty quickly?

7. varsityhero thread starter macrumors regular

Somehow I just checked the reservation site again and was able to reserve the exact phone I want but in silver. I'm going in right at 8 when they open. The site says I can change my device upon availability. Do you guys think that'll be possible?

I wonder if it's upon availability from the devices they put aside for reservations or also devices they put aside for walk-ins?

Anyone have experience from last year?

8. madhu1989 macrumors regular

I live in Dallas too. Which store are you going to be headed to?

9. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

10. varsityhero thread starter macrumors regular

I'll be going to Stonebriar Mall. How about you?

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I reserved for in store pickup 2 years ago for the 6+ and I still waited 1.5 hours when I got there!

12. dmonnin macrumors regular

Anybody in the Miami area have any indication from previous launches down here at Apple stores on when ppl started lining up? I'm assuming I would be pretty safe getting there early evening Thursday.

13. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This is just how reserves work for the other 364 days a year. They don't force you to uy one configuration when there is something else in stock.

If this works anything like previous launches I have been, a few hours before they open they will hand out cards. Once a specific version of the phone is spoken for. It is considered out of stock for the day. Those who preordered one do no get preference over the folks standing in line.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2016 ---
    The good news is you can pick it up a any time that day. I'd just go in the afternoon.

15. kevink2 macrumors 65816

It is actually too late.

16. madhu1989 macrumors regular

I am thinking of heading to Northpark or Willow Bend (they just reopened yesterday). But this is the first time I am lining up to get the iPhone and the stores I am considering are located in malls. So I am not sure of what the arrangement is going to be. Any inputs?

17. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Where my uncle is waiting, he said only him and one other person is waiting. They told him he is guaranteed a jet black.

18. varsityhero thread starter macrumors regular

I've never waited in line either. I've always pre-ordered. I haven't been to Willow Bend, but I know the store at Northpark is huge! I'd suggest going there. Best of luck to ya.

19. madhu1989 macrumors regular

thanks ! hows the mall at stonebriar handling the overnight queue that is gonna show up at the store? also, what time have you planned on getting in line?

20. varsityhero thread starter macrumors regular

Well now that I have a phone reserved (see my previous post above), I plan to get in line at 730am for my 8am reservation. Hopefully they'll be able to switch my silver 7+ 256GB to matte black.

21. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Line for reservation last year was snail pace and unorganized. Set for 11:30 - 12pm so I could just go during lunch. Was about 2 hours for everything.

22. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I would recommend Thursday morning if the Apple store is a standalone (not in a mall). If it's in a mall, you'll only be able to start lining up once the actual mall doors open (unless the Apple store hires security for overnight in the mall).

23. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

If you're asking, theres something wrong.