When to Buy a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by lojack57, Aug 17, 2017.

?

When to buy 13" MacBook Pro

  1. Now to get the Beats

    94.4%
  2. Wait until it comes with High Sierra

    5.6%
  1. lojack57 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2017
    #1
    I have decided that I want to buy a MacBook Pro. Currently, the Beats promotion is going on, but I am seeing how big of a deal macOS High Sierra will be. So here's the questions:

    Should I buy now to get the Beats and download the update? Or wait until the MBP comes with High Sierra, (but no Beats)?

    (Any inside knowledge of when High Sierra will be released?)

    Thanks for your help!
     
  2. Morpheo macrumors 65816

    Morpheo

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2014
    Location:
    Paris/Montreal
    #2
    High Sierra will be released a couple months from now. No reason to wait, get it now and enjoy your Beats! In 2 months it's going to be the same model as now. Do it, you know you want to! ;)
     
  3. cambookpro macrumors 603

    cambookpro

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #3
    High Sierra will be a free update in September. No reason to wait.
     
  4. lojack57 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2017
    #4
    Should mention that I had an early 2011 MBP that had a hard time with an update. So that's where my paranoia comes from..
     
  5. cambookpro macrumors 603

    cambookpro

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #5
    I had my Mac kernel panic once installing a Tiger update and had to reinstall everything from scratch (luckily had a backup in the days before Time Machine), but it's never happened again. Things like that happen, but it's rare! 99.9% of the time you'll have no problems installing updates - and I wouldn't artificially keep yourself on an older OS due to security updates which come with newer ones.

    Buy the Mac now if you can afford it, and just update it as usual. It'll probably be fine - and if it's not, just have a backup (which you should anyway).
     
  6. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

    mikecwest

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2013
    #6
    I don't want a new MacBook Pro, I really like my early 2011 MBP, upgraded to 16GB of 1600Mhz ram (it came with 4 GB 1333) an a 1TB SSD.

    Tomorrow, my MBP will undergo surgery, to replace a broken hinge and clutch cover. Both hinges, the clutch cover and new set of screws were purchased for about $20.00. I hope to extend the life by a couple of years.
     
  7. HatMine macrumors member

    HatMine

    Joined:
    May 31, 2016
    Location:
    C:/
    #7
    Your post has nothing to do with his question...

    Anyway, back to topic; I think you should buy now or wait for the next the model depending on how badly you need a new Mac. The reason as to why I say that has nothing to do with macOS High Sierra supposedly working better on the new model, but rather the fact that the next 13" model will likely feature a quad core CPU, which would bump up the performance by a rather large margin (not necessarily in all cases, but definitely in some).

    But with that said, we don't really know when the next model will be out. It is very possible that you'll have to wait half a year or more for it. So if you don't care about the potential quad core CPU, I'd buy a new Mac now and enjoy my free Beats.
     
  8. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

    LarryJoe33

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    Well, first of all, High Sierra ain't that big of an update from Sierra, and surely not worth waiting for it to be pre-installed in a store bought 2017 machine (and it probably won't be, you will have to upgrade. . That said, I have a later 2011 MBP with the same upgrades and High Sierra runs smokingly fast and fine. I think my dilemma would be, do I wait for the 2018 MBP and the announcement in a few months? As everyone said, the OS update is a free update so that should not be your concern.

    I had some issues installing the first beta, but that was because of APFS. De-selcting APFS on the first beta installed fine. Now the updates will just smoothly convert your third party SSD to APFS without even asking.

    Not sure if this helps, but I also don't understand the rationale of your post.
     
  9. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

    mikecwest

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2013
    #9
    Well, it does not directly answer his question, but offers an alternate solution. I was suggesting that if there is nothing wrong with his current Mac, then why get rid of it. I am sure that a good number of users, do not really need any new features that may appear in a new release of a Mac. I don't plan to change mine, unless it goes really bad...After the hinge replacement, it has no big issues that bother me. I know the newer ones might be a little faster, they screen resolution of the display may be a little better...but none of that bothers me.

    But, here to answer the question more precisely. I personally would wait until High Sierra is released, as if a new model is released, it will likely be at the same time as High Sierra is released. If I were planning to buy a new one, and was not pressed for urgency (laptop stolen, fell out of airplane into Salt Lake, or other random catastrophic event). I would plan to utilize the Mac for as long as possible, so waiting a few more weeks or a month, to possibly have a better model for a number of years would be a great thing to me. As far as the "beats" go, I am guessing you are referring a deal that gives you a pair of headphones. I don't use headphones, and keep the computer muted at most times, so that really isn't a thing for me, and would not affect my decision at all.
     
  10. cambookpro macrumors 603

    cambookpro

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #10
    I upgraded from a 2011 to 2016 MBP last year - sometimes it's not always about numbers on the spec sheet. My 2011 quad-core MBP was faster CPU-wise than my 2016 13-inch, but the 13-inch is so much thinner, lighter, more portable, much nicer screen, Bluetooth 4 for Handoff and Continuity, etc.

    Was the first time I had changed a computer for a reason other than it was too slow. My 2011 had the same amount of RAM, same amount of SSD space, more ports, etc., but I wouldn't go back.
     
  11. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

    mikecwest

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2013
    #11
    Yes, I supposed others like you have found other reasons. I use my laptop for work, but sit in a vehicle all day. I only carry it, to and from my car, and sometimes the whole airport thing. The lighter thinner aspect, really is not of benefit to me. As far as the Bluetooth 4 for Handoff / Continuity, I purchased the newer BT4 card on eBay for six dollars before the whole upgrade and use C.A.T. became popular. So that is handled.

