When sleeping - Home button for play/pause/next track

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Zeromus, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Zeromus macrumors member

Zeromus

I have a crazy idea that I want to submit to the internets.

Put your touch to sleep (the button on the top). Give it a shot. Right. Now there are 2 ways to wake it up, the button on the top, and the home button.

They both do the same thing... what a waste.

What I reckon would be cool is if when the iPod is asleep and screen off, the home button acts like the iPhone's remote control. One press = play/pause, Two presses = next track.

That way, you can shove it in your pocket and be able to use it fine... just as well as an iPhone stashed in the pocket. Of course, if the display is active the home button acts as it does now, but if the display is off... let the home button do something useful/different to what the top button does anyway!

I don't know, what do you peoples think? I want something like this so bad, it'd be the only thing I'd upgrade my touch's firmware and void my jailbreaking potential for...

2. spazer macrumors member

That's a great idea. I like it. Having control of music without having to pull it out of my pocket would be awesome.

3. db2431 macrumors regular

and when the home button keeps getting jogged in your pocket by accident and switching song....?

4. AppleMatt389 macrumors regular

Id say it's fairly hard for it to get jogged. Considering its indented and not very sensitive anyway.

I really like this idea, though I usually hold my iPod when I'm listening to it anyway, but still, awesome idea.

:apple:Matt

5. Zeromus thread starter macrumors member

Zeromus

It's a receded button, and it's not terribly big. Think about the nano, 3 quarters of it's wheel if clicked would screw your music up. It doesn't happen often.

The second leg of my daily train trip to work involves me standing shoulder-to-shoulder with other people for 30 mins. A quick reach into the pocket for basic music controls would rock.

And also, I would presume you could toggle the feature on and off, double-space-to-full-stop style.

6. Dublo7 macrumors regular

I think this is a fantastic idea. It's a shame Apple will probably never even think of it :(

7. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

WHAT A HORRIBLE IDEA!! OMG!

just kidding, i like it... make it happen

Arisian

8. rbroady macrumors regular

that would be great, another thing to consider is volume

maybe by holding it down it can toggle the volume and you release when its at the volume you want

so

one touch:play/puase
    two touch: song forward
    hold: volume toggle

that would be tits

9. jcs1088 macrumors regular

10. Dublo7 macrumors regular

11. Zeromus thread starter macrumors member

Zeromus

Well, i submitted the idea to Apple and TUAW, don't know what else I can do at this stage.

If you haven't figured it out yet, this is just a fairly obvious bump ;)

12. Dublo7 macrumors regular

Have you got a copy of the email you could paste here?
    I'll do the same ;)

13. PapZ macrumors newbie

Yes, absolutely. If we flood them with requests, they'll eventually give us this little — and yet stunning — feature:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipodtouch.html

I admit I may over-use that form (at least one mail a day, so far), but I guess more is better than less ;)

14. drnycallstar19 macrumors member

that's a great idea. (though the volume thing wouldn't work out) the original idea is great though.

15. Zeromus thread starter macrumors member

Zeromus

Nope :( I submitted the request via web forms. But it basically said what was said in the OP.

Yeah, I submitted it there when I submitted the OP. I encourage you all to submit your requests via this method. Maybe someone is listening? >_>;

:)

16. Mr-G macrumors newbie

I notice that if you press the home button twice, it brings up a dialog to start music, jump to the music, or adjust volume. I didn't figure this out until having this thing for a week.

Is this documented anywhere? Does anyone know of any other 'tricks'?

17. criticalmiracle macrumors newbie

criticalmiracle

Someone do this NOW.

18. DAP1MP13 macrumors newbie

OMG, seriously, that is an excellent idea.
    I would love it, being able to change tracks without taking the ipod out of my pocket, that's one thing I loved about the classic controls....

19. Football1maniac macrumors regular

Football1maniac

Or better yet, to please all the complainers of the world, have it like the iPhone where you have the OPTION of having this task be performed or having it act like what it does now = double-click to get quick song controls

Man, were on a role tonight!:D:apple:

20. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I'd rather see Apple fix the Radio Remote functionality, myself.

21. solyd macrumors regular

You guys do realize that if you press the home button twice while it's sleeping, it brings up a remote control screen for you to quickly play/pause, rewind/forward, and change the volume without having to unlock your iPod?

22. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

The idea was to not have to use the screen, if I followed this thread correctly.

23. solyd macrumors regular

Ah, that clears things up. Not a bad idea, but I think it's fairly easy to use the display control once you get used to it. I can change songs pretty accurately without looking at the screen now.

24. chall5 macrumors regular

yeah any feature that gives you basic control without having to remove it from your pocket is needed. Personally I favour the controls on the headphone cord - track skip and volume but this idea would still be welcome

25. Zeromus thread starter macrumors member

Zeromus

Does anyone know how the iPhone-headphone-control works? aka, is it possible that it can be brought to the iPod touch through a firmware update or does the touch lack necessary hardware requirements.

Either way, the tap and double tap of the home button I would still favour, it'd be easier to use with headphones I wouldn't need to buy another accessory :)