When to Buy a perfect 17'' Unibody...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by James Cole, Mar 9, 2009.

1. James Cole macrumors 6502

Ok so I don't know if you guys have catched all my rants over this forum...

Had a 17'' Uni Twice... ended up getting a refund... can't stand having a much dimmer screen than my 15'' Uni. (I know I am a cry baby and hey **** you!)

It's not normal to have a dim screen... even apple told me so, I think for 3k+ its cool to be a pain in the ass as I am with this details.

So the point of this post is to help others and me figure out when its safe to buy a perfect 17''... What I mean by this is... to check out which Week builds are coming fine from the factory (brighter screen) ... Or even know the remote possibility of this being a software problem... (I know for a fact twice that reinstalling OSX wont do anything so **** off with that theory)

...Big Problem is not anybody has a 15'' unibody laying around to compare... So Any Ideas??? That battery difference capacity (there is a new thread around) would be interesting to know as well.

Thanks for your humbling comprehension...

JC

Pic for reference

LET ME CLARIFY, THIS IS EXACTLY THE DIFFERENCE IN BRIGHTNESS AS IT LOOKS IN REAL LIFE... THIS IS NOT A CAMERA OR ANGLE EFFECT ERROR.

[​IMG]

2. simonpickard macrumors regular

What difference would knowing the week make?
    There isn't an option when you order that says.. I want a week 5 batch model please! From what I can tell.

Regards,
    Simon

3. James Cole thread starter macrumors 6502

Well Mate... I don't think that Apple is going to be manufacturing good display 17's for just one week and then return to the crappy ones for another and so on... in theory how it works is that apple corrects the problem is some of the latest weeks and then from week X and forward they tend to be fine... Im looking for X

I believe there is a way of knowing by the serial number wich build week is your computer... ( I could be wrong) So it might make it easier to buy on the apple store... Online you are screwed but chances are you are getting even something newer than what they have at the apple store.

4. simonpickard macrumors regular

Oh.. sorry misunderstood....

17th of May 2009 then. You should be 96% or thereabouts safe by this date.

Regards,
    Simon

5. James Cole thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, may I enquire how do you know that?

6. James812 macrumors member

I do not get the complaints...I can never have it on full brightness because to me its too bright...

7. simonpickard macrumors regular

Sorry? I thought this was the guessing game thread! :)
    You pick a random date also and let's see which of us is closest!

8. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I leave mine on full brightness. Nobody leaves it on the lowest brightness option either, but the option is there if they wish to. Same way, they should have higher brightness options like all the other MBPs if we wish to use it. And I do wish to use it, just like many others seem to want to use it.

9. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

http://astrology.yahoo.com/astrology/

10. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

My astrology and horoscope (Scorpio) says the Original Poster is doing the right thing:

"You need to do a little more research before you can take action -- and today is the best possible day to get more info! Your sources are all easy to reach and you can count on what you hear."

He posted here today and is trying to get more info based on what he hears in this forum! :)

11. James Cole thread starter macrumors 6502

NO NO NO NO NO NO... you guys dont get it...

This is not a guessing game... this is the place for someone who got one bright as spec 17'' chime in and say ''heyyyy I got one, its this X week build'' that should give us a better idea on what to look for.

And to the bloke that said he doesn't care as he never even uses full brightness because he probably lives in a cave, remember this:

''Its always better to have all options open''

I don't care if the 17'' at full brightness could melt my face I just want to have the option right there, it its supposed to melt my face then I want it working that way I don't care If am never going to use that setting.

I use this computer for web browsing only and maybe the occasional picture here and video there... this computers are way overkill for what I use them but still I am the kind of guy that buys a 1,000 meter water resistant watch just to know that if he drops it in the sink it will be OK.

12. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I get it buddy.. but they don't exist yet. The only people saying its bright are the ones who have weak eyes and like dim conditions.

