When texting: Is 1 Byte 1 Character?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrsir2009, Jun 3, 2012.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

When texting: Is 1 Byte 1 Character? I'm pretty sure it is, but I jus want to be sure :) Thanks!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I think it's two bytes per character. One byte allows 256 different characters, and there are more than that available (consider that you can send a message in languages such as Japanese or Arabic if you wish).

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, 8 bits = 1 byte. For any ASCII character you need an 8-bit combination, which effectively makes every character a byte.

4. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Cool, thanks!

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Bah, you guys are too quick. I wrote something, realised it was wrong and deleted it, then edited it. That's how my post snuck in above without you seeing it :p

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This is true for non English (or Latin based) languages. However, for regular ASCII, it holds that 1 char = 1 byte.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, I guess it depends on whether the phone/network is clever enough to dynamically switch encoding based on what's been entered, or whether it'll do everything in "extended" (Unicode?) format.

8. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Ah, and this would apply for a regular text message, yes?

----------

Goddammit you snuck in again :p

Anyway, on my old cellphone I think I remember it saying the number of bytes in a message as I wrote it. And I think, I think... it added one byte with every character I entered. Not certain though :eek:

9. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

This is off-topic but are most people posting in this thread NZ peoplz?

10. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

3 out of 4 :D (well, I don't actually know where jav6454 is from... Where are you from?)

11. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

You know I'm from auckland,remember I I'm jafa:p:D

12. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Oh indeed.

13. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

All these replies, no one bothered to look it up ?

14. hafr macrumors 68030

Unnecessary anecdote: I used to have a handset which, when set to use English, used up several characters in the character count when using letters like ç, but when set to French ç only equalled one letter in the character count.

15. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

(this is really a tangent post)

^ says how many letters a message can be, but it doesn't say how much data is sent in total (including metadata). This mightn't be relevant to the question, since each message sent is a flat rate.

While I couldn't find actual any info on what data is sent alongside the SMS digest, this page shows what data is stored with a single tweet.

16. KnightWRX, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Routing and metadata are not counted, but depending if you bust character count, your message could cost you extra as there is such a thing as concatenated SMS, which is a set of SMS messages that each represent a segment of the total message. Each segment could be charged as a seperate SMS since that is what it is. If your message requires segmentation for a concatenated SMS, your character count will be lower as an additional header is inserted right into the user data portion (7 bytes for 7 bit ASCII encoded messages, 8 bytes for 8-bit or 16 bit encoded messages.

If you really want to dwelve into the deep layers of GSM/SS7 signaling and message headers, there's always this page :

http://services.eng.uts.edu.au/userpages/kumbes/public_html/ra/sms/#Service Elements

Again, since this is the Internet and we have search services, I'm quite surprised it took over 10 posts before someone just bothered to look it up. Was this question even worthy of a thread ?

************************** comes to mind... I guess that's the new generation of "Internet users", they just browse forums and facebook...