When they say August what do they really mean?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by camglegg, Jul 29, 2010.

1. camglegg macrumors newbie

August is a looong month! Do they mean the 1st or next Tuesday. Or mid month?

Most of the upgrades are BTO so it shouldn't take to long for them to start pushing them out the door right?

2. rajbonham macrumors 6502

I was just going to ask the same question. I heard the 9th being thrown around, but I honestly have no clue. Anyone have an idea?

3. celticpride678

August means sometime in August. Apple is still deciding, which is why they didn't give a definitive date.

4. camglegg thread starter macrumors newbie

That is the least helpful reply i have ever read. Thank you for your help though.

5. Quash macrumors regular

I expect mid august or later. If it's like within the next 2 weeks they probably could have named an exact date.

6. telequest macrumors regular

And once they deem themselves ready to clue us in on a date, I'm hoping they'll provide prices for key options – especially the cost to upgrade to the single hexacore from the base quad. Yeah, it's great that we finally know it'll be sometime in August, but seems weird that they haven't picked a date certain or decided on pricing this close to release. Yet another thing to keep us on pins and needles. Can't wait until I can just order a couple of these dang things.

7. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

yup . . hurry up and wait . . and wait . . and wait.

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

August means August. Apple is usually pretty good about releasing things when they promise. They don't run in Steam time. Chances are they'll start taking pre orders at the beginning of August for delivery towards the end.

9. oilfighter macrumors regular

August means before 8/31, or if they run into manufacturing difficulties, before the end of 2010.

10. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Hello everyone!

I finally got the actual date when the mac pros(2009 revamped with westmere support) will be available:

AUGUST 9TH... thats what tech support told me as well as customer service.. as I was thinking of RMA'ing my 2009 3.33(was 2.66) for the entry-level quad core 2.8 or 3.2 - IF AND ONLY IF it supports B1 stepping.. if it doesn't, then its not worth my money or effort to even bother with a firmware updated mac pro with 6-core, as 1. it will be out of my price range for sure.. and 2. I have no use for such a configuration..

Actually one question I do have..

Does the entry level 2.8/3.2 (w3530, w3565) HAVE THE SUPPORT FOR B1?? If it doesn't, someone please let me know.. When I called tech support today they told me they didn't know.. and Intel told me to ask Apple as I called them to ask the same question..

If the entry-level 2.8/3.2's have the updated firmware.. then it is possible to install the westmere 6-core single or if it exists.. 12-core single.. if not, then I wouldn't bother.

I have my doubts the 8-core is going to sell at all given that the 8-cores of the 09 originals were much faster than 2.4 and the price for this one sits a little below the 6-core. I think the 6-core is going to cost near 4 grand.. roughly 3899.99 - again, out of my price range even with the RMA'ed mac pro.

Thoughts? Please i need this information to determine if I should consider such a swap.. and i only have two weeks (27th till the 9th of august) to make up my decision.

11. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Most often it means the last few days of August. Don't forget they'll then ship them from China so you might not receive it until early September.

Usually they would be more specific if they expected it earlier than the very end of August.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They mean a date between the first and thirty first of the eight month of the year. Its not soooo long, its 31 days and it will be available when its available.

13. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

It will likely be in the middle or end of August or will face the fate of the white iPhone.

14. celticpride678

No, it's actually a very useful reply. Nobody knows when Apple will be releasing the new Mac Pro's but it will be sometime in August.

This thread is pretty pointless though

15. camglegg thread starter macrumors newbie

How is it pointless? Trying to data mine information from a large macintosh user base is a good idea. Wouldn't you agree.

I am really just trying to find out if anyone had any inside info, thank you for everyone who posted I think I have my answer... Nobody has any clue. Thanks Apple!

16. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Are you joking or serious? The only reason I even ask is because I keep hearing this date being mentioned...

17. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Call customer service..

and they will tell you the same thing.. as I told them my dilemma about me sending back as an RMA my 09 mac pro for the entry-level quad - ASSUMING IF AND ONLY IF it supports B1.. if not, then not worth it.

And they told me that august 9th is when the westmere will go online for order. Don't believe me, call them!!

18. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Haha, thanks for the info! I'll believe you since I'm too lazy to call. :p

19. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Hey, you can always do a quick chat with them on their Apple store. Actually, I'll try doing that now myself.

Ahh, I ended up cancelling my iMac order as it hasn't shipped. I'm now thinking of just getting the base Mac Pro as it will be more than enough power that I need. I'll wait until the Mac Pros go up for sale so I can see the exact pricing on BTO options before making a well informed decision. So the sooner they go up, the better!

20. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Cool, report back if they give you any info! :)

21. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Roman is right!

Hi, my name is Cynthia S. Welcome to Apple!

Cynthia S: Hi there!

You: hi cynthia, do you know when the new Mac Pros will be up for sale on the online store? I know it says coming in August, but is there a more precise time frame?

Cynthia S: August 9.

You: Thank you very much!

22. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Whoa, that's crazy! Did they really just tell you that quick?

23. hlipnick macrumors newbie

Weird. I just had nearly the exact same conversation with the same Apple chat rep (screen cap below)

Attached Files:

24. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yes, I am truly surprised myself. Seriously, is this the same Apple? :p But yea, very fast and straight to the point.

You can always prove it yourself by going to a chat yourself.

25. keewe macrumors member

why didnt u ask for the pricing of the 6 core?:p
    anyway... good news, thx for sharing.:)