13. James Cole thread starter macrumors 6502

I heard somewhere that the 2.93 apparently got better screens, you have one is this true?

14. bossxii macrumors 68000

If we don't have a 15" to compare to how can we tell you this though? My 17" is to damn bright to look at unless I am in outside or in a fairly bright room. In the evening with only lamps running in the room or whatever there is no way I can have it full brightness without it giving me a headache. I am posting while at 60% brightness in a room with two lamps running and it's plenty bright. I do run up the brightness to 90% or so when viewing video but other than that no issues with it all.

If I run across someone with a 15" uni I'll try to compare and comment later.

15. bossxii macrumors 68000

ROFL... weak eye's... ok Dr. that explains everything!!

16. James Cole thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the problem right there...

LET ME CLARIFY, THIS IS EXACTLY THE DIFFERENCE IN BRIGHTNESS AS IT LOOKS IN REAL LIFE... THIS IS NOT A CAMERA OR ANGLE EFFECT ERROR.

[​IMG]

Can you spot the difference lol...

17. simonpickard macrumors regular

"NO NO NO NO NO NO... you guys dont get it... "

NO NO NO I do! I do! I just think it's pointless!

There are so many variables outside of your control regarding this product that all this thread will do is confuse people.

I can see it now...

"Well Mr X over there got a good screen, and his was from week 3, oh.. but it didn't have the 2.93Ghz CPU option.. maybe that's it..?"

"No that can't be it... I've just got the 2.93Ghz CPU, however I did see a black cat this morning... Damn it! I knew I shouldn't have got one today! Or at least got one with the 7200RPM upgrade Like Mr Y told us all to do when seeing black cats. What was I thinking!!"

"You think you've got it bad! I unboxed my MBP and they had left out the laptop! All I got was a BigMac in there! I took it back to the apple store but as I ate the BigMac they are now saying I can't get a refund! All I wanted was a good screen and all I got was a bit fatter! :("

"I can beat that! I'm on my 25th 17" Unibody. 25 I tell you!! And yep.. it's going back as well! What really gets to me is that I've had 24 perfectly good ones but I sent them back as well for some reason that I can't remember now! I think it's cos someone said May is the worst month for DDR3 or something! Well they aren't going to beat me.. I'm going to get another, and another until I get a another so there!"

By the way.. I made these comments up.

Regards,
    Simon

18. James Cole thread starter macrumors 6502

Point taken Mr.Pickard

But just look at the pictures... this is a huge difference. You can go to the apple store right now and see it... I guess Apple will fix this... I mean the store manager knew the problem and said Apple was aware of it...

Oh yeah and the OSX image error is bull my friend... apple screwed up the screen on this one...

19. simonpickard macrumors regular

Yep.. the 17" looks to have better colour balance, while the 15" looks washed out due to someone setting the brightness too high.

Regards,
    Simon

20. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

actually to me it looks like the 17 inch is a better screen, the blacks are more black, on the fifteen in it just looks slightly washed out.

21. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Anyone can see that the image as seen on the 17" is far, far preferable to the washed out one on the 15". All the photo proves is that you prefer anaemic-looking goldfish to healthy, colorful ones.

22. simonpickard macrumors regular

Hahah snap!

I guess this shows us something..

There's a difference between those that want the max brightness possible and those who care about what the result looks like.

Regards,
    Simon

23. James Cole thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol... yes the colors are much better on the 17'' it has that 60% better color gamut thing... and I can confirm that by what I saw... But still brightness should be very equal... wich it isnt...

There is actually a photo in this forums where someone got one that has a very similiar picture to this one and they both are equially bright only difference is that colors are much better on the 17'' thats the computer that I want.... cant find that pic now.

24. James Cole thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep I also could be wrong and the better screen is the less brighter one with better colors... but thats not very probable... the better screen should be the brightest with the best colors... the brighter the screen the more real life the colors normally.

25. simonpickard macrumors regular

I give up.

See ya!

Regards,
    Simon