When to buy

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iBotz, Mar 6, 2010.

1. iBotz macrumors newbie

My birthday is Friday and my parents are willing to get me a Mac Pro. However I know if I order a current MP in a week the 10 will be released. Should I order a current 8-core or wait.

2. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

wait for Gulftown (6 core) this month and see what apple does with that, if nothing then get the current model.

3. NoManIsland macrumors regular

If you can manage it, I'd say wait. I have the feeling that Apple is going to surprise us this time round ;)

4. MitchLewis macrumors member

I'm waiting for an announcement on the 16th. If there's no announcement, then I'm buying a current model MacPro.

BTW, Apple has a 14 day upgrade/exchange policy that starts the day your computer is shipped. NOTE: The day it is SHIPPED....not when you receive it.

5. iBotz thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I ship it on Tuesday, and it gets here on Friday and then next tuesday they upgrade it I can return it?

6. MitchLewis macrumors member

I think you can request a "swap" or something. I don't know exactly how it works, but my regional Apple rep assured me that if you ask you can get a free upgrade within 14 days of shipping.

So yeah, that's my plan to get through March. If nothing is announced March 16th, then we'll order and that should take care of us in case they announce something before the end of the month. Heck, they may not ship for a week after I place the order, so that will get us into the first week of April.

7. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

it could be a EX rev. cpu w/ 8 cores. that would make the dual core 16 real cores & 16 HT cores... Sweet!

8. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Both the 6-core and 8-core revisions are said to be absurdly expensive, it will be interesting to see what Apple does with the pricing.

9. cured.not.dried macrumors member

That would justify the precedent for high pricing on the Pro line continuing through this revision, would it not?

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not complaining, as with Apple when you pay top dollar you get better components. ei. custom fabricated mobo/best cpu available...

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The Nehalem-EX processors are not going in the Mac Pro.

For the record the custom board in the 2009 Mac Pro had less features than off the shelf boards and they didn't use the fastest processors available.