When to expect 2013 rmbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AndreasM, Dec 22, 2012.

1. AndreasM macrumors newbie

When do you think that an upgrade of the rmbp will be during 2013. I was going to purchase the 13 retina but since the spec/performance of it was a bit disapointing I have decided to wait for next version which hopefully will include haswell(quad core), 16 gb ram and discrete graphics.

So will I have to wait until June or even worse for October to get this you think?

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Haswell won't be released till April, same month Ivybridge was released on. Fairly safe to say you're going to have to wait till at least June.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It looks like only the desktop cpus will be released in April with notebook cpus released later. Even if Apple wraps a case around them quickly, it will take some time. I agree with you about it being at least June for the notebooks. Typically Apple won't release desktops until the notebooks are out, so I'd guess something like notebooks out around June to July with desktops following by August or September. The mini came out first this time. Typically it never hits prior to the imac.

4. tivoboy macrumors 68030

later than June

I'll take the bet. I don't think it will be June, but rather later. I've been hearing some grumblings from within Intel about processor engineering problems with Haswell.

5. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Q4/2013 or Q1/2014.

before that happens, we will see better IB mobile CPUs, probably Q2/2013.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've been dropped a hint from my Apple Guru..."wait until August" I'm going to get another 13" Ultimate when they are released but will hang onto my current MBA for now...

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Shortly after Haswell is released in the spring of 2013.

8. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

My guess would be late summer or during the fall of 2013 after they've gotten enough new CPUs into the hands of them assemblers. Apple may do something other than just re-spec current products too - truth is no one can tell you what will happen.

9. Hexley macrumors 6502a

Dedicated GPUs would be nice for a start. Pushing that much pixels need something more than integrated GPUs even if it is a Intel HD 4600.

10. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

What does this mean?

11. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

12. AndreasM thread starter macrumors newbie

Really hope that I wont need to wait until 2014 :(

Strange situation for me. I have had the possibility to choose a mac at my new job since early summer but up unitl this date there is no really good solution for me.

cmbp 13 (bad screen)
    rmbp 13 (bad cpu, bad mem, bad graphics)
    rmbp15 (too big for me)

Guess I will have too stick to pc for another half or whole year. Sad because I'm really looking forward to try mac.

13. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

The 15" rMBP isn't as a huge as the screen size seems to imply. Coming from a 13" MBA I was surprised how fast I adapted to the 15" rMBP. As you can't know what will be available next year, you may want to give the 15" a try nevertheless...

14. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Are you kidding me - just get the 15 rMBP.

15. Ploki macrumors 68000

15" mac equals 13" pc in terms of portability :)

16. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I think it is because they are trying to get 2x the graphics power within the same thermal envelope and that is no easy task.

17. AndreasM thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm, maybe need to take another look at the 15. It feels like a very good machine so if I just can accept the slighter bigger format it could be an alternative.

18. Ploki macrumors 68000

Honestly I was waiting for a 13" quad core for the same reasons, but the retina feels much lighter compared to the old 15". If you can go to a store and grab it, weight it. It's a completely different feeling.

19. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

20. saggel macrumors regular

MacBook Pro 2013

Merry Xmas to everyone.
    I am not sure if someone has asked that before...
    but, I'll probably be able to buy a new macbook pro at some time around March.

Do we have any hint of when a new macbook pro will be released (or an update of the previous model maybe) so that I can wait to get the latest model?

I know what you think, but I still have a white early 2008 macbook, so if I'm getting something, it does make sense for it to be the latest model as I'm planning to keep it for an other 5 years as I did with my current macbook.

Thank you all in advance!

21. Ploki macrumors 68000

I've been through the same ordeal, I have a 2008 unibody, and latest update is well into 6months of its existence.

My personal opinion (that helped me jumped the boat) is that Haswell will mostly improve powerconsumption/performance ratio and integrated graphics performance. As such is a great contender for the Macbook Air and 13" Macbook Pro line up.

The only CPU suitable for the retina 15" bump is the 2.8ghz version of i7 quad ivy bridge, no gpu upgrade or anything, so you will probably have to wait more than till march 2013 for anything fundamentally better than this.

If you ask me, buy it... you can still sell it and replace it if you feel something fundamentally better has happened in the refresh. I doubt you will though, upgrading from a 2008 macbook to what they offer now is a big big step.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This question is asked quite a lot in fact.

Apple offers no hints of future models and since Haswell is not going to hit the streets until April or later, I'd say a MBP refresh isn't going to happen until summer of 2013

23. AndreasM thread starter macrumors newbie

Went to Apple Store today and compared the 15 to 13. And I must say that the 15 might be light and slim but it felt nevertheless insanely big compared to the 13.

Think I need to compare the 15 to my Asus U36S(which is 13 inch) before I can decide on moving away from the nice and portable 13 size.

24. gto55 macrumors 6502a

gto55