    I also dislike the lack of SD card slot on the newer models. I must have an SD card slot for work, or use a dongle. I dislike dongles, and carrying around a bunch of extra stuff.
     
  12. cambookpro macrumors 603

    cambookpro

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #12
    I suppose that's fair enough - I used to use my 2011 essentially as a desktop between two places, but my usage pattern shifted to having to carry it with me all day so halving the weight was a massive deal.

    The SD card slot did catch me out on the second day of owning it, but I picked up a cheap USB-C adapter and don't mind carrying it in my laptop case.

    Different strokes for different folks, I suppose...
     
  13. huanbrother macrumors newbie

    huanbrother

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2012
    Location:
    CHINA
    #13
    If you do not need a new MacBook Pro in a hurry, I suggest you to wait for the update of MacBooks with 8th Generation Intel chips, you might be able to get the low voltage 4c8t CPUs (like the i5-8550U) on the 13 inch MacBook Pros, and with that the option of having a MacBook Pro on the go and having a thunderbolt 3 eGPU docking station at home is becoming more practical and appealing to those who want the best of both worlds.

    IMHO.
     
  14. Nick Milner macrumors member

    Nick Milner

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2017
    #14
    If you want it now, get it now. By the time the next "better" one comes along people will already be telling you to wait for the "even better" one after that.
     
  15. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

    mikecwest

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2013
    #15
    That may be true, but I'd still say just wait for this next one.
     
  16. Nick Milner macrumors member

    Nick Milner

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2017
    #16
    Maximum recursion depth exceeded. ;)
     
  17. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

    LarryJoe33

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Location:
    Boston
    #17
    I feel the same way about my late 2011 MPB. I have made similar upgrades (didn't realize I could have went with 1600 speed ram). I did the SSD, battery and RAM. It runs really fast and I like messing with it. I do think often about getting a new one (I would go with the 15" because it's pretty much the same size as our 13's), but it's hard to justify when my MBP runs as fast as the ones I mess with in the store. The slim factor and space gray is sexy for sure. In terms of the retina display, it's nice, but I am not playing 3D games anymore. They also aren't upgradable like the unibody. I love taking things apart and making them better.

    On that topic though, I have one minor upgrade/issue. I believe I have some scuffs or something on the screen glass(underneath), not the actual display. I would love to take it off clean/replace, but the process looks more involved than I would like.
     
  18. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

    mikecwest

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2013
    #18
    It was amazingly easier than I expected.

    I watched this video before starting. Its in another language, but the visual is clear. I just say pay close attention in the video how to disconnect the display cable. (I broke a similar on in a TomTom device before.)

     
  19. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

    LarryJoe33

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Location:
    Boston
    #19
    Nice work. I watched it. For me, I want to replace the glass screen cover. I’ve watched videos and it’s a lot of suction cups, pulling, scraping glue and re-glueing. Not sure I want to take that on yet.
     
  20. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

    mikecwest

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2013
    #20
    Oh, I didn't open my screen. I took the glass off a iMac 2009, and it was really easy. The video for that one used a toilet plunger :) . I used a RAM-MOUNT-USA suction cup for a custom camera mount instead.

    This isn't the video I watched but:

     
  21. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

    HenryAZ

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2010
    Location:
    South Congress AZ
    #21
    Good advice, and I'd like to add if you buy now, the machine will come with Sierra. If you buy 2-3 months from now, it will come with High Sierra and you can never go lower than High Sierra for an install. Given the money to upgrade (which I wish I had), I would prefer to buy now, and always have the ability to run a mature Sierra, rather than painfully plod through the High Sierra point versions as they upgrade it and work out the bugs.
     
  22. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

    LarryJoe33

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Location:
    Boston
    #22
    I don’t know, High Sierra is pretty much Sierra with all the version patches. Don’t use APFS with High Sierra and it’s pretty much Sierra (plus a few new things).
     
  23. ZapNZs, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017

    ZapNZs macrumors 68000

    ZapNZs

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2017
    #23
    Now is by and far the best time to buy a Mac, IMO. Sierra is a mature platform that is operating very reliably.

    High Sierra is going to have bugs when it comes out - even with the HFS+ version, and APFS is in its infancy, so it seems likely the APFS version could have unforeseen issues occur upon release. Buy a Mac now and you get the stable Sierra, and you also have the option of upgrading to High Sierra when released, or waiting for the 10.13.2/.3/.4 revisions that will fix the annoyances of the GM, .0 and .1.

    Wait until High Sierra is released and the model you buy may come pre-loaded with 10.13 with no option for 10.12 even if the bugs are problematic. In the case of early versions of Sierra, there were quite a few annoyances, some of which caused interference with productivity. It took several revisions over several months to hammer them all out.

    Admittedly, I am very cautious here, and rather than playing guinea pig when a new OS comes out with my prod systems, I use them in VMs for a while until I am satisfied with what I've got. I just moved my production machines from El Capitan to Sierra. I'll probably move to High Sierra with APFS in late 2018/early 2019 if APFS proves itself to be justifiable over an extended period. YMMV.
     
  24. ashleykaryl macrumors regular

    ashleykaryl

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #24
    I had a 13" MBP arrive this morning for my daughter. It's a nice little machine, though I was expecting it to be a bit faster with Photoshop. This is the i7 3.5 with 16 gigs of ram. As others have said, no real reason to delay.
     

Share This Page